Over half of Americans are overweight or obese in all fifty states.

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Nearly seven in 10 adults in West Virginia, Mississippi, and Kentucky are either overweight or obese – more than in any other state in the first half of 2012. At the other end of the scale is Colorado, the least overweight state in the union, but even there, 55.1% of residents are overweight or obese.

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/yycmsfkomecxb70zogp-pq.gif

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/t4ssguoisuwcsr__glmi1w.gif

These findings are from surveys conducted with 177,663 U.S. adults from January through June 2012 for the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, marking a halftime report ahead of full-year 2012 data to be reported early next year. Gallup calculates respondents’ Body Mass Index using the standard formula based on their self-reported height and weight.

Gallup — In U.S., Majority Overweight or Obese in All 50 States

Do you think obesity will be a major health concern for the future of the country? Do you think it needs to be solved through government intervention, or through education, or should the problem just be allowed to continue and people should learn their own lessons about health? If a pill or treatment for obesity were to be developed, would it be beneficial to the population or detrimental?

I think it needs to be solved by letting people drop dead from their bad habits.

Exactly, when the assumption of Americans was not that government would take of them from cradle to grave the accountability factor made issues like this non factors.

Now every example of poor character is given a fake name, rendering it a “syndrome” or a “condition” that conveniently absolves whoever does it of all responsibility.

Being an overweight person myself, the last thing that we need is more government Intervention. The carb heavy food pyramid that they foisted upon us bears some responsibility for the increased weight of America. For many years, people thought they were eating to right stuff while gaining weight. Of course, our more sedentary lifestyles makes this a perfect storm.

But what do I know? I’m just a lazy fat-{posterior} that works 50-60 hour weeks, 6 days a week that deserves to drop dead from my bad habits.

[quote=“qixlqatl, post:2, topic:36829”]
I think it needs to be solved by letting people drop dead from their bad habits.
[/quote] Shoot man, If crawfish and beer kill me, I figure that’s a life worth dying for.

Of course, Kentucky has to be #3, but as usual, we did better than West Virginia and Mississippi.

[quote=“Conservative_Libertarian, post:4, topic:36829”]
Being an overweight person myself, the last thing that we need is more government Intervention. The carb heavy food pyramid that they foisted upon us bears some responsibility for the increased weight of America. For many years, people thought they were eating to right stuff while gaining weight. Of course, our more sedentary lifestyles makes this a perfect storm.

But what do I know? I’m just a lazy fat-{posterior} that works 50-60 hour weeks, 6 days a week that deserves to drop dead from my bad habits.
[/quote]I remember years ago reading some where that the food pyramid was actually upside down from where it needed to be and the reason we got what we see is because someone in government decided to say what the food pyramid was because of politics.

I doubt this. The basic food pyramid I remember is Grains > Fruits and Veggies > Protein and Dairy > Sugar. The grain seems like the only part you could potentially argue.

What is the point of your dissertation? What constitutes "overweight? by who’s standards? These “reports” come out every so often as a way for the government to be able to say THEY need to be protecting the people from themselves. They are trying NOW to control the average persons diet.

I am so glad you see it. A lot of blame on an overweight America is on the food pyramid so carb heavy you can only put weight on. Granted there are contributing factors but weight gain has its origins in the FEDS!

I remember the pyramid well and Donna, the girls I was dating that had a Masters degree in Nutrition. How she beat me up constantly over my protein rich diet in spite of my 182-185 lbs @ 6’ 2". So I gave in and I watched the weight pile on till I ballooned up to 215. I am also a runner at 150++ miles per month, bicycle rider doing 25 -50 mi per weekend on a mountain bike.

I am around 210-215 now, but I am 25 years older…

Can we think of ANYTHING the govt gets involved in that is better for it???

Based on the BMI index. It says so in the link.

The World Health Organization defines a normal BMI range as being 18.50 to 24.99. It labels BMIs of 25.00 to less than 30.00 as overweight/pre-obese, and those with BMIs of 30.00 or higher are considered obese.

BMI = [mass (kg)] / [height (m)[SUP]2[/SUP]]
It’s not a perfect system for health, but it is a good rule of thumb for a healthy weight.

And Gallup conducted this survey, not the government. This standard for BMI has been around since 1988, so let’s not jump to conspiracy just yet. Maybe we are just all fat.

Sigh Deserving has nothing to do with it, CL. But it isn’t the government’s place to a) force anyone to live a healthier lifestyle, or b) pay to fix the problems brought on by unhealthy lifestyles. I’m not wishing negative outcomes on anyone.

I like that expression: makes a lot of sense to me. More power to ya! I’m with you on the beer, at least, and you’re welcome to my share of the crawdads.:sick:

Is this a SERIOUS statement or a joke or am I misreading???

Why would you even think that might be a joke?

OK help me out and please correct me if I am wrong:

Are you implying the govt role IS or IS NOT it seems you could possibly read it either way and I have never seen anything you have posted that would lead me to believe you think the govt has a role in making you live a better life style…[LEFT][/LEFT]

Pretty sure he said quite plainly that is isn’t…

Gonna quote my own post, Oaks, because I don’t see how I left any room for doubt about what I meant.

It is NOT the government’s place to have any say whatsoever in how we peacefully live our lives. If you want to live on a diet of nothing but deep-fried fat smothered in hollandaise sauce washed down with bacon grease, it’s your right… and your funeral. And no one else is responsible for paying for the multiple quadruple bypass surgeries such a lifestyle could lead to, nor, for that matter, for the funeral that’s at least as likely an outcome. The government should butt out. Period.

Me to, according to the Government I don’t sleep enough, I drink way too much coffee, I am the equivalent of evil because I smoke and I am a destroyer of the earth because I run diesel engines every day.

I accept the consequences of my ways just like you, I think these “studies” are just part of building justification to tax certain foods.

Lately I’ve had the impression that the gov’t exists soley for the purpose of collecting money in order to provide new jobs for people who aren’t as intelligent, dependable, driven, or honorable as I am. Basically, it’s a democrat cesspool interested only in expanding beyond it’s banks.