Paula Dean comes Clean

Paula Deen announced today that she has type 2 diabetes. The 64-year-old Food Network star said she’s teamed up with drug maker Novo Nordisk to promote a new program called “Diabetes in a New Light” which offers recipe tips and other coping advice for people with the disease.
Deen has had the disease for three years and treats it with the Novo Nordisk drug Victoza, according to USA Today. Victoza is a once daily injectable drug used with diet and exercise to control blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes.

Paula Deen’s type 2 diabetes: Is her cooking to blame? - HealthPop - CBS News

For those of us who are diabetics, we realize that there are certain foods that we are to limit in intake but does that mean others have to follow the same routine?

Honestly, I’m sure she’s a very nice person, but I would not eat from her kitchen. Her devotion to evil vile disgusting mayonnaise and it’s inclusion in everything from Ice Cream and chocolate chip cookies to bbq makes me want to retch just thinking about it.

Ok, slight exaggeration on my part, but seriously… she puts it in all kinds of things and I would never be able to order anything at her place without having to examine the ingredients to everything. It would be like ordering food in Korea if you wanted to avoid eating dog.

Food both in preparation and type being served is up to the individual. Folks in the south have traditionally been 'FatFried", northern cuisines are baked broiled, and our ancestors survived. Food preparation throughout Europe and Asia has their own methods of presentation. I am so sick and tired of people carping about puritanical diets, and “just so” preparation. I have a special diet for heart problems, and did my “diet” cause it? no I found I was genetically predisposed. BUT I eat anything I want IN MODERATION< use butter where needed, . I’m Doing fine as of this moment. [ except for a stomach virus which really knocked me dowm for a few days].

+1 I found out recently I have high cholesterol (I’m 20…wth?) But I knew it was because I chose to eat poorly for convenience. I’ve gotten better now. I cook more of my food and try I stick to sandwiches over burgers. Subway might as well take out half my paycheck because I certainly spend enough there.

Be careful about Subway; it can be healthy, but the dressings you get on your sub can kick you in the tail in terms of fat and cholesterol.

Your high cholesteral is far more likely the result of genetics not improper eating and if so, the genetics was exasberated by the poor diet. I have been doing genealogy on my family [ as a retirement gift to myself] and found that my mothers side, the menfolk went down in their 40s, 50s and 60s due to heart problems which I deduce came from the Cholesteral problem which was not understood at that time. On my dad’s side the men folk went down from other circumstances. My dad was an athlete at 71, [tennis pro] passed at 71 with malfeasance from a bad hospital. His dad was still working at 76 going down at that age from lung cancer. There were no diet restrictions back then. Great granddad went down at 78 [ no known cause at this time].
Paula Dean had no idea until a couple of years ago about her controllable diabetes, she chose to keep it quiet, [probably under some ill aimed advice] But it should in no way change her cooking style.

And not everyone needs the same level of cholesterol. My doctor finally gave up on trying to treat mine, because every medication that was tried indicated that the “cure” was worse than the “disease.”

Happy with my vegetarian diet. 20 lbs lighter and feeling fitter and better than ever.

My triglicerides are high and my good cholestrol is a little low. I take cholesterol med to keep the bad cholesterol down. My doctor has conceded to the beliviong that my high triglicerides are genetic. They have lowered due to my diet but are still high.

This woman’s medical condition is no ones business.

There’s no magic pills … chocolate chip cookies or apple pie meet ovo-lacto vegetarian standards without changing the recipes, and meeting vegan standards would not be hard for either. For most Americans with relatively sedentary jobs, the key is adding some exercise, portion control and balanced intelligent food choices (e.g. a BLT with mayo can be delicious and OK, but not 2 meals a day, all week long).

FWIW, I’ve lost 50+ lbs. in the past 10 or 11 months (and could lose another 50 - my goal for the next 12-18 months - and still be considered “overweight”) by moving more and eating smarter/less. My cholesterol and BP were/are controlled by medication. My triglycerides and blood sugar went from frustrating my nazi-cardiologist to pleasing him, and I’ve gone off one of the BP meds without my BP being affected.

