‘No Religion’ on the Rise: 19.6% Have No Religious Affiliation

The number of Americans who do not identify with any religion continues to grow at a rapid pace. One-fifth of the U.S. public – and a third of adults under 30 – are religiously unaffiliated today, the highest percentages ever in Pew Research Center polling.

In the last five years alone, the unaffiliated have increased from just over 15% to just under 20% of all U.S. adults. Their ranks now include more than 13 million self-described atheists and agnostics (nearly 6% of the U.S. public), as well as nearly 33 million people who say they have no particular religious affiliation (14%).[SUP]3[/SUP]

More: ‘No Religion’ on the Rise: 19.6% Have No Religious Affiliation - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

Looks like frost is in the air

Heh heh, they all have a religion. Just because they don’t want to use the word “religion” to describe their values belief system don’t mean doodly squat!

Their belief system (regarding their social values about what is right or wrong) functions exactly like a religion in every way that is important and that really matters.

Their social values belief system (about what is or is not socially moral or immoral) operates exactly like a religion operates and therefore their Social Values Belief System
is their religion.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck, and swims like a duck, then for all practical purposes, it is a duck.

** Ducking The Truth About Ducks. **

Truth-Telling Bob: Look at all those ducks on your pond, Farmer John.

Farmer John the Anti-Duck Man: Those are not ducks.

Truth-Telling Bob: Well, they look like ducks, they are right now quacking like ducks, they are swimming like ducks, and some of them are now on the shore walking around and waddling like ducks.

Farmer John the Anti-Duck Man: None of that matters, they are NOT ducks because I, using my will-power, do not want them to be ducks and I issue a proclamation that they are NOT ducks.

Truth-Telling Bob: If they are not ducks, then what are they? What do you call them?

Farmer John the Anti-Duck Man: They are “No Ducks”, I call them “No Ducks” and sometimes I refer to them as those that are “Unaffiliated With Duck World.”

:cool:

It is clear to me that some people who deny religion have one and it is called “atheism” and they try to destroy other faiths with it.

Only when the circumstances in your life become beyond you can deal with and those you turn to can do nothing do you realize that your only hope is outside your world.

Many find it on the killing fields, many after laying at the bottom of gulch after falling down the side of a mountain while on a easy hike and the stories and circumstances are many. You may not even realize at the time the hand of God is your co-pilot, but sooner or later you might. It took me till I was in my 40’s and reflecting upon my life I knew I had not got there alone.

Few in America have ever seen the pain of life. Things are good even on a bad day as they see the sanitation of news clips.

That said I am not a religious man and it might be that many in America are thinking more and more like me. I do not see some guy in Rome as being any holier than I am, I don’t need to kiss any ring, eat some special food or wear some odd garment. I deal direct, no middleman. I am as strong a believer in God and faith as anyone you will ever find. Maybe that is the trend…

What is really humorous, to me, is the preoccupation with someone, whom they claim, does not exist. After all, I don’t go around trying to convince people that there is no Santa Clause. I don’t try to tell people that there is no Father Time, or Mother Nature, etc. If I am convinced that someone or something does not exist, I do not give a second thought.
Yet, atheists are so driven to disprove God’s existence, that it defines who they are. I have a friend who actually believes Bigfoot exists. He constantly tries to engage me on the subject, but I shut him down. I don’t believe in Bigfoot, though he COULD exist. I never will discuss the topic, until evidence is presented that proves he does. Why? Because I believe he doesn’t. If an atheist REALLY believes there is no God, then he/she should avoid the conversation, altogether. The fact that they cannot, lends me to believe they FEAR He might exist, so they must work tirelessly to convince THEMSELVES, of His non existence.

[quote=“Tiny1, post:6, topic:36503”]
lends me to believe they FEAR He might exist, so they must work tirelessly to convince THEMSELVES, of His non existence.
[/quote]Bingo

[quote=“Tiny1, post:6, topic:36503”]
What is really humorous, to me, is the preoccupation with someone, whom they claim, does not exist. After all, I don’t go around trying to convince people that there is no Santa Clause. I don’t try to tell people that there is no Father Time, or Mother Nature, etc. If I am convinced that someone or something does not exist, I do not give a second thought.
Yet, atheists are so driven to disprove God’s existence, that it defines who they are. I have a friend who actually believes Bigfoot exists. He constantly tries to engage me on the subject, but I shut him down. I don’t believe in Bigfoot, though he COULD exist. I never will discuss the topic, until evidence is presented that proves he does. Why? Because I believe he doesn’t. If an atheist REALLY believes there is no God, then he/she should avoid the conversation, altogether. The fact that they cannot, lends me to believe they FEAR He might exist, so they must work tirelessly to convince THEMSELVES, of His non existence.
[/quote] A theist makes a positive assertion (God) An Atheist denies their assertion (rightly so, what with no basis and all), but that denial is deemed invalid because it is impossible to prove a denial. The rules of logic and science indicate that there must be some kind of basis (either in substance or in thought) for an assertion or else it must be denied(Pink unicorn in my garage, Bigfoot). An assertion, without evidence, is not accepted as true. A person who rejects an assertion doesn’t need to provide any justification for it. The evidence has to be provided by the party making the assertion. The person rejecting the assertion needs to provide nothing at all. Alot of theists try to escape this basic fact of life by declaring (in opposition to common sense) that their assertions need to be justified only to themselves in their personal experience. Simply put, that what is true for others might not be true for themselves. But this is whacked. this also turns its back on productive thinking.

