NKorea: Trump Has 'Lit The Wick Of War'

USA DEPLOYS ANOTHER NUKE WARSHIP… and Kim searches his thesauras for a new way to say the same thing over and over again. This is getting old…well, except the naval buildup - that seems to be new. Sanctions and all the other is just rehashed news releases… oops, looks like i’m to blame too!

Well this sounds new to most people’s ears and scary too: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/congress-warned-north-korean-emp-attack-would-kill-90-of-all-americans/article/2637349

Preemption anyone?

… Uh, that “assessment” came from a Congressman, quoting a science fiction novel.

I’m on the fence as to how “real” this threat is, but I can conclusively say, we would not be without power for a year. Or even a week. We have entire warehouses of transformers waiting to be used as back ups; everything is replaceable. We would not have to wait for a factory somewhere to build them in the event they were fried.

Do those survive the EMP?

Yes, if they’re not connected to the grid when the attack occurs, there’s no miles and miles of power lines to act as collectors for all the induced current created by the distortions in the Earth’s magnetic field to gather and fry them.

These induced currents aren’t even that big, just a few milliamps per a few feet of wire. It’s the gathering of all this current over long distances that make them threatening.

Here are a few facts on EMP: It doesn’t kill people, it the blast that does that…BUT EMP is "line of sight’ hence the blast take place at higher altitudes and what it does is knock out electrical ‘stuff’. Mostly stuff that is connected to the grid or running may possibly be affected. Its employment would be over major cities such as NYC etc due to the concentration of electrical devices. Further from the city and from the sight level of the blast the less the impact.

Things like spike arrestors etc can offer up some protection and other things such as cars etc which are very well built systems and able to absorb eratic electrical loads generally do much better. Many computers may not work so well unless you have an Apple system. Apple and many other products that can work off US/Eur/Asia based electrical without modification will mostly survive.

Its NOT a doomsday device…

That said IMO I don’t see Noko fielding it. Mostly because it brings not so much destruction but rather interruption, unless you are directly under the blast itself. NoKo is not deep in nukes or anything else so I think their goal would max destruction which would be a low level blast over a major city for the people kill and ground level destruction. San Fran, Chicago, NYC, and of course DC would be KEY targests due to population density and the seat of govt.

Things like spike arrestors etc can offer up some protection and other things such as cars etc which are very well built systems and able to absorb eratic electrical loads generally do much better. Many computers may not work so well unless you have an Apple system. Apple and many other products that can work off US/Eur/Asia based electrical without modification will mostly survive.

Its NOT a doomsday device…

That said IMO I don’t see Noko fielding it. Mostly because it brings not so much destruction but rather interruption, unless you are directly under the blast itself. [/quote]

And that’s what this really comes down to: why would the Norks add more complexity onto how their weapon system has to deliver itself, for arguably less effect?

Our military systems are hardened, nothing they throw at us will knock out our capability to respond, and meanwhile, killing a cool million or more of our people would more than get a message across.

Just today I saw another NK message with weirdly worded English like President Trump is the “strangler of peace” … I wonder who writes this non-sense? Is it just translated badly? Feel like I’m watching a poorly dubbed kung-fu movie

I mentioned sometime ago that I feared NKorea was going to be a huge problem with their nukes and all. Some people poo-pooed me and said that NKorea wasn’t a problem. But, NKorea IS a problem…just as I feared. Trump is doing the right thing. He’s not bending over for NKorea’s boy-child dictator, but showing the man-child dictator that he isn’t going to give in to his temper tantrums. I think Trump should order the nuking of NKorea until they get rid of the boy-child dictator.

Okay sure, but do you actually try to understand the Issue? Do you know why the Norks are doing what they’re doing?

Do you understand the drivers of the issue? Or are you just casually observing?

That’s not a good idea. Nuclear fallout is deadly, and it travels.

The threat of fallout is what is currently provoking China to try and stop the Norks from simply performing more tests; they now have 100s of detectors positioned along their border with them, in fear it will creep over and affect their own people.

But If we set off bombs there, we would now provoke both the South, and China. Not to mention the Norks would open fire on the South with their artillery, and kill even more people.

If NKorea sets off bombs, there will be the same dangers, if not worse. Who cares who we piss off??? Everyone is pissed off at us anyway for all kinds of reasons! What I failed to mention in my post is that we should nuke them only after they act first. Then, we’ll show them who’s afraid of the big bad wolf.

… Piss off people through killing people? Are you serious? Are you trying to turn South East Asia into a hegemony for China?

Do you not understand that geopolitics, is politics, and is won or lost just as much through “moral high ground” posturing as in any other matter?

Oh yeah, also, killing people. It’s kind of a commandment on what not to do.

And “acting first” would be what sort of action?

And again I have to ask, Do you know why the Norks are doing what they’re doing?

AS: I’m not going to get into a kerfuffle over this topic. All I’m going to say is that NKorea is a serious threat to us and others. Any illusion of the opposite must be the dems or other libs. What does it matter what their reasons are?? They OPENLY threatened the U.S.!! And that is the last I’m going to say about it. Think what you want AS. Maybe we should send BO over there to negotiate some more politics…

Lil Kim Jong Un is the one who lit the wick of war. He’s the man-child who writes this stuff. He needs to go the way of Saddam…

… Yes, because appealing to the party doulogy solves this issue… so damn well…

I mean politics would never analyze an issue superficially, nooooo way…

Because that would tell you what they’re doing.

They are not crazy, they are not irrational. They’re behaving in a very calculated manner to get what they want.

What they want, clearly isn’t nuclear war, as their regime wouldn’t survive that, so you should think a little more on what it is they could possibly be after.

Here’s hint: think about how China has changed over the past 30 years. Think about what allowed for that change.

Also think about the state of their military. Think about the existence of weapons like these. Think about the downfall of regimes like Qaddafi.

Speech is a tool, and they’re using this bit like an internet troll would; get a rise out of people they can switch around to give themselves a moral high ground.

So do you get what they’re doing now, CT?

I don’t care, AS, what their reasons are. I don’t care. A threat is a threat. I don’t care what their aim is whether it is politics or some other nonsense, they’ve threatened us openly and with hostility. We’ve been warned. Keep that in your hat.

And tools are tools. If you don’t understand what they’re doing, then you won’t even know what the threat is.

Understand the enemy. Or you’ll just end up playing right into their hands.

Is that what you want?

I certainly won’t try to psychoanalyze lil Kim to try to understand him. Like CT, I understand him well enough to know that we’d better do something about him.

I’m not talking about psychoanalyzing or focusing on just Kim.

It’s what the Regime wants. This isn’t psychology, this is Geopolitics. Realism.

If you want to understand geopolitics, it does help to go through a school of thought on it. Just like with economics.

Not so that you use them as an authority, but as a frame a reference to help you consider aspects to the issue you may not be noticing.

I strongly suspect, AS, that I know MUCH better what North Korea “wants” than you do. I’ve actually stared them straight in the face. Have you? They want the productivity of the South Koreans, but do NOT want to do the hard work it would take to achieve it.