NFL Week 7

All my teams that were on TV won today, and a few that weren’t . . . very satisfying.

TV: Packers over the Panthers, Miami beat Chicago, Arizona whipped the Raiders, and Denver outscored San Fran.

Not on TV but won to my liking: Redskins over the Titans; Rams beat the Seahawks (Seahawks lost last two . . . aren’t looking as good this year); Colts whipped the Bengals; Bills squeaked by the Vikings, 17 to16; Lions squeaked by the Saints, 24 to 23; and the Chiefs over the Chargers.

Now if the Steelers can win Monday night, I’ll have a sweep for TV games.

A few that weren’t on TV lost, plus, my team didn’t win Thursday night (Patriots squeaked by the Jets, 27 to 25).

My losses: Ravens really whipped the Falcons, 29 to 7; Jaquars likewise over the Browns, 24 to 6; and the Cowboys beat the Giants (which I particularly didn’t like,'cause I hate the Cowboys . . . well, Jerry Jones).

All in all, a pretty good day though . . . at least on TV.

1 Like

Streelers came back from 13-0 deficit in the first quarter and . . . WON, 30-23.

Particularly fun for me to watch was the Steelers scoring three touchdowns back to back in the last minutes of the second quarter. Went from 13-0 to 13-24 in a matter of minutes and was a nice momentum shift.

Good game (for me, that is).

2 Likes

I was going for the Steelers over the Texans as well. I have always been a Green Bay and Dallas fan. I grew up as a Dallas fan with Green Bay a second favorite. For years now the Packers have been my favorite with the Cowboys as my second. I grew sick of the Jerry Jones atmosphere and also like more Packers players. This is a good year with both teams doing well so far. This week it was good the Bears and Vikings lost, but I was hoping for a Lions loss as well. Living in the KC area I am also glad the Chiefs won over a divisional rival. Also my brother is a Steelers fan and I can’t stand Houston. So, overall it was a good week.

[quote=“Right_Wing, post:3, topic:44970”]
I was going for the Steelers over the Texans as well. I have always been a Green Bay and Dallas fan. I grew up as a Dallas fan with Green Bay a second favorite. For years now the Packers have been my favorite with the Cowboys as my second. I grew sick of the Jerry Jones atmosphere and also like more Packers players. This is a good year with both teams doing well so far. This week it was good the Bears and Vikings lost, but I was hoping for a Lions loss as well. Living in the KC area I am also glad the Chiefs won over a divisional rival. Also my brother is a Steelers fan and I can’t stand Houston. So, overall it was a good week.
[/quote]Yeah, I remembered you were a Green Bay kinda’ guy. Rogers is on fire. Jordy Nelson isn’t too shabby either.

Too bad they lost Woodson back to his old Raiders, though he’s getting up there anyway. Still got Clay Matthews though.

I don’t like Houston that much either, but I DO enjoy watching J.J. Watt. Surprisingly, he didn’t bat any of Rothlisberger’s passes down, but that may have been because of Rothlisberger’s height (I bet he’d snag a coupla’ Brees’s passes though.) He DID bring down Big Ben a few times though, an accomplishment itself.

I noticed that Ben started getting the ball off quickly after Watt caught him a few times. Can’t hold on to the ball as long as Ben usually does when Watt’s storming across the line.

Watt is one of those guys I’d like to see play for a Superbowl contender, but I don’t think many can afford him.

Troy P. (can’t spell his last name) is way past his prime, but I still enjoy watching him. It was funny when he launched himself over the Houston line off sides. He’s usually pretty good in that timing, but this time he blew it.

Andy Reid is doing pretty good at KC. I like him a lot.

Romo and Jason Witten are the two players I like at Dallas, but I just can’t get past the smell of Jones.

I don’t like any of the players at the Bears, particularly Cutler. I did like them in the days of Ditka, the Fridge, and McMahan, but those days are long gone.

I guess the Lions are the biggest Divisional rivals for the Pack now? I’m not really a Lions fan, but I like the Saints even less . . . which was why I was rooting for the Lions this past week. Stafford is good but Rogers is wayyyyy better.

1 Like

That was a great game by Dallas. That’s what they get for wearing blue at home.

just watched Packers-Patriots.

concluded that someone with CHF (like me) maybe should not watch football.

but, all’s well that ends well!

The Packers-Patriots game was satisfying, and so also was the San Diego-Baltimore game.

I’m not necessarily a San Diego fan, but since the Ravens are divisional rivals for my Steelers (who performed miserably today), I always root against Baltimore.

It’s a good football day when Manziel’ s starting debut ends up in a 30-0 loss. But, the Packers lost. At least Detroit is losing and hopefully Dallas wins tonight.

[quote=“Right_Wing, post:8, topic:44970”]
It’s a good football day when Manziel’ s starting debut ends up in a 30-0 loss. But, the Packers lost. At least Detroit is losing and hopefully Dallas wins tonight.
[/quote]Rodger’s was way way off today.

You know I dislike Dallas because of Jerry Jones, though Romo did pretty good tonight and so did Witten. And Dez also, although he seems like a junior Terrel Owens. I DO like Philly, but Sanchez was pretty much like his old self at the Jets.

I believe Detroit did pull it out barely over the Vikings. Sorry.

But the thing that got me the most tonight was when I saw Chris Christie in Jerry Jones’ sky box.

