Ok guys, how about some great Memorial Day recipes???

Since I will be celebrating Memorial Day with my new neighbors (we’re having a cook-out in the patio/garden) I thought some of your great recipes would be helpful! Anyone have a super recipe for potato salad? Barbeque chicken? Macaroni salad? Desserts?? Here’s my mom’s awesome recipe for potato salad:

10-12 medium potatoes peeled, cut into 1 inch pieces, and boiled until almost tender
1 medium onion–preferably a sweet onion chopped
1 small green pepper chopped
2 stalks celery chopped finely
1/4 pound bacon cooked until crisp, drained and cooled, and then crumbled
1-1/2 cup Miracle Whip (add more if you like a creamier salad, or less if you like a drier salad)
2 tbsp yellow mustard
4 tbsp parsley
4 hard boiled eggs chopped
salt & pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl and let sit in the refrigerator overnight. Awesome!

She also used to make an Italian potato salad which was very different. I actually liked it better than the above recipe.

Here is what I am making:

2 whole slabs pork baby back ribs

RUB
8 tablespoons light brown sugar, tightly packed
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon jalapeno seasoning
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon rubbed thyme
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

LIQUIDfor braising.
1 cup white wine
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 cloves garlic, chopped

Preheat oven to 225 degrees.

In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix well. Place each slab of baby back ribs on a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil, shiny side down. Sprinkle each side generously with the dry rub. Pat the dry rub into the meat. Refrigerate the ribs for a** minimum of 1 hour**. In a microwavable container, combine all ingredients for the braising liquid. Microwave on high for 1 minute.

Place the ribs on a baking sheet. Open one end of the foil on each slab and pour half of the braising liquid into each foil packet. Tilt the baking sheet in order to equally distribute the braising liquid. Braise the ribs in the oven for 2 1/2 hours.

Transfer the braising liquid into a medium saucepot. Bring the liquid to a simmer and reduce by half or until of a thick syrup consistency. Brush the glaze onto the ribs. Place under the broiler just until the glaze caramelizes lightly. Slice each slab into 2 rib bone portions. Place the remaining hot glaze into a bowl and toss the rib portions in the glaze.

This cooking method solves an age old problem. Adhesion. I hate ribs when the sauce falls off . By slow cooking, the fat from the ribs never boils. this creates a “glue” of sorts, and the sauce made from this method, has to be chewed off your fingers. Yum!

OMGosh! That sounds delicious!!! I love barbeque ribs–and especially baby back ribs! I don’t think I can afford the baby back ribs, but I would love to try it with chicken! I don’t know where to get the jalapeno spice, though. What are you making with the ribs?? Any cole slaw to die for??

Here is my favorite slaw recipe. I do not generally give this out, but my friends always get my best.

**dressing
**1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon celery seed (not celery salt)
1/4 teaspoon table salt

** slaw**
                                                        1/2 a medium sized cabbage, cored

2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
1 large carrot, peeled
1/2 bell pepper, (I use red or yellow. Sweeter)
1/2 small onion
(sometimes I add a fennel bulb)

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.

2. Shred the rest of the ingredients with a food processor using the grating attachment, or use a box grater. When you’re done, you want it to be like a fine confetti. Dump the solid into the wet and mix thoroughly. Adjust the seasonings to your taste. Chill for at least an hour. Overnight is better.

Enjoy.
Oh, CT, if you cannot afford baby backs, try those boneless or bone in “ribs” every store has on sale. Simply sear them on high heat, in some canola oil, use the oil to make the sauce, put it all in a crock pot, turn it on and oh my, it is delicious a few hours later. I call it Hobo BBQ.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/5507/jap2y.jpg

24 jalapenos
4 12oz packages of bacon
2 8oz packages cream cheese
sriracha hot sauce
48 toothpicks

1. Cut the jalapenos in half and shell them out with a spoon
  2. Heat the cream cheese on low in the microwave till creamy then add the hot sauce to the cream cheese
  3. Fill each jalapeno half up with the mix and set in the fridge to cool for 30 minutes
  4. Wrap a slice of bacon around the filled jalapeno half and stick a toothpick in it
  5. Cook on the grill until bacon is done.