I have a friend whose brother claimed to be an atheist; he would argue with anyone and everyone. I never interacted with him, but from what I heard, I got the impression that he was trying to convince HIMSELF of the non-existence of God. When he got near the end of his life, guess Who he turned to? That same God that he had been proclaiming for years did not exist. I think Cactus Jack must be something like him.

I’m sure that many people who claim no religious affiliation are nevertheless spiritual and think long and hard about spiritual matters. They are just not members of any organized sect or religion.

That’s hardly God’s fault - because organized religions are all institutions of man, not God. Many of us find spiritual fulfillment and sustinence without aligning ourselves with organizations that have agendas - such as proselytizing and various other indicia of narrow-mindedness - with which we are profoundly uncomfortable.

Jack, I once said that I thought the world’s major religions could be reconciled, and you responded that you would fight to your dying day to make sure such reconciliation never comes about. It’s attitudes like that which have soured me on organized religion - even as I freely admit to anyone who inquires that I believe in God and Jesus as the Son of God. I believe that God can hear one’s prayers without the interposition of an organized faith.

“Crack!” …“Zoooom!!” … Tiny, thats a Homerun, that ball is gone … ssssssssssssssssssss , its over the fence and still climbing … they’re gonna need a passport to get that ball back! /grin

PS

(The Reverend Cactus Jack spends, seemingly, much of his mental life thinking and talking about the God that “does not exist.”)

PSS
Heh heh, next thread next month the Reverend Cactus Jack will say about the same thing :freaked: and we will say about the same thing, and the “broken record” will keep on playing.

`

Yeah! Exactly! Those jewels down there were from the article in the link in the Reverend Cactus Jack’s OP.

"However, a new survey by the Pew Research Center’s Forum on Religion & Public Life, conducted jointly with the PBS television program Religion & Ethics NewsWeekly, finds that many of the country’s 46 million unaffiliated adults are religious or spiritual in some way.

Two-thirds of them say they believe in God (68%). More than half say they often feel a deep connection with nature and the earth (58%), while more than a third classify themselves as “spiritual” but not “religious” (37%), and one-in-five (21%) say they pray every day.

In addition, most religiously unaffiliated Americans think that churches and other religious institutions benefit society by strengthening community bonds and aiding the poor."

‘No Religion’ on the Rise: 19.6% Have No Religious Affiliation - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

:grin:

The true Church is not primarily defined as an “organization” even though it does have organization.

It must have organization because the church owns infrastructure and conducts business, pays salaries and light and water bills, etc, and manages large piles of monry that funds hospitals, nursing homes, schools, colleges, universities and world evangelism.

But the true Christian Church is an unseen spiritual kingdom made up only of people that are trusting in the Lord Jesus as their personal Savior and therefore have a clear sense that their sins have been forgiven.

God and His Christ says boldly and specifically that the world’s religions cannot be harmonized.

God and His Christ says boldly and specifically that faith in Christ is the one and only way to Heaven.

God and His Christ boldly and specifically contradicts your position and says, in so many words, that you are totally wrong.

**The Boy Scout Analogy. **
You may continue to believe that a “Boy Scout” can slap old ladies in the face and drag them across the street and still be a Boy Scout, but you believing that, does not make it true. (The Boy Scout analogy means that you may continue to claim to be a Christian while denying the core message of Christianity, namely John 3:16 and the book of Romans etc etc etc, but you believing that you are a Christian while you keep denying the core doctrines of Christianity, does not mean that you actually are a Christian.)

But cheer up, you have lots of company. There are large numbers of people in the world within organized “Christianity” that claim to be Christians that do not believe what God and His Christ said in the New Testament. The Unitarians and the Episcopalians come to mind. To my best knowledge you can be a Unitarian or an Episcopalian and be in good standing with those “churches” while boldly proclaming the entire New Testament to be a load of pure nonsense as long as you give, at least lip service, to the Golden Rule as being a nice ideal.

