No early warning for U.S. on Israeli strikes in Syria

The United States was not given any warning before air strikes in Syria against what Western and Israeli officials say were weapons headed for Hezbollah militants, a U.S. intelligence official said on Sunday.
Without confirming that Israel was behind the attacks, the intelligence official said that the United States was essentially told of the air raids “after the fact” and was notified as the bombs went off.

[http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/05/us-syria-crisis-usa-strikes-idUSBRE9440E920130505

I](http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/05/us-syria-crisis-usa-strikes-idUSBRE9440E920130505)f people recall Israel has done this before because past experience has shown that if the U.S. is told we tell the enemy. With our present anti Israeli government those in Israel have had to play their diplomacy this way.

Meanwhile these conflicts are heating up with Iran calling for an attack by Arab nations. Iran a country lead by a government who is actively supporting terrorism with money, weapons, and training.

Throw in the pot various factions of Islam that are fighting among themselves when they are not killing others not of their faith.

Then we have Fat Kim who is vying for a place in history by threatening hostilities while asking for food for the starving population.

In the U.S. our foreign relations have been a disaster. So who does Obama place in charge. A phony medal of honor winner. Someone so bereft of morals-hey just like Obama

I don’t think Israel should ask for approval, nor should we expect that they would.

Good for them for acting on this.

Of course they should not ask anyone for approval and their allies should not expect that. However the flip side of that is they should not expect unconditional support in arms and funding for actions they undertake unilaterally.

I agree with this. That’s why cutting our aid to them (which they don’t need to survive) is in their interest, they won’t have to deal with all the strings attached to it.

I’m thinking there were some very angry people in the WH over the lack of notification. Poor babies. I’m wondering when Israel will give a false notification to the WH and take pix of the rats scurrying after being warned. Or maybe set a trap for the scurrying rats? Just to let the Israel haters know Israel is on to their game and that the game can be used against the Israel haters and the beneficiaries of their hatred.

I would say we cut all foreign aid. It won’t happen though, so let’s deal with the reality we’re given.

I believe that most (or even all) foreign aid should be cut. This is especially true for the countries that hate us. It’s just stupid to give money to them period.

Israel doesn’t need our permission to do anything that is related to ensuring their survival. Also, to the people who think that foreign aid should be cut:

I understand why you want it cut but you make it sound like only Israel is benefiting from this relationship/foreign aid. Israel has done a lot for American military technology and intelligence.

Middle East, foreign relations: How Israel benefits the U.S. - Los Angeles Times

Yeah, they’ve also been noted as one of the top countries that conduct espionage against the US. I’m an American, I couldn’t care less about the Israeli government, their government uses my country to prop themselves up as a quasi-important neo-imperialist. Without the US then israel would be nothing. Why don’t they declare themselves part of the US because then I wouldn’t mind as much giving them money.

Also, Israel has not deployed any troops to assist in our current war. And to my knowledge haven’t sent any to help in any other wars.

To BOP:

You clearly don’t know what you are talking about. Common sense would tell a person to stay quiet on an issue they are not knowledgeable on. Prepared to be taken back to school:

1. While The Pollard Incident (which, I assume, is one of the espionage incidents you are talking about) should NEVER have happened you cannot seriously tell me that we, the United States. do not embark in similar activities on our allies as well. I dare you to try to prove me wrong on this. In a perfect world things like this would not happen but don’t live in a perfect world. We live in a world in which international alliances are only used to advance our own agendas. Stop living in a glass house.
  2. Neo-Imperialist? What in the world are you talking about? 95% of the Israel’s activities are related to ensuring their nation’s survival. PERIOD. I can not name another nation in which foreign policy and national security IS THEIR DOMESTIC POLICY. Yes, Israel needs to spread it’s influence because without influence in the world they would have no allies and without allies they don’t exist. I will assume you aren’t implying that you’d expect a nation to not want influence in matters that effect them directly.
  3. Yes, Israel doesn’t send in troops to help us out in our wars. There are numerous reasons behind this: A. They are under constant attack from their Arabic neighbors. It made no sense for Israel to get militarily involved in Iraq/Afghanistan while at the same time fighting off Hamas in Gaza and Hezbollah in Lebanon. B. We are the United States of America, you cannot be seriously implying that we “need” foreign military help in our squabbles and conflicts.

I’m not even going to respond to the cute little “if they like our money so much why don’t they become apart of us?” comment because you know exactly why that statement was stupid.

