Obamacare May Hike Your Pet’s Health Care Bills

American health care consumers aren’t the only ones who will be hit by slated Obamacare tax hikes. Medical bills for their pets may go up as well.

According to a rule published Friday by the Internal Revenue Service, some medical devices used in veterinary practices will be hit by Obamacare’s 2.3 percent device tax. Many of their manufacturers are expected to hike prices, meaning higher veterinary costs for the nation’s pet owners.

The tax will not hit devices that are used exclusively for veterinary purposes. But a host of such devices are manufactured for use in both human health care and veterinary practices. Those devices’ manufacturers will have to pay the tax.

Obamacare and Taxes: May Hike Your Pet’s Health Care Bills

I would not be surprised. Years ago pet care was a lot less expensive if they came up sick but nowadays the pet hospitals and such charge higher fees sometimes rivaling human care.

Coming from an age that did not have to have the pets vaccinated or chipped the current situation seems not only the hospitals but the government has intruded on things.

The most expensive item on my pets’ health care is the flea/tick repellant/killer. Unless you count getting them “fixed.” But you do that only once per animal.

[quote=“Susanna, post:2, topic:37413”]
The most expensive item on my pets’ health care is the flea/tick repellant/killer. Unless you count getting them “fixed.” But you do that only once per animal.
[/quote]I would hope so. :yes: The thought of it makes me go ouch. There are shots as well which have to be gotten before the Veterinarian will look at the pet and they require chipping here.

There were two cats I wanted to have bathed because they had been relegated to the basement when the grandson of a friend of mine lived here. The groomers told me that in order to get them bathed I would have to ensure their shots were updated. It would have cost me $300 .

How much do shots cost? They can’t possibly be that high here. I took a dog and cat to the vet together, got all their shots (including the 3-year rabies), and it cost me $262. The biggest part of the cost was the Frontline - I got 4 (monthly) applications for each.

[quote=“Susanna, post:4, topic:37413”]
How much do shots cost? They can’t possibly be that high here. I took a dog and cat to the vet together, got all their shots (including the 3-year rabies), and it cost me $262. The biggest part of the cost was the Frontline - I got 4 (monthly) applications for each.
[/quote]Bathing was $30 per cat and the rest was for shots One at had a record while the other did not so they had wanted to give all the shots.

A record!? Sorry, love this pic and couldn’t help myself.

See Julie Lawrence

[quote=“tperkins, post:6, topic:37413”]
A record!? Sorry, love this pic and couldn’t help myself.

See Julie Lawrence

[/quote]:coffee_spray:Both cats are ornery. The one without a record likes to brush up against things and knock them on the floor. Lamps and such. They always say cats are distant but not true of the one who wants affection all the time.

Toonces, the cat that can drive a car…but not very well.