Of Course Iran Is Chairing the UN Disarmament Conference

Of Course Iran Is Chairing the UN Disarmament Conference
by Claudia Rosett

5/18/13

In the parade of United Nations absurdities, here comes Iran’s four-week presidency of the UN Conference on Disarmament — an arrangement that the U.S. Mission to the UN has described as “unfortunate and inappropriate,” and Hillel Neuer of UN Watch has more accurately compared to “putting Jack the Ripper in charge of a women’s shelter.”

But should anyone be surprised? This is how the UN works. Being a despotic state that sponsors terrorism while pursuing nuclear weapons — while under multiple UN sanctions — is no bar to holding fancy posts at the UN. Clearly, Iran’s regime has become expert at availing itself of this setup. Currently, and through 2015, Iran heads the second-largest voting bloc in the UN General Assembly (the Non-Aligned Movement, which includes 119 states plus the Palestinian Authority). Iran also sits on the UN Commission on the Status of Women (of course), as well as the executive boards and governing councils of such major agencies as UNICEF, the UN Development Program, and the UN Environment Program. For a fuller list, here’s a link to my article last month, “At the U.N., Iran is a Powerhouse, Not a Pariah.”

Welcome to UN Cloud CuckooLand!

Apparently the presidency rotates by alphabetical order. That is the only fair way to do it.

The criteria the author thinks should disqualify Iran are nuclear weapons program, sponsoring terrorism, and being sanctioned, so she should be just as outraged if the US or Britain (the ‘sanction’ criterion doesn’t apply because veto power) were to get the presidency.

I’ve been on the “Get the U.S. out of the UN” bandwagon since around late 2007, early 2008. This gives me another reason to stay on it.

I’ve been on it longer than that - probably longer than you’ve been alive.

The UN treats all member nations as moral equals. That leads to insanity like Iran, Ghadaffi-Duck’s Libya, etc. being on human rights commissions, commissions on women’s rights, disarmament commissions and the like. That Iran is the president of the UN Conference on Disarmament is just one illustration of scores of the insane obtusity of the UN’s rules.

Long ago, when I was 7YO or 8YO and “Trick-or-Treating for UNICEF”, a man I met at his door informed me that UNICEF and the UN were “Communist plots”. I thought he was insane. And maybe he was, lashing out at young children that way. It was 10 or 15 years later that I learned that he had at least some point - UNICEF was headed up by reps of Soviet Bloc countries, and much UNICEF aid got funneled to those countries. So my opinion of the UN - not that it matters much - went negative in the mid 70s and has been getting steadily worse since.