You also seemed to barely acknowledge (if not ignore) the article I posted. In which it explicitly states the U.S. benefits of being partners with Israel. Not only does Israel share it’s intell and tech with us, they use our money to create that stuff. So they put our money to GREAT use. But instead you decided to point out the negatives of the relationship that do not outweigh the positives.

I’m…actually going to have to side with Zionist Conservative on this one…consider the war back in '67, Israel was in that alone, even U.S. aid was but a fraction of what it is today and Israel was outnumbered 3-1. They didn’t need our help to win in six days, they didn’t need out help to survive the surprise attacks of Yom Kippur in '73, and they didn’t need our help to build and develop nukes (nukes they “may or may not have”, but seriously everyone knows). Historically speaking Israel is a very, very independent nation.

Exactly. 100% this.

[quote=“Zionist_Conservative, post:11, topic:39358”]
To BOP:

You clearly don’t know what you are talking about. Common sense would tell a person to stay quiet on an issue they are not knowledgeable on. Prepared to be taken back to school:

1. While The Pollard Incident (which, I assume, is one of the espionage incidents you are talking about) should NEVER have happened you cannot seriously tell me that we, the United States. do not embark in similar activities on our allies as well. I dare you to try to prove me wrong on this. In a perfect world things like this would not happen but don’t live in a perfect world. We live in a world in which international alliances are only used to advance our own agendas. Stop living in a glass house.
  2. Neo-Imperialist? What in the world are you talking about? 95% of the Israel’s activities are related to ensuring their nation’s survival. PERIOD. I can not name another nation in which foreign policy and national security IS THEIR DOMESTIC POLICY. Yes, Israel needs to spread it’s influence because without influence in the world they would have no allies and without allies they don’t exist. I will assume you aren’t implying that you’d expect a nation to not want influence in matters that effect them directly.
  3. Yes, Israel doesn’t send in troops to help us out in our wars. There are numerous reasons behind this: A. They are under constant attack from their Arabic neighbors. It made no sense for Israel to get militarily involved in Iraq/Afghanistan while at the same time fighting off Hamas in Gaza and Hezbollah in Lebanon. B. We are the United States of America, you cannot be seriously implying that we “need” foreign military help in our squabbles and conflicts.

I’m not even going to respond to the cute little “if they like our money so much why don’t they become apart of us?” comment because you know exactly why that statement was stupid.

You also seemed to barely acknowledge (if not ignore) the article I posted. In which it explicitly states the U.S. benefits of being partners with Israel. Not only does Israel share it’s intell and tech with us, they use our money to create that stuff. So they put our money to GREAT use. But instead you decided to point out the negatives of the relationship that do not outweigh the positives.
[/quote] Israel was part of the coalition assembled for OEF and OIF. So was Syria for that matter…

I’m American. I don’t care if we conduct espionage on other countries. I care if they do it to us. And no, I’m referring to cyber attacks by Israelis.

Neo-imperialist as in they steal land and impose themselves.

And yet, many other countries assisted us in the wars.

A US Israeli alliance puts the US at risk and both sides are just using each other. I can’t wait to drop Israel as an alliance when the ME is no longer relevant.

I’m sorry, but you really can’t be that delusional can you? How could you EVER think it’s ok for the United States to spy but not for anyone else? And people call ME an “evil imperialist NeoCon”? . That is why people hate America. People like you don’t believe in playing by the same rules. You live in a glass house yet you get upset when people throw stones at you.

Also, they don’t steal land but a student of history and foreign policy would know that. which you are clearly not

Also, I need to ask this because now I’m questioning if this argument is worth my time: Do you even know who Jonathan Pollard IS? and please don’t Wikipedia him.

Oh no, they can try to conduct espionage, I just want them to fail.

Please, they haven’t stolen land? Is that based on their god given right to the land and how it’s been theirs forever? Kind of like how the native Americans had a god given right to theirs? Don’t be ridiculous, they clearly took the land.

I’m sorry my realist interpretation of the world and American self interest bothers you so much.

I included a qualifier about countries that don’t like us. Israel is not one of those countries. At least, they used to like us. They may not now.

Well the settlements in the West Bank and Golan Heights might be considered to be “stolen land” (international law is murky as far as that particular thing goes), but the topic was Israel independence vs American foreign policy was it not?

It was but he asked where I got neo-imperialist from. Anyways point being, I don’t see Israel as an ally more of a partner in mutualism.