Obamacare . . . PCIP

This involves my pursuit of health insurance (HI) for my wife, Lynn, and some bad bad news about it. (Not her health . . . at least not right now, but I DID have the rug pulled out from underneath me by none other than . . . drum roll . . . you guessed it . . . BHO. Talk about adding insult to injury . . .)

Before I get into the details of my dilemma, let me quickly 'splain my decision to post on it here.

I had decided to quit posting on RO, because I didn’t want to become embroiled in what to me seemed, and still does, like some pretty abrasive exchanges in a lot of threads. Yes, I have the requisite thick skin and am pretty immune to confrontation and certainly expect that behavior on a political board (with overtones of religious contention.) But the abrasiveness and contention here is a little over the top for me. It’s just not my style.

Moreover, I have bigger fish to fry (as you’ll see further on), and need to maintain a positive outlook as a caregiver for an Alzheimer’s riddled person (my wife.) The atmosphere here on RO made it difficult for me to maintain that optimistic approach so necessary to 24/7 caregiving, consequently I decided that since I didn’t need to add hurdles (have enough already), I’d just discontinue participation.

Don’t misunderstand . . . I’m NOT bashing RO. It’s just something that doesn’t enhance my approach right now. However, for all the abrasiveness and lack of civility in some of these threads, there ARE some pretty sharp people here, whose counsel I value.

Hence, after agonizing over making this post, for several weeks now, I’ve decided to make this plea for advice.

Apologies to RET though, because I made my swan song departure without extending him a courteous reply to a well thought out and lengthy reply he made to me ( http://www.republicanoperative.com/forums/f22/question-christians-39962/index36.html#post580815 ), and thought that if I ever come back, the first thing I’d better do is extend that courtesy. I’m not doing that here though, and I’m not particularly proud of breaching my own standard of good manners . . . my mommy taught me better, and would whack me if she were above ground.

Nevertheless, I’m here asking for any advice ANYONE might have.

To grasp this dilemma, I first need to give you some background:

Lynn is two years younger than me . . . she just turned 64, and I am 66. She was born on March 20, 1949, and my birth date was April 3, 1947.

We both were covered by commercial HI under the group plan from my former employer (“Aetna”, at a cost to me of $1000/month . . . a bit outrageous, but one needs HI these days.) However, AND THIS IS CRITICAL TO AN UNDERSTANDING OF THE SITUATION, the former employer’s coverage automatically canceled when I turned 65 and was eligible for Medicare.

(I am retired, and have been since 1999 . . . yes, early retirement, but the deal the former employer offered was sweet.)

The cancellation when I turned 65 was fine for me (I went on Medicare of course), but left me in a lurch for Lynn, since she was not yet eligible for Medicare and lost coverage when mine canceled.

She was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in 2007 (while still covered under my commercial HI at that time.) Consequently, she has a “pre-existing condition” in the eyes of any new insurer.

Not necessarily a problem I thought, since all I wanted to get for her, 'till she was eligible for Medicare, was “catastrophic” (high deductible) HI anyway. I expected the cost would be high (since she would be judged “high risk”), and I was prepared to bear the outrageous “day-to-day” costs of her care (things like Mammograms, Colonoscopies, drugs, etc.), but I at least wanted her covered for the extended costs if she ever had to be hospitalized, got something like breast cancer, stroke, appendicitis, etc.

So I went out “on the street”, looking for something for her. I soon found out that Arizona was one of the states in the union that DOES NOT maintain a high risk pool, and consequently HI companies licensed in the state can DENY coverage for “pre-existing conditions”, and DENY catastrophic coverage on that basis too.

So no matter how much I was willing and able to pay, I couldn’t even get catastrophic coverage for her here in Arizona.

Enter a program called “PCIP” (pronounced “Pee’ - sip”), “Pre-existing Condition Insurance Plan”. PCIP is part of Obamacare. I made a post on it here at RO . . . see: http://www.republicanoperative.com/forums/f10/obamacare-presumptively-unconstitutional-says-court-38784/index3.html#post564879 and the responses to it. RET, Jazz, and johnwk very kindly made some enlightening comments, particularly johnwk’s. To get a handle on the situation, I would definitely recommend reading those posts, and that entire thread (it’s only four pages.)

