New Toilet

No not really but years ago I put one of those supposed water savers in one of my toilets and it never worked right so I just replaced it. The ball cock was overflowing the toilet and the flush mechanism never did work the way it was promised.

The system had two buttons that had one that supposed to remove just liquid waste and the other a full flush that removed everything. I found that I still had to use a full flush to even remove liquid waste.

I had saw this on Ask This Old House but it never lived up to expectations.

1 Like

Yep, the first ones were atrocious for having to be flushed several times to do their job.

However, I have had three installed over a period of a few years, and they basically have to be flushed a second time less than 1 out of a 100 uses; maybe even 1/200!

2 Likes

Outhouse, still the least trouble----------------------------------except for smell, but a rose bush or two fixes that.

1 Like

NJC, you’d love the decor in our back bath…
Linda Spivey Outhouses - Bing Images

1 Like

2cent, your mind is always in the toilet isn’t it.

1 Like

Wonderful!!! grew up with a few. Even on old school house In Bullville NY we had the outhouse in the back, and a pot belly stove in the center of the room. [back in the 40’s]

1 Like

We had an outhouse at home, but the school was quite “modern” - it sported chemical toilets with big tanks in the basement. Or maybe they weren’t chemical. But they weren’t “flush” toilets. Maybe they just pumped the tanks out periodically.

We didn’t have electricity until '48, but the school (and nearly everyone else in the community) had it in '46. Our REA company had been started in '39, but was put on hold for the duration of the war.

1 Like

I agree that these have gotten much better, a couple years ago I replaced a very old toilet with an elongated and slightly higher “efficiency model” that was on sale at Home Depot for 80 bucks, I figured it was worth 80 bucks to see if these have really improved.

This is a GREAT crapper, it never needs a second flush and is far faster at flushing and refilling than the 40 year old American Standard I took out. My house is always full of people, adults as well as kids and grand-kids but this toilet has never required a plunging like the one old style that I still have in the half bath.

The seat was junk on the 80 dollar model but for that great a toilet I do not mind spending some additional money on a really good seat.

When I was real little, I remember that my grandma and grandpa’s house had a pot bellied stove.

We installed one of those a couple of years ago. It works well most of the time but, our son seems to clog it at least once per month.:rofl:

My oldest boy was the usual culprit when that occurred with our old toilet, many years of coaching about toilet paper volume and utilizing multiple flushes when in doubt altered his behavior some.

By “Coaching” I mean making him be the one who had to clear the clog and restore the bathroom to pristine condition :grin:

1 Like

He still does it anyway. However, lately, he has been given a pass because he is recuperating and can’t stand for long periods of time. That will change soon.

2 Likes

Yep! That’d be me! :slayer:

1 Like

My mother, born in '29, has little to no memory of an outhouse; except when she was sent by her parents to go pick tobacco down south in her teens. It was one of the favorite memories of her life.
Still, she most assuredly appreciated “modern conveniences” when she got back home.

Yes, I realize many homes waited far beyond some areas for those “modern conveniences.” But what I don’t get is why it’s anything to brag on.

Not so much to brag on as the memories of the past . My mother , born in '15 in Shanghai China, had wonderful memories of the modern conveniences in Shanghai, but in the summer they would travel up river by boat and then servant held sedan chairs to a high mountain retreat in Mokensan a 3 day travel. there they had to go to a creek for water [ servants with double yoke and buckets ] bathroom was a curtained off area down a hill with a log for a seat. Out there they were real pioneer family. [ by the way the inventor of the flush toilet was Thomas Crapper.]

1 Like

Years ago the toilet in the main bathroom had to be flushed over and over and it clogged. A plumber was called and the culprit was that the flapper had a float on it which was causing all the problem. A simple flapper was put in and the toilet worked fine. It only cost $100 to find this out.

1 Like

You could’ve bought a new toilet for that! Oh, goody, here’s a place to use this long-dormant smiley:

1 Like

Send the bill to Thomas Crapper.

1 Like

[quote=“Susanna, post:17, topic:42792”]
You could’ve bought a new toilet for that! Oh, goody, here’s a place to use this long-dormant smiley: