No Horses, But Detroit Water Department Employs 'Horseshoer'

Despite having no horses, the water and sewerage department for the city of Detroit employs a horseshoer.

Yet even with a department so bloated that it has a horseshoer and no horses, the local union president said it is “not possible” to eliminate positions.

Union rules have turned the department into a government jobs program, some critics say.

No Horses, But Detroit Water Department Employs ‘Horseshoer’ [Michigan Capitol Confidential]

I was talking to a friend the other day about unions and he was defending them and telling me how it really was the fault of the business owners that businesses relocated not the strikes that I remembered at the time when they were one of the best paid places around to work.

The article points out exactly why businesses have problems with requirements that stifle business and require them to do things that are unproductive.

This article also brings to mind the flap they had years ago about getting rid of firemen on trains

:deadhorse:
But, but, people that cut jobs are evil /sarcasm

Here is a good explanation of what firemen were on trains

How Southern derailed featherbedding « The Cotton Boll Conspiracy

I remember the kerfuffle about the firemen on trains. I remember the first time I saw a diesel-powered train engine.