Now I’m not a fan of Obamacare (or anything originating from BHO, for that matter), but the PCIP program is only one small part of Obamacare, it solved my problem, and I didn’t feel guilty taking advantage of it. Indeed, Romney said in one of the debates that though he would get rid of Obamacare, he would MAINTAIN the pre-existing condition provisions.

Now I DID have a COBRA option and I could have taken that (at a substantial cost increase and only for 18 months). But I didn’t.

In one of the posts in that thread I just cited, I said that COBRA was not an option. That’s true, but perhaps misleading. I was offered COBRA, but at a substantially higher rate than I had been paying (over $2000 versus $1000), PLUS it would have expired and left a 6 month gap on the BACK END before Lynn was covered by Medicare.

At about that same time, I began to learn about PCIP. The rate for PCIP was less than $500/mo, plus eligibility required 6 months of NO coverage on the FRONT END.

I remember corresponding with the PCIP folks and I specifically asked them if accepting COBRA would disqualify her for PCIP coverage (getting that answer was tedious at best). They finally responded that “Yes, accepting COBRA coverage would perpetually disqualify her for coverage under PCIP.”

So, the decision. Take COBRA and suffer a substantially higher premium and a 6 month gap (i.e. NO COVERAGE for her) on the BACK END, and eliminate PCIP as an option forever, or hope for PCIP coverage and have a lower premium, suffer the 6 month gap on the FRONT END, and eliminate COBRA as an option forever.

You might think that the premium difference was the deciding factor, but it wasn’t. It was either suffer the gap on the FRONT END or the BACK END that was the deciding factor. I agonized over the decision, but finally figured that since her health is declining (in addition to Alzheimer’s, she has diabetes and high cholesterol), there’s a greater chance that she’s going to need the coverage on the BACK END, so I turned down COBRA and gambled on PCIP (a bad bet as I found out on . . . get this . . . MY BIRTHDAY.)

So now fast forward to that day.

I had finally gathered the necessary documentation (things like a doctor certified letter confirming the diagnosis and when it was made, a letter from an Arizona licensed carrier denying coverage, and more, all things dependent on third parties and NOT on my time line), and applied at the end of February, 2013. She was well beyond the six months without coverage requirement for PCIP (more like 10 months, since her commercial coverage canceled in April, 2012), and I purposely took the risk of letting SOME of that time go by (never mind the fact that I had little to no control over the timing of the required documentation), because a PCIP guy warned me that applying “too soon” after the six month “no insurance” requirement would result in a perpetual denial of PCIP (I have no idea why that would be, but it doesn’t surprise me knowing that bureaucrats would be rendering a judgment.)

While I didn’t want 10 months to pass (more like 7 was my preferred timing, to MAKE SURE I didn’t give anyone at PCIP cause to deny my app), the extra three months was consumed by the third party documentation. Since I didn’t feel rushed, I didn’t hassle the doc (her neurologist) or Arizona carriers on their support for my documentation (in hindsight I should have felt “rushed”). Plus, every month that went by without paying a premium was something I viewed as an advantage.

Granted, I could have gotten the legwork done on the documentation in the time I allowed to pass, but again, I never felt rushed.

But 10 months was pushing the law of averages, and I thought it was time to get this thing in gear BEFORE Lynn really DID need catastrophic coverage, so I applied for PCIP at the end of February 2013.

On April 3, 2013, I called PCIP, thinking that I could light a fire and get this thing moving. My app had been in well over the “two week” review and approval time that PCIP estimates. I just assumed it was the usual bureaucratic red tape log jam.