An analogy: You could convert to Islam, and then announce privately (it might be safer for your longivity if you announced it privately) that you did not believe in the Koran, or in Islam’s prophet, and in any thing else that Islam taught that went against your “We Are The World Religion” … yet you could insist that you had truly converted to Islam.

Another analogy: You can claim to be an American while repudiating the core values of America. How so? Answer: Merely issue a proclamation that says I Jazz am a good American even though I reject as untrue the core values of America.

** Rodney King Writ Large. **
By the way, your “religion” or your “Christianity” is nothing new, its been around for centuries, its nothing more than the old “Fatherhood of God – Brotherhood Of Man” false religion of those who want to get rid of disharmony and conflict in the world through the establishment of a Universal Religion, IE God is the father of all men, and all men are brothers.

Put another way, your “Fatherhood Of God – Brotherhood Of Man” universalism is
nothing more than Rodney-King-Writ-Large-With-Religious-Conotations: "Why can’t we all just get along?

PS
** Let us contrast what the Lord Jesus says with what Jazz says: **

Jazz Said:“Many of us find spiritual fulfillment and sustinence without aligning ourselves with organizations that have agendas - such as proselytizing and various other indicia of narrow-mindedness - with which we are profoundly uncomfortable.”__Jazz

Jesus Said: “I am the way, the truth and the Light, no man comes to the Father except through Me.”

** Jesus Said:** “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. and "This is the will of God, that you believe on Him who God has sent [IE His Son the Lord Christ]

Jesus Said: "If you believe not that I am He, you will die in your sins.
Jesus said:** “For God so love the world that He Gave His only Son that whosoever believes on Him will not Perish but have eternal life.
Jesus Said:** “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.”
Jazz Said:** Many of us find spiritual fulfillment and sustinence without aligning ourselves with organizations that have agendas - such as proselytizing and various other indicia of narrow-mindedness - with which we are profoundly uncomfortable.

The Lord Jesus: Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you."

Jazz Said: Many of us find spiritual fulfillment and sustinence without aligning ourselves with organizations that have agendas - such as proselytizing and various other indicia of narrow-mindedness - with which we are profoundly uncomfortable.

Jack Says: You have no idea how anti-Christian your statement up there sounds to any one who has seriously read the words of the Christ and His apostles in the New Testament. Are you not aware that the entire New Testament is about what you choose to call “proselytizing and various other indicia of narrow-mindedness.”

I can round up dozens of clear New Testament texts that will clearly prove that the Lord Christ boldly contradicts Jazz, but I think your mind is locked down.

I think you will continue to endlessly proclaim as true that which you have made up your mind that you are going to believe regardless of what evidence is presented to you.

Truth-Telling Bob: Duck!

Farmer John the Anti-Duck Man: No, they’re NOT ducks.

Truth-Telling Bob: No! DUCK!

Farmer John the Anti-Duck Man: No, “No Duck!”

SPLAT!!! (from bombing run by duck- er, no-duck)

Farmer John the Anti-Duck Man: Eeeeew!

Truth-Telling Bob: I told you to duck…

None of that in most varieties of Protestantism! :grin:

Check out your Merriam-Webster. One of the definitions of atheism (note the small “a”) therein is consistent with ASSERTION that there is no God.

:howler:

(Another home run …zooooooooom …its outta here…)

I just checked my Oxford:

a•the•ism

noun
disbelief in the existence of God or gods.

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

Atheist’s are more obsessed with God than any other group I have ever been exposed to, saying they are not “religious” is just evidence that Atheist’s don’t own dictionary’s.

I think you will continue to endlessly proclaim as true that which you have made up your mind that you are going to believe regardless of what evidence is presented to you.

Not at all, Jack. I just don’t think all the “evidence” is contained in a 2,000 year old book. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since that time, including a whole lot of human misery caused by folks claiming their vision of God must be believed to the exclusion of all others.

Although I am firmly a Christian, I have great sympathy for the outlook of the Baha’i faith, which posits, quite rationally to my way of thinking, that God has manifested Himself through a variety of messengers through the ages, and that there are common elements of all the world’s great religions. Of course, the Baha’is have been persecuted for such apostasies, by folks who, like you, insist on “my God or no God”. Of course, you are to be praised for advancing your views through persuasion - and I enjoy reading what you write - but too many others throughout history have resorted to coercion. It is the sorry lot of man that more humans have been persecuted in the name of religion than for any other reason. Forgive me for being a skeptic regarding the insistence to proselytize.

Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair color.

Change “hair color” to “hair style” and your statement makes sense.

Although I suspect that atheism isn’t so much a reaction against God as a reaction to all the human misery that the world’s exclusionary religions have spawned. Let’s make things clear - organized religions are institutions of man, not God. I for one refuse to blame the Big Guy for what folks have done in His name.