Obama waives sanctions on countries that use child soldiers

Obama waives sanctions on countries that use child soldiers
Posted By Josh Rogin
TheCable.ForeignPolicy.com
Monday, October 1, 2012 - 1:48 PM

U.S. President Barack Obama issued a new executive order last week to fight human trafficking, touting his administration’s handling of the issue.

[quote]“When a little boy is kidnapped, turned into a child soldier, forced to kill or be killed – that’s slavery,” Obama said in a speech at the Clinton Global Initiative. “It is barbaric, and it is evil, and it has no place in a civilized world. Now, as a nation, we’ve long rejected such cruelty.”

But for the third year in a row, Obama has waived almost all U.S. sanctions that would punish certain countries that use child soldiers, upsetting many in the human rights community.

Late Friday afternoon, Obama issued a presidential memorandum waiving penalties under the Child Soldiers Protection Act of 2008 for Libya, South Sudan, and Yemen, penalties that Congress put in place to prevent U.S. arms sales to countries determined by the State Department to be the worst abusers of child soldiers in their militaries. The president also partially waived sanctions against the Democratic Republic of the Congo to allow some military training and arms sales to that country.[/quote]
South Sudan is not yet 15 months old as a country, so I’m not sure they have an organized military worthy of the word “organized”. Beyond that quibble, why in Hades is this law being suspended for select countries? for the 3rd year in a row?

As with everything else with this inept potus, there IS NO COHESIVE foreign policy because he has no foreign policy. He has no idea what he is doing, no idea what other nations are doing, and no idea what he is expected to do. He has left policy up to Hillary Clinton, and of course she has no standing on policy issues when he has repeatedly thrown her under the bus and she cannot formulate policy herself. She essentially is 'winging’it. I am not a fan of Hillary but she does not deserve the Obama treatment. As for policy Romney needs to step back. I understand he was to make a foreign policy speech today. BUT with unrest and the garbled politics of the middle east, he cannot undo what Obama has both done and not done. Giving guns to the Syrian rebels is now a fools errand. It goes to the Brotherhood. They are not our friends. The Syrian leadership is not our friend, the whole middleeast is not our friend. Giving arms to the rebels only leads to a backfire of Hezbolla aquiring these very weapons from the rebel Brotherhood much to the detriment of Israel.
What Romney should be looking into is targeting the UN to change tactics. I despise the UN but it is the only international game in town at this point. America has lost all credibility throughout the WORLD, and as such has no negotiating power. And to maintain our freedom America needs to reclaim the reins of Authority or lose permanently.