OK . . . now for the bad news. I was informed over the phone by a PCIP guy that PCIP was no longer enrolling anyone and had, in fact, stopped reviewing applications on February 16th, 2013. To see the notice, go to https://www.pcip.gov/How_to_Apply.html

A good article on this fiasco is at Daily Kos: Discovered You Have Cancer Today? Sorry! PCIP Closed Enrollment Yesterday.. A detailed reading of that article (don’t worry, it’s short) will answer a lot of questions. (Though that site has a liberal bent, the article IS accurate.)

Scroll down some, and toward the end of the article it speaks to the funding issue, which is CRITICAL to understanding this. Seems as though the BHO administration allocated some 5 Billion to subsidize the PCIP program (the “bridge” to Obamacare, intended to provide coverage for people with pre-existing conditions from August 2010 'till January 2014 when the pre-existing condition provision of Obamacare was enabled and would compel insurers in EVERY state to offer coverage for pre-existing conditions and disable denials).

However, as common sense might predict, people with pre-existing conditions make a heck of a lot more claims than the typical HI population. Consequently, the BHO people made a significant underfunding allocation (common sense NOT being a characteristic trait of BHO people.) When HHS did some financial and claim projections, they discovered that the original allocation was only sufficient to service existing PCIP enrollee claims, and that to do so they would have to discontinue accepting applications for NEW enrollees. Hence the announcement at https://www.pcip.gov/How_to_Apply.html and the rug being pulled out from underneath me!

Estimates to continue the program for new enrollees for the remaining 9 months are around $500 Million. (I’ll come back to this later, because this is an important number.)

Yes, it was my fault for not checking on this periodically, and had I done that I certainly would have put a rush on the effort. I never imagined the rug would have been pulled out from underneath me.

So now, as it turns out I should have taken COBRA . . . but that option is gone now. I argued with the PCIP guy on the phone, and asked things like “Why didn’t you guys tell me when you got my app?”

His answer: “It wouldn’t have made any difference . . . you applied after the February 16th deadline.”

He was right, but that infuriated me all the more.

So now I’m screwed. I don’t have any choice but to just hope Lynn doesn’t have any catastrophic illness 'till January of next year, when Arizona carriers will NOT be able to DENY coverage for pre-existing conditions . . . and then in March of that year she will be eligible for Medicare anyway.

So, at the very least, I have another 9 months or so of puckering.

For example, my sister had breast cancer ten years ago. With her surgery (radical mastectomy), chemo, and radiation treatments, the total cost was north of $750,000 dollars. Fortunately, she DID have HI, and though I don’t know what her out-of-pocket cost was, it was significantly less than $750,000 dollars. I’m by no means wealthy, but I DO have substantial investment income and am able to afford REAL food and don’t have to eat dog food, can afford day-to-day medical costs for Lynn, etc. However, a $750,000 dollar bill would break me, and I’d soon be out on the street.

I guess I could write to my congressman and Senators. Something like, “If Obama took less vacations, spent less on welfare fraudsters, etc., the thing might have been funded for another 9 months . . .”, or go to the “On Your Side” news segments. I might really do both, but right now I’m so furious it’s not a good time to compose anything. I’ve always restrained myself when in the heat of anger, and responded only after I’ve cooled down and a cooler mind prevails . . . but here time is of the essence though. However, it’s been a month now since I got the bad news, and I’m still hot. Looks like I may have to leverage the anger, because it may not diminish.

Three more things, and then I’ll close.

1. I mentioned above the $500 Million dollar number to extend the funding for new PCIP applicants 'till January 2014 . . . another 9 months. That number is significant when you compare it to some fraud and waste numbers. For example, in 2011 the GAO estimated that fraudulent Medicare claims accounted for . . . get this . . . a whopping 48 Billion. Outside expert estimates are north of . . . 60 Billion. Just a fraction of that, if recovered, would fund the continuation of PCIP. Add in things like pork barrel spending and other wasted spending (the NIH funding to study why lesbians are obese comes to mind), and pretty soon it becomes apparent that priorities are wayyyyyy out of whack. This upside down picture just makes my blood boil more.

2. Essential to any letter complaining about anything, IS including WHAT YOU’RE REMEDY WOULD BE. My suggested remedy would be for my congressperson to introduce/promote IMMEDIATE legislation to divert “wasted” funding to PCIP so that applications can once again be accepted. For example, McClame is one of my senators. He decries earmarks (“pork barrel spending”, “special interest giveaways”), and he is also Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on Armed Services. So, I might tailor my message to him to sponsor legislation to divert monies frivolously spent in the DoD toward PCIP.

My strategy is to tailor each message to the congressperson’s “pet peeve”. As another example, my other Senator is Jeff Flake ®. HIS pet peeve is “Agricultural Subsudies”. So in my message to him, I might suggest diverting the wasted monies on subsidizing corn crops for ethanol production to making PCIP viable for more applicants.

Make no mistake though . . . I am under no illusions that letters will bring any results. They’ll either hit the can or some staffer will fire off the customary form that says, “Thank you for your interest . . . blah, blah, blah.” and blow me off. That would be a good bet. But I’m so enraged right now that this is all I can think of. That’s why I’m making this post. I’m hoping that some folks here can suggest something more productive.

1. And finally, there’s my negative feelings about BHO for this situation. In my spectrum of negativity, there’s “disagreement” at the low end (pretty benign really), then there’s “discomfort”, then “contempt”, and at the high end there’s HATE. HATE to me is actually wishing bad things to happen to an individual. Consequently, HATE is not a very Christian sentiment to me, and I very rarely go that far.

As far as BHO, he’s in the plain vanilla “contempt” category . . . I just wish he would go away. But you can be sure that if Lynn suffers a hospitalization catastrophe while not covered, I will be cursing him as I walk down the hospital hallways on my way to being homeless. He will approach the HATE category.

I served in the USMC in the late '60’s, VietNam, etc. My wife and I have worked hard all our lives and paid our taxes. I’ve socked away dough and made “financial planning contingencies” (costs of catastrophic coverage was one of them) for these “Golden Years.” At this stage of the game, I never expected to be facing a real threat of living in a box under a bridge.

So, thoughts . . . recommendations . . . advice?

Bobjam: I’m so sorry to hear about this dilemma. I have no health insurance either, and am currently waiting to hear about my application for medicaid. I’m sure it will be very similar to your experience. I’m sure some of the good folks here will have some suggestions–they always seem to. I will keep your situation in my prayers and hope that the good Lord will find a way for you and Lynn. God bless you!

P.S. I can well understand your levels of sentimentality toward BO…I’m very close to the HATE level myself.

I can sympathize with your situation, last year we had to place my father in a Alzheimer’s/Dementia unit. Alzheimer’s has to be the most cruel disease mankind has ever heard of. My thought’s and prayers are with you and your wife. I wish you the best of luck in your search.

Than you very much for the kind thoughts, CT and tperkins.

I am sorry I have no advice to offer you - just to say that I am sorry to hear all that, and you have my prayers.

Prayers are worth more than gold.

What Mom (Susanna) said. I don’t have insurance myself and don’t expect to. I imagine it’s tougher when it’s for a loved one.

BobJam,

I really have no idea what to tell you except that my thoughts and prayers are with your wife and yourself. I have seen how Alzheimers can take a loved one away from you before your very eyes.

Medical bills and providers are a nightmare to navigate even if you have decent insurance coverage. At least, that has been my experience with my wife’s cancer over the past year. I would hate to have to deal with more limited or not coverage at all. I truly hope that something turns in your favor here.

Thanks very much for the thoughts, CL.

Thanks Susanna and FC, also.

Every hospital and every health organization that doctors are apart of have financial assistance programs. Whether it’s charity or a federal assistance program for people who meet federal poverty guidelines. I’ve been down this road before and I have a ton of experience with it. My mother was uninsurable due to the fact that she was Bi-polar. That’s a no no for insurance companies. My father was self-employed and couldn’t get insurance through his business. Medical expenses out of pocket were over $10,000 a month just for the medications, not including theripy appointments, hospitalizations and etc… The only reason why she’s insured now with great insurance is because of the Ohio High Risk pool. It’s already save us a half a million dollars in just 5 years.

