Obama: Newtown Shooter Used ‘Fully Automatic Weapon’

Obama: Newtown Shooter Used ‘Fully Automatic Weapon’
by Bryan Preston

Here’s what the president told a hard left big money Democrat fundraiser in San Francisco last night.

[quote]Now, over the next couple of months, we’ve got a couple of issues: gun control. (Applause.) I just came from Denver, where the issue of gun violence is something that has haunted families for way too long, and it is possible for us to create common-sense gun safety measures that respect the traditions of gun ownership in this country and hunters and sportsmen, but also make sure that we don’t have another 20 children in a classroom gunned down by a semiautomatic weapon — by a fully automatic weapon in that case, sadly.
[/quote]
I “get” that this is a distinction that some people regard as obscure, but at the least one would think the pols proposing onerous, detailed, regulations would learn this Guns 101 type information, if only to shield their demagoguery from well-earned ridicule.

Another case in point:

Low-Capacity Lawmaking
By Michael Walsh
NationalReview.com/corner
April 4, 2013 1:12 P.M

Via Power Line’s John Hinderaker, this great moment in solonship, Colorado division: Representative Diana DeGette, one of the backers of a national ban on “high-capacity” ammunition magazines, displays abject ignorance in its purest form as she natters on about . . . well, see for yourself. Discussing what another firearms expert once called “high-magazine clips,” and why banning them is bound to work, Ms. DeGette says:

[quote]These are ammunition, they’re bullets, so the people who have those now, they’re going to shoot them, so if you ban them in the future, the number of these high-capacity magazines is going to decrease dramatically over time because the bullets will have been shot and there won’t be any more available.
[/quote]

:Thud:

Speaking specifically about clips rather than magazines, isn’t she correct? I thought a ‘clip’ is a bit of metal that holds a specific amount of rounds to be inserted all at once, and then you throw it out after using them up. Or are clips reusable like magazines?

I think what BO should start with is making sure that illegal guns don’t wind up in the hand of the Attorney General who then gives them to Mexico’s drug runners. DUH!!!

most clips are reusable

They are reusable, Volk. My understanding is that “clip” and “magazine” are synonyms, functionally speaking.

and despite how sensitive some people get, there are plenty of gun people that use the terms interchangeably

Generally true in common use. There are, however, clips that are not magazines. The WWII M1 Garand used an eight-round clip that was inserted into the magazine. It too was reloadable…