No Other Gospel

**Galatians 1:6-10 **
6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed.
10 For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.

Commentary
This absolutely includes anything distracting us from the cross, the true Gospel of God saving His children through substitutionary atonement and propitiation by Christ the Savior living an obedient life on earth after being with the Father in eternity past and then bearing the sin of His people through imputation while on the cross and the Father pouring out the cup of His wrath onto the Son. A different gospel is anything which would be extra Biblical, anti-Biblical, and anything people believe needs to be added to the cross and the Gospel message to attract people unto belief as if the cross and Gospel message are not sufficient.

1:6 The word for “so quickly” can mean either “easily” or “quickly” and sometimes both. No doubt both senses characterized the Galatians’ response to the false teachers’ heretical doctrines. The word for “deserting” was used of military desertion, which was punishable by death. The form of this Greek verb indicates that the Galatian believers were voluntarily deserting grace to pursue the legalism taught by the false teachers (Galatians 5:4). “Called you” could be translated, “who called you once and for all” (2 Thessalonians 2:13-14; 2 Timothy 1:8-9; 1 Peter 1:15), and refers to God’s effectual call to salvation (Romans 1:7). Grace of Christ. God’s free and sovereign act of mercy in granting salvation through the death and resurrection of Christ, totally apart from any human work or merit (Romans 3:24). Different gospel (2 Corinthians 11:4) The Judaizers’ perversion of the true Gospel. They added the requirements, ceremonies, and standards of the Old Covenant as the necessary prerequisites to salvation (Galatians 3:3, 4:9, 5:7, Philippians 3:2).

1:7 trouble. The Greek word means “to shake back and forth,” meaning to stir up or agitate. Here it refers to the dep emotional disturbance the Galatian believers experienced. Distort. To turn something into its opposite. By adding law to the Gospel of Christ, the false teachers were effectively destroying grace, turning the message of God’s undeserved favor toward sinners into a message of earned merit and favor. The Gospel of Christ is the good news of salvation by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone (Romans 1:1; 1 Corinthians 15:1-4).

1:8-9 Throughout history God has devoted certain objects, individuals, and groups of people to destruction (Joshua 6:17-18, 7:1, 25-26). The New Testament offers many examples of one such group: false teachers (Matthew 24:24; John 8:44; 1 Timothy 1:20; Titus 1:16). Here the Judaizers are identified as members of this infamous company.
1:8 “…we or an angel from Heaven…” Paul’s point is hypothetical, calling on the most unlikely examples for false teaching-himself and holy angels. The Galatians should receive no messenger, regardless of how impeccable his credentials, if his doctrine of salvation differs in the slightest degree from God’s truth revealed through Christ and the apostles. The word translated to accursed is anathema, which refers to devoting someone to destruction in eternal Hell (Romans 9:3; 1 Corinthians 12:3, 16:22).
1:9 “As we have said before” refers to what Paul taught during an earlier visit to these churches, not to a previous comment in this epistle. anyone. Paul turns from the hypothetical case of v. 8 (the apostle or heavenly angels preaching a false gospel) to the real situation faced by the Galatians. The Judaizers were doing just that, and were to be devoted to destruction because of their damning heresy.

1:10-12 Because the false teachers sought to undermine Paul’s spiritual credentials, he set out to defend his apostleship, explaining once again that he was appointed by God and not by men.
1:10 “…trying to please man…?” Paul’s previous motivation when he used to persecute Christians on behalf of his fellow Jews. “…a servant of Christ.” (Romans 1:1) Paul had become a willing slave of Christ, which cost him a great deal of suffering from others (Galatians 6:17). Such personal sacrifice is exactly opposite the goal of pleasing men (Galatians 6:12).