Here’s my advice,

1.) Apply for financial assistance for every one of you medical bills. That means contact all of you doctors to see if they offer it. Call all of the hospitals, because I know they have it. Should you get accepted they will also pay for all of you future medical services for the next 3 month or sometimes 180 days. Usually when you get accepted they pay a percentage depending on where your income fits on their bracket. My father made $30,000 one years and they covered 100% and wiped out his medical bills. I’m sure if you made up to $50,000 - $60,000 you’d get anywhere from 10%-80% written off. So apply no matter how much you make.

2.) If your income is low enough apply her for medicaid.

3.) Depending on how much money you are spending on medical expenses and depending on your need for insurance as hard as it is to hear this you need to move to a state that has an open high risk pool. One that is accepting applications still. Some aren’t. High risk pool insurance in Ohio is better than most private insurances. I was in shock when I saw the benefits. It’s worth it.

My fathers income is low enough that every year I apply my mother for financial assistance which always pays 100%, and I keep her high risk pool insurance (Medical Mutual) which pays a ton on it’s own, in case she needs a surgery or transplant, because you need insurance for those services to be performed. We don’t pay anything for medical services, except the premium, and copays.

@brewerfanx1,

First, thanks very much for the suggestions.

Now don’t take this the wrong way . . . I’m not trying to set up road blocks . . . but I have a few questions about some of your suggestions.

1. My wife’s existing medical bills are, and have been, paid in full out of my pocket. While I might be able to demonstrate that these bills are a drain on my resources, I can hardly demonstrate that the bills have caused me to default on any non-discretionary spending, i.e. essential food, shelter, and necessary utilities.

Yes, I have been forced to economize (like eliminating cable TV, NOT buying steak and such, NO long distance calls, NOT buying the latest and greatest electronics . . . like an HDTV . . . absolutely NO luxuries, making do with old and flee-bitten furniture . . . for example, you would not want to sit on my couch for fear of contracting “cooties” . . . keeping a 1994 auto running . . . IOW, spending ONLY on necessary food items, shelter, and essential utilities.) But adjusting to a Spartan lifestyle does not seem to me to be cause for a BUSINESS (which is what a hospital and doctors are) to grant financial assistance.

I mean it’s not as if I’m going without three squares, a tight roof, water and power.

And it’s NOT the day-to-day financial requirements I’m worried about. While her uninsured medical expenses (primarily the drugs . . . Alzheimer meds ARE expensive) have caused me to scale back significantly, I can hardly demonstrate that they have caused me to do without essential items. Again, I maintain a tight roof and three squares, but NO frills, PERIOD. Food may be like cardboard (I’ve become skilled in making Ramen noodles . . . 28 cents a package . . . a culinary miracle), the car makes strange noises all the time . . . driving is always a white knuckle experience . . . and even a carton of eggs is a luxury I indulge in about every two months, none of this seems to me to justify financial assistance. And fraudulent claims are not something I want to do (Not saying that’s what you’re suggesting, but it seems I would have to portray my situation falsely.)

What I AM worried about, and what WILL cause me to loose that cardboard three squares and tight roof, is if my wife suffers some catastrophic illness, up until January of 2014, that requires either an extended hospital stay or any surgery.

So, your suggestion to “call all of the hospitals” intrigues me.

Just exactly who would I contact, and how would I start the conversation? Since she is not currently hospitalized, would it not be a hypothetical anyway? I’m guessing they would respond something like, “Let’s wait and see if any circumstance requires hospitalization and then we can talk about financial assistance requirements. But we can’t give you some kind of blanket financial assistance covering a future hospitalization that may or may not materialize.”

And this is of course assuming the local hospitals here (I live in a rural area) EVEN have this kind of program.

Though, I would agree that it makes sense to at least see if they do. So it DOES make some sense to make a call just to ask, “Do you have a financial assistance program, what are the requirements, and under what circumstances can it be applied?”

The answer I would be afraid of would be, “Yes, we do have financing options.” IOW, I would have to mortgage everything I own to make payments on some HUGE bill.