Pretty simple recipe but everyone seems to love it

[quote=“UNTRugby, post:5, topic:39578”]

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/5507/jap2y.jpg

24 jalapenos
4 12oz packages of bacon
2 8oz packages cream cheese
sriracha hot sauce
48 toothpicks

1. Cut the jalapenos in half and shell them out with a spoon
  2. Heat the cream cheese on low in the microwave till creamy then add the hot sauce to the cream cheese
  3. Fill each jalapeno half up with the mix and set in the fridge to cool for 30 minutes
  4. Wrap a slice of bacon around the filled jalapeno half and stick a toothpick in it
  5. Cook on the grill until bacon is done.

Pretty simple recipe but everyone seems to love it
[/quote]Because they are awesome. I make similar poppers, but I add crab meat to the cream cheese. Yours looks delicious, by the way.

Hey CT, you ever do Beer Can Chicken?

1 (4-pound) whole chicken
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
spice rub(I use chili powder(mostly), red pepper, garlic powder, dried rosemary needles)
1 can beer

Remove neck and giblets from chicken and discard. Rinse chicken inside and out, and pat dry with paper towels. Rub chicken lightly with oil then rub inside and out with salt, pepper and dry rub. Set aside.

Open beer can and take several gulps (make them big gulps so that the can is half full. At least I tell my wife that is why I do that ). Place beer can on a solid surface. Grabbing a chicken leg in each hand, plunk the bird cavity over the beer can. Transfer the bird-on-a-can to your grill and place in the center of the grate, balancing the bird on its 2 legs and the can like a tripod.

Cook the chicken over medium-high, indirect heat (i.e. no coals or burners on directly under the bird), with the grill cover on, for approximately 1 1/4 hours or until the internal temperature registers 165 degrees F in the breast area and 180 degrees F in the thigh, or until the thigh juice runs clear when stabbed with a sharp knife. Remove from grill and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.

You can make it in the oven, too.

UNT: Those look delicious even raw!!! I’m gonna try them for sure!

Tiny: So, you cook the chicken with a half-empty can of beer stuck inside? What happens with the beer in the can? It sounds delicious! My mom used to baste her ham with beer all the time–and I think she also basted turkeys with beer as well. And, I certainly can afford those ribs you mentioned, Tiny. Sometimes, my mom used to grill “country” style pork ribs–they had bones, but lots of meat on them. They were always good, too. AND, I’m DEFINITELY going to make your cole slaw because that’s what I signed up for on Monday! Thanks!! I have a feeling it’s going to be gone real fast! Mmmmmm!!!

I knew I’d get good stuff from you guys!

Ok, I made Tiny’s cole slaw and it’s been in the refrigerator for about an hour. I have been mixing it every 1/2 hour or so. I took some of it out and put sweetened crushed pineapple (without the juice) in it. I’ll let you know how it goes tomorrow!

I took a little taste, and I have to say that the pineapple does make it extra yummy!

`
I’m in hog heaven!! This here is my kind of thread! I’m coming back here with my printer at-the-ready!

All … [SIZE=4]ALL … that stuff up there is mouth-watering.

Thanks for sharing the secrets!
[/SIZE]

Here is my humble contribution:

All-Beef Hotdogs Rolled In Pillsbury Original Cresent Rolls.

Pillsbury Original Cresent Rolls
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5zpnbUpZ51qf5g0no1_500.jpg

Rolls come out of can in a sheet of dough, perferated into 8 rolls.
Take each roll and cut in half, giving you 16 pieces of dough.
Take regular All-Beef Hotdogs (your favorite brand) and cut into thirds.
Roll up each third of a hot dog into a seperate roll of dough.
Yield is 16 wraps of dough/hotdogs

Bake in oven 12 to 15 minutes or until brown at about 350 degrees

This next step is essential:
While you are eating them, dip them into Gulden’s Spicy Brown Mustard

Trust me, they are very very good.

'Course, you can substitute your favorite dip, but that Gulden’s Spicy Brown Mustard has a unique flavor that
is “outta sight.”

`