New here

Have been a resident of Arizona since 1999 (when I retired) and am a registered “Independent” voter, though I usually vote Republican . . . NEVER Democrat.

Was in the US Marine Corps from 1966 to 1970 . . . am a Viet Nam vet.

Just chose the username that best expressed my total disregard for BHO.

Books on Winston Churchill and WWll history are my favorite. Generally like non-fiction, but anything by James Michener is good.

Recovering from the economic meltdown is a political focus.

This election has prompted me to visit conservative forums like this.

Hi and welcome! Former Navy here ('80s).

Welcome aboard, sir and thank you for your service

Welcome to RO the best posting board on the web, you’ll love it here.

:usa:

Big Gun United States Marines in Combat - YouTube

Welcome. Thanx so much for your service and for your family’s sacrifice in supporting your service. Enjoy the meal.

[quote=“ObamaNOT, post:1, topic:37082”]
Have been a resident of Arizona since 1999 (when I retired) and am a registered “Independent” voter, though I usually vote Republican . . . NEVER Democrat.

Was in the US Marine Corps from 1966 to 1970 . . . am a Viet Nam vet.

Just chose the username that best expressed my total disregard for BHO.

Books on Winston Churchill and WWll history are my favorite. Generally like non-fiction, but anything by James Michener is good.

Recovering from the economic meltdown is a political focus.

This election has prompted me to visit conservative forums like this.
[/quote]I see you are a superman fan

[quote=“samspade, post:6, topic:37082”]
I see you are a superman fan
[/quote]On your knees, before Zod!

@All,

Thanks very much for the warm welcome. Nice to see “compassionate conservatism”.

BJ

Thanks for your service and welcome.

[quote=“Fantasy_Chaser, post:2, topic:37082”]
Former Navy here ('80s).
[/quote]While I was in the USMC, I had a lot of dental work done by the Navy docs. That dental work lasted for decades, and it always stuck in my mind that the Navy had the best dental docs I have ever been to. Of course, I’m not saying the Navy was only good for dental docs . . . I have the highest regard for Navy guys, though we in the USMC always took a poke at the “ice cream hats”.

They wear different uniforms now, don’t they? No more bellbottoms or jumpers? Baseball caps now?

When I went through drownproofing training, the Navy guys oversaw the operation. I remember when they swung me in the parachute harness over the pool, they released it right when I was in position for a big belly flop . . . OW!!! They really enjoyed “drownproofing” us jarheads.

Zod would be trembling on his knees before these handsome fellows:

I had some dental work in the Navy, and I do recall years later when I had a wisdom tooth pulled that they’d filled, the guy who was pulling it described the filling work as “heroic.”

We still had the bellbottoms and jumpers when I was in, although the ball caps were optional for the dungarees in most cases. Always the dixie cup hats for dress purposes. I remember when I graduated from the last of my non-specialized avionics courses at NAS Memphis (no longer an NAS, and the north side of the base where the airfield was is now a civilian airport), we were allowed to choose which dress uniform to graduate in. The Marines in our class chose some green one with a tie, if I remember correctly; I was think those uniforms were called “alfas,” but I may be misremembering. We chose blue jumpers, which were the best looking Navy uniform for E-6 and below. And even though the Marines’ uniforms weren’t their dressiest type, we looked about equal in that regard…

Welcome to RO! and thank you for your service.

All you need is a frying pan and a little oil

Have fun tryin’…

[quote=“Trance, post:12, topic:37082”]
All you need is a frying pan and a little oil
[/quote]ANYTHING sauteéd with garlic and white wine, especially clams, is going to taste good. Hell, even MUD sauteéd with garlic and white wine would taste good.

Welcome!!!

Thank you for your service! I see you live near a famous, relocated, bridge.

[quote=“PeteS_in_CA, post:15, topic:37082”]
I see you live near a famous, relocated, bridge.
[/quote]I’m guessing you’re talking about the London Bridge down in Lake Havasu? That’s about an hour away from us. Typical tourist trap, though it’s interesting to see it ONE time. Mostly shops selling trinkits . . . but, as I said, worth ONE visit.

Roger That!

:flag:

welcome

Thanks again to all that have welcomed me since my last “thanks”.

My own first impression . . . this board is my preference on conservative boards I visit.

Just testing to see if my signature shows up.