Obama WH says polar bears not endangered

The Obama administration is sticking with a George W. Bush-era decision to deny polar bears endangered species status.
In a court filing Wednesday, the Fish and Wildlife Service defended the previous administration’s decision to give the polar bear the less-protective “threatened” species designation, a move that will frustrate environmentalists who hoped for stronger protections under the Endangered Species Act. …

Even the “threatened” status applied to polar bears is questionable, and not primarily based on any population data. In fact, the population of polar bears seems to be either stable overall or increasing. Their numbers are not large — around 22,000 overall — which means that their status is certainly worth watching. But the main reason for placing them on the threatened list is to argue about global warming, not polar bears.

Obama WH says polar bears not endangered « Hot Air

“Threatened” status is just as absurd as “Endangered”, but the criteria seem to allow consideration of hypothetical threats, putting the burden of proof on skeptics to disprove the hypothetical threat. A rather challenging task, since the hypothesizers control and have corrupted the data at the center of any dispute.

I always figured that if I stood up right close to a polar bear, it wouldn’t be the polar bear that felt threatened.

If a polar bear was that close to me, I’d hope very much to be able to draw iron and not only make him feel threatened, but extinct…:machinegu

Or her. =)

I read once that polar bears were the only type of bear who would eat you after they killed you. Delightful, no? =D

If you get next to 2, I could use a new rug.

Bearskins make great bed covers in the very cold winters, especially when your bedroom isn’t heated.

You talked me into it. OK FC, make it 3 please

Okey doke. Just herd three of them in front of my rifle. You clean 'em…

Fair enough, but then I get the pick of the steaks. Maybe I’ll bring a condor to toss in as a side dish.

As long as you know that I draw the line at dinosaurs.

Just an endangered species reference

Nah. I just don’t have a big enough gun.