Nod to God gets track team disqualified

A high school student pointed up, supposedly praising God, when his team won its race. The team was disqualified for excessive celebration.

As he crossed the finish line in triumph, Derrick Hayes pointed up at the sky, not realizing the gesture would cost him the win his team had just earned.

Last weekend, the Columbus High School Mighty Cardinals in Texas competed in the boy’s 4x100-meter relay race. Hayes was part of the winning team, but as Runner’s World reported, his finish line faith got him and his team disqualified.
The race would have given the team a chance to qualify for the state championships, KHOU in Houston reported.

If they were holding and waving rainbow banners, I am sure it would have been a different outcome.

Im pretty sure those are banned in Texas

youre much more likely to see this

Does anyone really think that God cares about sports?

Sounds like it is more about showboating. If you’re making your gesture as you cross the finish line you run the same risk as having a flag thrown if you showboat it into the end zone in a high school football game. The whole point at the sky thing isn’t exactly overtly religious, anyway, although taking that angle after you get penalized would be certain to get you some attention.

Neither article makes it completely clear if this was right after crossing the line or as he was nearing it though, so it’s hard to say.
In either case, the fact that it was such a minor gesture both robs the winning team of a victory as well as making the win completely hollow for the team it was given too. Such little things should get a warning or some such. Playing high school sports in Texas growing up the coaches would get a heads up on things like that before penalties started, and the players who almost cost their team a score got it ran out of them on monday :slight_smile:

Well, I don’t cliam to know the mind of God. I do know that some people have talents far beyond the average person. If someone happens to believe in God, what’s wrong with thanking Him for their talents?

Nothing at all, unless it’s “showboating”. The idea is to exhibit good sportsmanship by not showing up the other competitors.

Good grief. What’s next, apologizing for winning?

I didn’t see the pick of the guy pointing up, but as a sports player, when we won a game, WE pointed our index fingers up in a, "We are number one!"
I guess that’s not allowed, either, these days.

Hey, I quit watching pro ball for some time, so when I went back to it years later and saw the antics in the end zone I was taken aback, wondering what was wrong with people who had so little control over themselves, and their self-ingratiating dyractics they went through, making an utter disgusting public spectacle of themselves..

But IF this was pointing to God in thanks for his talent, it’s the complete opposite of that, and people who have a problem with it are far too thin-skinned and easily offended to make it in this world.

I’m glad I don’t care about most of what people call sports today. Sports to me is hunting and fishing. Shooting too I suppose.

I don’t apologize to the tasty animals I gun down in my lust for death and blood.

You either, eh?
In the immortal words of Bobby (uh oh, A Bear?), “Sports don’t build character, they reveal them.”
(and I’m not even sure if I got the quote right. But you know what I mean.)

Sports has become a playpen for adults. It’s long lost its appeal. The intent is gone.

In the United States of the Offended, any gesture remotely related to God, is taboo. I cannot believe how low we have sunk as a nation.

“Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.” 1 Corinthians 10:31
THAT is what he was doing. Not showboating. I saw the video, and he was almost discreet about it. You can take one knee in the end zone. You can point to the heavens.
But, as was said, if the winner had flashed a Planned Parenthood sign, he’d have become Athlete of the Year.

[quote=“JStang, post:8, topic:39404”]

I don’t apologize to the tasty animals I gun down in my lust for death and blood.
[/quote]This fellow feels the same

Do you know God doesn’t? Where did the drive to compete come from in the players?

Does anyone think that God cares if a person reflects on from where his talents come, and take a moment to acknowledge that?

Better yet, why do people care if some people do?

I think God is always pleased when anyone acknowledges the blessings they receive from Him.

I agree, 2cent. So what if a Christian wants to give credit to God for his performance, or a Muslim to Allah for hers. Being part of a community is letting people express themselves in their own way. It’s no skin off of anyone’s nose.

What doesn’t make sense is the story itself. The reason for no-showboating rules is to promote good sportsmanship. Running across the finish line, or crossing home plate, and pointing skyward isn’t showing up an opponent. I don’t see the affront to sportsmanship. I don’t yet trust the facts of the story - it seems too contrived to fit a greivance agenda.

Pointing to the sky in gratitude to the Lord is show-boating? When did that start? What if he got on his knees in praise of Allah? Probably Crickets. To disqualify a kid from districts, take away his year, his victory, over overt sign of religious conviction is shameful. This kid WAS NOT showboating. Showboating implies bad sportsmanship, which occurs when you try to belittle the opponents that you defeated. For example pointing at them and laughing. Dancing in front of the opposing crowd, or antagonizing them in someway. Saying “Thanks God” in a minor gesture is hardly show boating. This was political hackery using kids as a means to an end and crushing this poor kid’s spirit of competition. Are they not to enjoy victory at all? Are they walk off the line as stoic soldiers? As someone else pointed out, their would be hell to pay if he pulled out a rainbow flag and was disqualified. This is not right.

“Although I am very thankful for all God has given me and blessed me with, on Saturday, April 27, 2013 at the Regional Track Meet in Kingsville, TX, my actions upon winning the 4x100 relay were strictly the thrill of victory,” Hayes wrote in a letter to the University Interscholastic League. "With this being said, I do not feel my religious rights or freedoms were violated."

Oooh…the persecution…!

I stick by what I said this kid’s athletic year was cut short, his chances for scholarship or getting onto a college team threatened, his beliefs ridiculed on national television, and his confidence crushed. And for what? Pointing at the sky. Persecution or not, its still wrong.

God created the thought of sports, so of course he does care.

Quite so. But look again at the OP and some of the responses it generated…