Palestine:

The United Nations voted overwhelmingly Thursday to recognize a Palestinian state, a long-sought victory for the Palestinians but an embarrassing diplomatic defeat for the United States.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/11/29/un-general-assembly-votes-overwhelmingly-to-recognize-state-palestine-us-israel/#ixzz2DxOzO0jE

Talk about Palestine here.

I’ve been hearing that Egypt may consider absorbing Gaza. Which would be a very, very good thing. About 2/3 of the problems with Palestine is from Gaza and the Egyptian military will not put up with this rocket crap.

While I support Palestinian statehood, this bid for UN recognition was the wrong way to go. Had it failed, it just would have inflamed anger in the region and probably led to more violence. As it is, it throws a monkey wrench into the peace process by artificially raising the hopes of the Palestinians (the UN can’t actually enforce most of its decrees), and might lead to the Palestinians demanding too much from the Israelis when they have nothing to back up those demands.

Probably for the best, as like you say, it will put an overseeing hand over the most lawless region of Palestine. There is no viable way for the West Bank and Gaza to be united without splitting Israel, which Israel wouldn’t and shouldn’t ascent to.

[QUOTE=CWolf (copied from quote)]I’ve been hearing that Egypt may consider absorbing Gaza. Which would be a very, very good thing. About 2/3 of the problems with Palestine is from Gaza and the Egyptian military will not put up with this rocket crap.[/QUOTE]
Unless/until the Muslim Brotherhood government replaces those in the military who are opposed to their goals. Then they’ll just truck the rockets right on in across the border…

About 2/3 of the problems with Palestine is from Gaza and the Egyptian military will not put up with this rocket crap.

Sadly, I think FC is correct. It is looking like the Egyptian military has made their deal-with-the-devil (deal between competing devils?) with the Muslim Brotherhood types. I had not heard that Egypt would try to renege on their giving Gaza to the Arab Palis, but if they do I think it is much more likely that the outcome will be easier importation and firing of rockets into Israel, rather than a reduction thereof.

That said, if Egypt does renege, it might be even more likely that this will bring the Arab Palis into conflict with the Egyptians.