Nucla becomes Colorado's first and only town mandating gun ownership

NUCLA — The Venus Stylin’ beauty salon is one of the few businesses in this town where the heads of hunted animals don’t stare glassy-eyed from the walls. But that doesn’t mean that this is a zone free of the gun-rights fervor that grips Nucla.

“We should all have guns, lots of them,” opined stylist Traciena Johannsen as she painted highlights on the hair of a client who spoke up from beneath the tent of foil on her head to say she has two guns. In fact, she shot a wild turkey with one of them last week.

Guns have put Nucla in the national Second Amendment spotlight since the Nucla Town Board on May 8 passed the first — and only — municipal ordinance in Colorado requiring heads of households to have guns, and ammunition, “in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the town and its inhabitants.”

Nucla becomes Colorado’s first and only town mandating gun ownership - The Denver Post

Absolutely crazy if you ask me, to force people to own and buy guns.

Its just as stupid as banning guns

I think it’s like some town in the south that did the same thing. It isn’t for enforcement; just a symbolic response to gun control garbage.

What’s wrong with it? They’re not actually going to force people to own guns. It’s a message. The only drawback could be the expense incurred in writing and adding the ‘law’ to the books.

But a BB gun to ward off thieves and what not?
Seriously? Is it painted pink?

It’s a disturbing message…the 2nd Amendment says nothing about *requiring *a person to bear arms.

This. When you start forcing someone to exercise their rights, they stop being rights.

If the message is about gun rights, the message is a poor one, since legislation like this does nothing but kill rights, in particular my right to not own a gun if I don’t want to.

And neither will the town’s new law. It’s as if everyone against this idea didn’t bother reading the article; including the poster who took the time to start a thread on it.
You see, I was against it, too. …until I read the article.

Yeah, it says essentially that if you don’t want to own a gun, you don’t have to. They are doing this only to make a statement. Most of those people already had guns - several of them.

Again, it’s the message I don’t like, it implies something beyond than gun rights.

Only felon, mentally ill, poor, and for religious reasons are exempt

They are doing this only to make a statement. Most of those people already had guns - several of them.

What statement would that be? That conservatives are just as capable of making pointless unconstitutional laws as liberals

And other reasons. It did say that. It didn’t detail everything. It essentially said any reason would be accepted.

You might have inferred that but it didnt say it. Of course no one will ever be asked for a reason since I dont think they have any intention of enforcing it which is the whole problem to begin with.

Researching and publishing an ordinance that is really only symbolic cost precious dollars for a town with less than $30,000 in its general fund. Money is so tight the town recently scraped up the crumbling pavement on a subdivision road and turned it back into dirt because there was no money to repave it.

Jeez, could that town be anymore hipsterish in attitude? I didn’t even know those came in Republican.

Everything about their little culture seems deliberately tries-way-to-hard-to-be-clever and attention seeking.

It said specifically religious or other beliefs. They’re sending two messages, I think - one to criminals, the other to the feds.

(Yes, I’d like to say something, but this is a test. It’s 2cent. Some of us can’t log in today. Since last night, actually. Was going to see if “replying as a guest” would work.)

As to Nucla, thank God some people have a sense of humor. Not a soul in that town HAS to own gun.

Yes, Suz, 2 messages; one for the would-be criminals, and one for the government.
Oops, same thing.

Exactly, Suz. Sadly, some people have NO sense of humor. ITST, thankfully, some DO. ~big smile~

Well pardon us. ~smile~

Everything about their little culture seems deliberately tries-way-to-hard-to-be-clever and attention seeking.

Seemed to me that their attitude was to prefer to be left alone.