It doesn’t hurt to ask, though . . . so thanks there.

1. Medicaid is not an option, unless I sell everything I own (I own my house and have already gotten a Reverse Mortgage for these expenses), including stocks and bonds, and empty my checking/savings (which is emptying faster than I anticipated anyway). You have to be pretty much penniless and close to homeless to be eligible for Medicaid, though I may end up that way if she has to be hospitalized.

2. Moving is not an option, for reasons that are off-topic. Plus, moving right now anyway would be “betting” on a catastrophic event PRIOR to January 2014. Even if that were an option, picking up stakes is not something people with infirmities we have can do (in addition to her having Alzheimer’s, I am severely physically handicapped . . . but I don’t want to make this a “woe is me” thread . . . as I said, details of moving are off-topic).

Perhaps, when we were younger and healthier, moving wouldn’t be such a hurdle, but at this stage of the game, it would be a significant hurdle.

Anyway, thanks again. You have certainly given me something to think about that’s perhaps more substantive than just fruitless letter writing.

BTW, the next thing to go is this Internet connection . . . the ISP.

I recently discontinued my long distance dialling plan, so my only connection with my kids (in New Jersey) is now email.

Guess I will tell them that if it’s an emergency . . . YOU call ME.

Your poor old Dad is trying to sock away some dough in case Mom has to go in the hospital before January 2014.

This may seem like a stupid question, but with these kinds of programs in place, why do/did we need Oblamercare???

How sad your situation is! How many others in this country are in similar situations? And, I can relate well to your statement about having to move. Just moving 450 miles from SC with the few things I have was…well, sort of traumatic. I HAD to get out of the situation I was in–it wasn’t healthy physically or mentally (and certainly not spiritually). Even having help from my two sisters didn’t minimize the psychological and even physical strain I experienced. I am relieved that it is most likely that I will not move again–but that is what I thought each time I’ve moved over the past 3 years.

[quote=“ClassicalTeacher, post:15, topic:39376”]
How many others in this country are in similar situations?
[/quote]Yes, I certainly am not the lone ranger here. Indeed, I’m sure there are plenty in similar circumstances that are a LOT worse off than I am.

Right now I’m just in the “what if?” stage, worrying heavily on what I’m going to do if she needs hospitalization. Every pain and ache she has fills me with dread . . . “Is this the ‘big’ one?” So far, they have all been false alarms . . . but I’m going to have to endure those “false alarms” 'till January of 2014. When, and if, the “real” thing comes, I’m going to be a basket case driving her to the hospital.

I’m hoping to come up with a plan before then, but right now all I have is the company of the daily and nightly terror. And, as you know, I am so handicapped, that I depend on her just to get around and perform simple personal hygiene, like brushing teeth, shaving and bathing.

So that’s another concern I have with this dilemma. I’m going to have to hire a live-in nurse if she’s not here to help me . . . and if that happens, I WILL be eating dog food. (As I think I’ve told you, she is, compared to me, physically able. Her mind is gone, but she is able to walk and assist me. My mind is alert, so I take care of the day-to-day matters, like finances, grocery shopping . . . albeit in a motorized cart . . . appointments, etc. But I’m a physical wreck. So, between the two of us, there’s actually ONE whole healthy person.)

My primary concern of course is her health, but I also have this disability dilemma to worry about.

In any case, it may happen (I’m hoping of course) that we will be able to go to January of 2014 with NO catastrophic event. But I’m sure there are those right now that are in the middle of a catastrophic hospitalization WITHOUT coverage, one that I’m only speculating on right now, and those folks are indeed worse off than I am right now. There’s always somebody worse off.

And, I can relate well to your statement about having to move. Just moving 450 miles from SC with the few things I have was…well, sort of traumatic. I HAD to get out of the situation I was in–it wasn’t healthy physically or mentally (and certainly not spiritually). Even having help from my two sisters didn’t minimize the psychological and even physical strain I experienced.
[/quote]Yes, IIRC you told me you had suffered a severe upper respiratory infection, or something like that, right after your move, despite having had a flu shot for the season. It is well known that high stress reduces the efficiency of your immune system, so I suspect the stress of that move was the cause, or at least contributed to, your illness. Us old folks are pretty fragile, and while moving in my youth was a breeze, it is something that would cause me more problems now . . . additional problems I don’t need right now.

