No Comparison: Shariah and Jewish Religious Courts

No Comparison: Shariah and Jewish Religious Courts
By Rabbi Aryeh Spero
American Thinker
12/26/10

Many stealth jihadists pushing to have Shariah law instead of American civil law govern American Islamic communities are making the preposterous claim that Shariah Courts are similar to Jewish religious courts that observant Jews often use to adjudicate intra-community disputes. This is entirely inaccurate given that Shariah has as its goal the replacement of American law with Shariah, whereas Beit Din, Jewish religious court, limits its purview and has no intent or desire to flout American law.

Eight hundred years later, as the center of Jewish life shifted westward to Europe, Rabbi Gershom of Germany expanded on the theme of “The Law of the land is the law.” He declared that because something is permitted in religious law does not mean a Jew should exercise that religious right if it is contrary to a fundamental standard and custom of the country where he now resides.

And herein lays an essential difference between those advocating shariah for Islamic communities as opposed to Beit Din in highly observant Jewish communities. Whereas, a Jew finds himself at a Beit Din once or twice in life, and for many never at all, shariah will dominate the individual within the community. He will live under shariah. Shariah is comprehensive, and coercive. It is the ultimate balkanization, wherein a mini nation lives within a broader nation. It is a seceding from the Union - yet with all the privileges of being in that union.

This is a very interesting article, even if you’re “just” nuts about history. It shows the importance of understanding the elements in supposedly analogous situations. Things superficially similar may in fact be very dissimilar.

The Islamic culture has a mindset that the people and their culture is connected, therefore the state, and the culture is connected. Sharia Law is Islamic Culture, therefore the state must be Islamic, even if it is Christan, Jewish, Buddhist, Zorastarian, or whatever. They have a mindset that also every country MUST be Islamic House of Islam/House of War.

Per my experience, I have not seen what is in bold above to be the case. At least, not amongst the Muslims that I know. I have 4 living in my home.

Al Qaida, and most of those sunni whabi’ists have the Ideal that the world that the world is split into the house of war/house of Islam, therefore Jihad must be declared upon all countries which are not Islamic.

True. However, you made no reference to the Taliban or Al-Qaida in your preceeding post.

That is true, The whole Idea of Jihad is to spread Sharia law to non muslim states, or secular muslim states.

According to the Al-Qaida and Taliban types, it is true. My wife and her family have no such beliefs wrt jihad.

Okay, thank you.

You’re welcome.