New Government in Canada

Justin Trudeau will be Canada’s next prime minister after leading the Liberal Party to a stunning majority government win, dashing the hopes of Stephen Harper, who had been seeking his fourth consecutive mandate, but will now step down as party leader.
This will be the second time for Canada to be led by a Trudeau, as the 43-year-old Liberal leader follows in the footsteps of his father, Pierre Elliott Trudeau, who served as prime minister for almost 16 years before retiring in 1984.

Justin Trudeau pledges ‘real change’ as Liberals leap ahead to majority government - Politics - CBC News

I can not speak for Canada because I know little of their politics. Do they have unrestricted influxs of aliens? Has their government services been overwhelmed with special privileges given to these aliens? What kind of incidents have been occurring in Canada and frequency?

Will this new leader go the route we have been seeing with other world leaders in allowing elements in that are disruptive? I would love to hear from Canadians on the subject.

Where is the Viking? (Old members know whom I am talking about)

I see him on FB. All I know is that he’s been posting plenty about Harper and Trudeau.

I have been far more interested in the Blue Jays playoff run than Canadian politics but I will give my take.

It was evident Justin Trudeau was going to win, his father Pierre won in the 1970’s, he crafted the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. My opinion from the start was that whoever won I didn’t want it to be a majority as it gives too much centralized power, the Liberals won with a majority so it will be an interesting four years.

The key points:
Canada will now run a deficit, three years in a row projected after Canada had balanced it’s budget the last two years.
Marijuana is apparently going to be legalized.
Canada will welcome 25,000 Syrian refugees.
Tax increases for top 1%, tax breaks for middle class.
Canada will be immediately withdrawing from attacking ISIS.
Major push to address transparent and accountable government and agencies.

The leader of the Conservatives was Stephen Harper. The fact is he had fallen out of favour for a number of reasons, I was one who wanted a new Conservative leader, but he didn’t step down and it cost them dearly. The party had become mean spirited and ideologically rigid. I wouldn’t mind seeing Peter McKay the current Justice Minister running the Conservative party, though time will tell.

If the Liberal party acts as it has promised and they ensure accountability from our government (always promised, never delivered in Canada) than I will be able to accept some of their economic decisions with at least some faith in the process. Of course, promises and actions are quite different, so again time will tell.

Much like the Republicans in America, the Conservatives in Canada need better leadership. There were some members of Harpers caucus who I simply didn’t respect nor like and if I didn’t like them I can just imagine how Liberal supporters viewed them.

[quote=“shockedcanadian, post:3, topic:47522”]

The leader of the Conservatives was Stephen Harper. The fact is he had fallen out of favour for a number of reasons, I was one who wanted a new Conservative leader, but he didn’t step down and it cost them dearly. The party had become mean spirited and ideologically rigid. I wouldn’t mind seeing Peter McKay the current Justice Minister running the Conservative party, though time will tell.
[/quote]Remember, elections to third or especially fourth terms (in our country) or mandates (in your country) are rare. Even Trudeau the Smarter was defeated by the totally inadequate Joke Lark and it took a few months of his flub-a-dub for Trudeau to get back in. Even then he didn’t try again. He went for his famous “walk in the snow” and let John Napier Turner face the carnage. As for my own “choice” for next leader, though I don’t get a vote here, it would be Jason Kenney. I think returning to Peter McKay would mean a return to the old PCPC. That didn’t end well.

If the Liberal party acts as it has promised and they ensure accountability from our government (always promised, never delivered in Canada) than I will be able to accept some of their economic decisions with at least some faith in the process. Of course, promises and actions are quite different, so again time will tell.
[/quote]Chretien is the model we should expect.

Much like the Republicans in America, the Conservatives in Canada need better leadership. There were some members of Harpers caucus who I simply didn’t respect nor like and if I didn’t like them I can just imagine how Liberal supporters viewed them.
[/quote]I agree with your point here; conservatives, whether Republicans in the U.S. or Conservatives (or their predecessor the PCPC in Canada) don’t do well in arranging for an ideological future. While there were plenty of Liberals such as Chretien and Martin, fully prepared by Trudeau the Smarter, waiting to pounce when Mulroney built and then destroyed his party, Mulroney and Harper prepared nobody (Campbell doesn’t count). Reagan left behind GWHB, a RINO (Republican in Name Only). Giuliani as New York Mayor and Pataki as New York Governor left behind no ideological successors. We have to do better in having greater depth. Harper was a one man band, and when people grew tired of him there was nowhere to go