I didn’t like Jones to begin with, and now I like him even less (not sure that’s even possible anyway.)

Don’t have a clue why Christie is a Cowboy fan. He even has a football, signed by Troy Aikman prominently displayed in his mayoral office in Trenton. I am a Cowboy fan. Have been since I moved to Texas in 1968 after leaving the service. My mother–who lived near Indianapolis–was an AVID Cowboy fan. I never did understand why, though.

I don’t necessarily dislike the PLAYERS (though “America’s Team” seems to attract prima donna’s like one time player Terrell Owens and current rock star Dez Bryant). It’s the current owner, the arrogant, pompous, obnoxious Jerry Jones that I have a problem with.

Do I know him personally? Of course not. Maybe in reality the guy is a humble soft-spoken owner that is “misunderstood”.

I wouldn’t deny that some big shots have huge ego’s and despite, or maybe because of, that characteristic, they are successful. But Jones is way way over the top there.

Is it because that’s the way he’s portrayed by the MSM? Perhaps, but my perception is based on what he’s actually done and said.

I liked Tom Landry, Jimmy Jones, and Barry Switzer. I liked the team in the days that Tex Schramm was the general manager. I liked Roger Staubach and Tony Dorset. I liked that Ditka and Dan Reeves played for the Cowboys.

I like Romo and Witten.

But Jones? NO!

(BTW, when I say I “liked” them, I do not mean I rooted for them. My team has always been the Pittsburgh Steelers.)

1 Like

I liked Jimmy Johnson, Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith and many players from that era. But, the true glory days were with Tex Schramm, Clint Murchison, Tom Landry, Roger Stauback, Tony Dorsett, the Doomsday Defense, Tony Hill, Drew Pearson, etc. Jerry Jones is an egomaniac and even the new stadium is a shrine to himself.

2 Likes

My favorite Steelers Superbowl was X, against the Dallas Cowboys. And this was my favorite moment in it (because it distilled the Pittsburgh Steelers “Steel Curtain” ethos at that time):

From The Stuff Of Steeler Legends - Behind the Steel Curtain

Roy Gerela misses another field goal attempt with the Steelers trailing in Super Bowl X. An exuberant Cliff Harris celebrates by patting the Steelers kicker on the helmet. Lambert rips Harris away from Gerela and throws him to the ground challenging Harris and the other 10 Cowboys on the field to a street brawl. Lambert plays the rest of the game in a controlled rage shutting down the Cowboys run game. “Nobody intimidates the Pittsburgh Steelers.” Lambert says afterward in the locker room. “We’re the intimidators.”

That is IT: “Nobody intimidates the Pittsburgh Steelers

Well . . . back then it was. Unfortunately, the Ravens beat them up in last week’s playoff game . . . AT PITTSBURGH no less, which made it all the more worse.

I couldn’t watch the Packers game yesterday. I knew the Seahawks were just too tough. If I had watched the game, I would have ended up in the ER.

When I am at church, one of the ER docs from the hospital nods and smiles to me across the aisle. You know you’re going to the ER too often when the ER docs greet you like old friends outside the hospital.

For the Packers–next year is another year. I will watch the Budweiser Clydesdale commercials on Superbowl. Otherwise… the Superbowl knows what it can do with itself! (Hey, I’m not a sore loser.)

1 Like

I really didn’t care who won, but was dismayed to watch the Packers blow a 19-0 lead in basically 15 minutes and lose spectacularly.

[quote=“Pappadave, post:15, topic:44970”]
Packers blow a 19-0 lead in basically 15 minutes and lose spectacularly.
[/quote]Yeah, I agree with the announcers . . . the Pack played excellent defense up until the fourth quarter.

That coupled with the fact that Wilson was off himself for the first three quarters accounted for a lot of it.

But Wilson came alive in the fourth quarter and the Pack’s tank was empty.

And I think Rogers was too gimpy. That injured calf I think threw him off. And Jordy Nelson uncharacteristically dropped a few.

I was rooting for the Pack . . . they’re my second favorite team behind the Steelers.

Now I hope the Pats beat the pants off the Seahawks. I don’t normally root for the Pats, especially since they “ruin” the playoffs for my Steelers a lot (although this time it was the Ravens), but since the Steelers are out of it, I want revenge for the Pack.

1 Like

All over the news this AM is that the Pats “cheated” by using deflated balls. The way the Colts played, New England could have beaten them using beach balls! This is supposedly “under investigation” by the NFL. If proven and found guilty (again), they’ll lose a couple of draft picks this Spring. Big deal.

In other words a slap on the wrist, AGAIN. There’s no doubt they were cheating, and it doesn’t matter if the Colts lost. The fact of the matter is New England has been caught multiple times cheating and Bill Belicheat should be permanently banned from the NFL at this point. That he isn’t is a travesty. Then again Art Rooney and Bob Kraft hand picked Goodell and he’s been sweeping their indiscretions under the rug ever since.

1 Like

The Packers went into a “prevent” offense, which is never, ever a good strategy in the playoffs. They took their foot off the gas instead of playing to win.
Play to not lose, and you’ll lose most every time.

3 Likes

Nathan Crosby, the kicker, was the ONLY player to show up yesterday. He almost beat the Seahawks single handedly, but in the e d he needed a couple other players to show up, but nobody was interested.