Patreon is run by idiots

This is a reading of the transcript between one of the heads of Patreon’s “Trust and Safety” division and one of their creators who is concerned about Patreon’s arbitrary censorship.

I especially love the lines “We can have free speech - up to a point” and “There are different definitions of free speech”
and
“This is one of the things we do with creators. If they say ‘I’m about to go do this’ we say ‘don’t link this to Patreon’ or ‘don’t say this or this’”.

When people are concerned about your enforcement of unlisted rules and inconsistent enforcement, this has to be the worst possible way to reassure them, as it seems to confirm that the absolute worst assumptions were correct.

I felt like the people running this division were not the brightest, but this was just breath taking. I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone basically say “Yeah, everything we’re doing is arbitrary, random, subjective, and changes by the minute” but they do exactly that(as well as concede their entire premise was untrue and they are aware of this fact). I didn’t expect to sit through an entire 30 minute telephone call, but I couldn’t stop listening. The fact that anyone seriously operates a business this way is mind blowing.

P.S.
For those of you not aware of the Patreon fiasco, it started here

And this twitter thread sums things up pretty well