I am relieved that it is most likely that I will not move again . . .
[/quote]Yes, the last time we moved was in 1999, and I’ll be six feet under RIGHT HERE. No more moves.

I still have nightmares of the garage sales, scheduling Bekins movers, packing, 6 months of temporary lodging while our house was being built, change of address hassles TWICE (we maintained a temporary post office box while our house was being built), arranging for storage of household goods and delivery later, and much much more . . . I lived on “checklists” for six months.

I was in my fifty’s then, physically able, and it was still, as you say, “traumatic”. Not sure I could even do it now.

BobJam: I do sympathize with your situation. It is hard taking care of a loved one. At least when I took care of my grandparents, aunt and mother, I was much younger and in excellent physical (and mental) health. I don’t know what I would do if I had to face that same situation now. It’s hard enough to care of myself and my cat these days! I know this is a terrible thought, but what would happen to Lynn if you were to pass away before 2014? Would your children take her?

Because the tax payers fit the bill. I know the health systems flaws to the “T.” Obamacare isn’t needed at all. All that we need is for every state to adopt a high risk pool and get some state incentives and federal funding from the Federal Government, which would cost 3/4th less than obamacare and eliminate all regulations and intrusions from the Federal government, and all of the 50 million uninsured can get on the high risk pools private insurance plan for cheap.

Obamacare isn’t needed.

Well, that is exactly my point. Thanks for clarifying!

Bobjam,

It doesn’t matter what type of furnature you have or how many gold earrings you have. I’m going to make this simple for you to understand. There are people making 50-60,000 a year who have the top TV cable package, and who have vehicles who apply for financial assistance and get approved. Here are things they say to list as expenses and assets,

Expenses:

Car loans- if you make payments or amount of loan remaining
Home mortgage - payment and how much remaining.
Utility costs - phone,TV, electric, gas, water, trash etc.
Insurance costs, Life and Health
Food
gas
credit cards and other credit debt
Business expenses

Income/assets:

Tax return copy
Usually last 3 month income (Pay stubs) prior to date of service
Checking account balance
Savings account balance
I’m not sure if you have to report investments or Home equity I actually don’t believe they require this.

Now on the back of every bills statement there is an application for this financial assistance, However , something that most people don’t know is that the hospital has many other types of financial assistance programs depending on your income that they don’t list on the bill, so you will have to call and inquire. You need to totally call and inquire and they will be more than happy to assist you in the application processes over the phone. Rule of thumb is don’t tell them information that they don’t ask you and tell you that they need. Only answer their questions and leave it at that. Tell them that you want to apply. I don’t have any clue about you assets or income, but i know enough about this stuff to tell you to go ahead and apply.

Now you say you have already paid money? I don’t believe you can get refunded should you get accepted, however they will I believe take the original total of bill (before payments) and let’s say you have paid 20% already and you get accepted for 80% off, then you will owe nothing. I think that’s how it works.

You say that you pay a ton in prescriptions? I can help you. There are many online discount prescription cards that give you a discount on those meds. They can be used in conjunction with insurance or in place of insurance if you have none. Just fill out the information by putting in your name and address and date of birth and that’s all that is required. print the whole page off and hand it to you pharmacy. They will take it. You can find them by doing a google search. Type in free RX discount card and about 10 of them will pop up. Click on each one and they have a durg pricing search that will allow you to look up your drug and the dosage and the amount of the price at a pharmacy near you and how much after the discount card is used. Sometimes you can save up to 75% off the retail price. Depends on the drug. Ask the pharmacy if you can rerun past prescriptions through it and who know you might be able to get a refund. Totally worth asking.

If you have any questions totally feel free to ask me. I’m here for you and I care.