Palm Sunday

This Sunday is Palm Sunday.

**Matthew 21:1-11 **
21 Now when they drew near to Jerusalem and came to Bethphage, to the Mount of Olives, then Jesus sent two disciples, [SUP]2 [/SUP]saying to them, “Go into the village in front of you, and immediately you will find a donkey tied, and a colt with her. Untie them and bring them to me. [SUP]3 [/SUP]If anyone says anything to you, you shall say, ‘The Lord needs them,’ and he will send them at once.” [SUP]4 [/SUP]This took place to fulfill what was spoken by the prophet, saying,
[SUP]5 [/SUP]“Say to the daughter of Zion,
‘Behold, your king is coming to you,
humble, and mounted on a donkey,
on a colt,[SUP][a][/SUP] the foal of a beast of burden.’”

[SUP]6 [/SUP]The disciples went and did as Jesus had directed them. [SUP]7 [/SUP]They brought the donkey and the colt and put on them their cloaks, and he sat on them. [SUP]8 [/SUP]Most of the crowd spread their cloaks on the road, and others cut branches from the trees and spread them on the road. [SUP]9 [/SUP]And the crowds that went before him and that followed him were shouting, “Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest!” [SUP]10 [/SUP]And when he entered Jerusalem, the whole city was stirred up, saying, “Who is this?” [SUP]11 [/SUP]And the crowds said, “This is the prophet Jesus, from Nazareth of Galilee.”

What is Palm Sunday?

Back in the days when I was a choirboy at an Episcopal cathedral in Indianapolis, on Palm Sunday, we wore a cross made of palm leaves on our cassocks/cottas. We returned them after the service and they were stored away until the next Ash Wednesday when they were burned and the ashes used to make the sign of the cross on people’s foreheads during that service. Tradition held that we were to leave the marks on our foreheads until sundown of that day. It’s one of the traditions I miss now that I can no longer countenance the far-leftward movement of the Episcopal Church.

Mom’ll know more about this than I do, but I understand that a branch of the Episcopals broke off from the main denomination when the latter turned left.

I think that what you are referring to is the United Episcopal Church, the one that Mick transferred to [Ld-Richard, for those of you who might remember him]. I think they have been around for a while, but they didn’t turn “left” like the “regular” Episcopal church.

Our pastor has hinted that he might consider bringing the Ash Wednesday practice to our church. Some of our churches are more liturgical than others. For my part, I wouldn’t mind a little more liturgy myself. All the liturgy we normally follow is done in such an apparently informal way, that it doesn’t seem like liturgy. When I was growing up in the Free Methodist church, our “call” to the communion table was [almost] identical to the Episcopalian version, although I didn’t know it, until one day, when I was talking to Mick (mentioned above) on the phone, I started quoting from it as well as I remembered. He had in his hands a copy of the Book of Common Prayer, 1928 version, and started reading where I had left off.

The Free Methodist church always tried to be “informal” about it, but the only real difference was that it was memorized, even the congregational responses, rather than read from a book. I think the members of the congregation generally just picked it up (after years of hearing it).

Y’all should be catholics! :grin:

The desire for liturgy isn’t enough reason to become Catholics. At least a few churches in our denomination are more liturgical, and there are no guidelines to preclude it. It’s just that we have been more informal from the inception. However, John Wesley, who we consider the “Father” of our general beliefs (not that it originated with him, but he brought it to the fore) was a very liturgical man. In fact, at one time, he didn’t believe in extemporaneous prayers; he preferred the written prayers of the church, because they kept inside the bounds of sound doctrine.

I don’t know if you’re familiar with Bishop Mark Lawrence, and what he’s been facing from The Episcopal Church in South Carolina, but it might do your heart good to hear that his is fighting the rascals who are pushing to go Left…and WINNING!
(I wouldn’t have known of this, but my daughter in S.C. is an Episcopalian - a follower of the original teachings - and an admirer of Bishop Lawrence who she’s had the pleasure of listening to, and also meeting in person to converse with.)
Here is a link to the latest goings on:
FAQs About the Assault on the Diocese of South Carolina

I’ll pull up what I think might be of specific interest to you.

The Diocese embraces the theology, morality and policies that have united Anglicans for centuries. However, many in TEC have broken with these positions that guide 80 million members of the world Anglican Communion. It is no longer the church we helped to establish more than 200 years ago. Today, we differ on the most fundamental cornerstone of Christianity: As good Anglicans we in the Diocese believe a moral life comes from the transforming power of faith in Christ alone; TEC says that is only one of the options available to members.

Minimizing the importance of Christ and his teaching calls into question much within TEC . This fundamental shift has resulted in families, parishes and entire dioceses leaving the church. In response to this dramatic loss of resources, TEC has tried to claim more centralized authority over its historically decentralized dioceses and parishes, including the authority to seize their property. TEC has every right to choose its path, but it has no right to impose it on us under the threat of commandeering property acquired through the blood and sweat of faithful believers.

Interesting. I left the church–with the exception of a short foray while living in Liberal, Kansas, because I knew the priest and liked him–along toward the end of the 1960’s when they decided to “ordain” an openly gay bishop. I’d sensed the leftward movement for several years, but that was the straw that broke the camel’s back with me. It was also about that time that I discovered the American Episcopal Church (but not the Anglican Church elsewhere) was (and still is) one of the major supporters of the World Council of Churches, which is an organization begun by and initially financed by the KGB, of all people. The WCC is well-known to be ultra-critical of anything American or of anything favored by any American ally. It has rarely (if ever) published anything critical of ANY communist country. It especially pounded away against the U.S. involvement in Vietnam and published a lot of outright lies about what was going on there…sort of like Walter Cronkite did domestically.

They changed the Book of Common Prayer so it wouldn’t be so “patrilineal” if you can believe it and even changed the words to a lot of hymns for the same purpose, including eliminating “Onward Christian Soldiers” because it was “too militant.” At one point they tried to change “Father, Son and Holy Ghost” with “Creator, Child and Holy Spirit” because the former is “sexist”, but I don’t think anyone actually bought it.

I think the Erie Diocese refused to go along with the gay agenda; I have a friend who is a member in that diocese, and he wrote a letter to the bishop thanking him for his stand. I haven’t heard it recently, since I no longer see this friend (I worked with him in Oil City, and in a suburb of Cleveland - he lives in Franklin).

One of my Godfathers (you’re supposed to have 2 if you’re male) was our parish priest, Fr. John Cassidy, who eventually left the church himself–in part because of the leftward drift, but also because the pay wasn’t enough for him to support his wife and 4 daughters adequately. He became a City Manager of a large City in Indiana later…and was doing that when I last talked to him. The bishop who confirmed me was Bishop John P. Crane who was the bishop coadjutor and my confirmation was his first official duty as such. Fr. Cassidy’s replacement was Fr. John Said (funny how many Johns, huh?) who was the retired bishop of Miami, FL. the last time I spoke with him around the time my father died (2003.)