Not everybody is diabetic and people have different lifestyles. There are those who are a lot more physical so they burn calories better. The solution as always is in moderation rather than telling Paula Dean she needs to conform to what ever the food police say now. The fact that what may be pushed as good now could be overturned later.

Just look at the egg. I have heard it is good, it is bad, and it is now good again.

The food pyramid has been turned upside down.

I would leave Paula Dean alone.

For the high triglycerides; I have been put on 500mg niacin,[ 2 ] timed capsules per day and exercise, this has kept my tri’s in check.

Well, Sam,I agree. That said, there is more to weight loss, than eating less and moving more. Pete can succeed under those parameters, but it does not work for me. I am a confirmed carbohydrate addict. This is not an assumption, I actually tested for it, and it was confirmed and substantiated, by my physician.
Carbohydrate addiction is no different than any other addiction, complete with withdrawal symptoms. A football game, and giant bag of chips, and you can kiss that whole bag, goodbye. There are times,when I cannot stop. The problem is that serotonin is not being produced to curb my cravings, and my hunger. Because of the high intake of simple carbs,my insulin/ glucose cycle,is never ending. I eat carbs, my pancreas reacts, turning all my sugar,into glycogen(fat), and this leaves my body screaming for more carbs, which I eat, my pancreas reacts…viscious cycle.
The first of the year, I started the Carbohydrate Addict’s Diet. This diet is built on the relationship between the brain(serotonin) and the pancreas(insulin), with regards to glucose/glycogen conversion. You see, when you eat carbs, especially simple carbs, your pancreas is commanded to inject a small dose of insulin into the blood. This dose is determined by the last couple of meals, you ate. Then, 1 hour and 15 minutes, to1 hour and a half later, if glucose is still present in the blood, the pancreas empties itself, causing all remaining sugar, to become glycogen fat, and stuffs it in to your cells. Since you have neutralized all the sugar, your body thinks it is starving, creating a need to eat.
So, now I eat a low carb breakfast, a low carb lunch, and a reward meal, which is anything I want. The only stipulation is, that I must consume the reward meal, in less than 1 hour. No eating after, or between meals. I have been losing about 1-3 lbs/week. I know, no matter how bad the cravings are, I’ll be able to satisfy them, in a few hours. Seems to be working.

I love carbs but, I’m not addicted to them. I have had acid reflux since my early/mid 20’s. As a result, I gravitated toward bland food which tends to be carbs (breads, potatoes, etc.). Now that I have been taking Nexium for the stomach problem for several years, I’m able to eat somewhat spicier foods and can back off from the carbs–which was a requirement after I became diabetic.

]

I am addicted. I cannot stop, when I get started. I have tried the Atkins style low carb diets, but they are not sustainable for a carb addict. Eating small amounts of carbs, fuels the addiction. I have found that eating a carb rich evening meal,curbs the carb cravings, and rewards me for abstaining the rest of the time. By consuming the carbs within one hour, I take the insulin factor out of the equation, and I continue to lose weight. It is slower than Atkins, which usually equates to a better long term result. Less chance that I’ll gain it back.
Here is a test to determine your addiction.

Are you hungry before lunch even if you’ve had a full breakfast?
Is it hard to stop eating starches, snack foods, junk food, or sweets?
Do you feel unsatisfied despite having just finished a meal?
Do you eat when you are not hungry?
Do you snack at night?
Are you lethargic after a big meal?
Are you tired and/or hungry in the afternoon without a reason to be?
Do you continue to eat even when you are full?
Do you yo-yo diet?

A score of 0–2 indicates no carbohydrate addiction. A score of 3–4 suggests a mild carbohydrate addiction. A score of5–7 suggests a moderate addiction. A score of 8–10 indicates a severe addiction to carbs.
I am an 8.

Are you hungry before lunch even if you’ve had a full breakfast?

No. But, I have to eat a small snack in the mid-morning to avoid low glucose.

Is it hard to stop eating starches, snack foods, junk food, or sweets?

I sometimes have a a hard time stopping chips or breads but, since I know that it will spike my glucose and cause other problems, it seldom occurs.

Do you feel unsatisfied despite having just finished a meal?

Not usually. The Byetta that I take gives the sensation of being full so, I eat less. That’s a good side effect from its main function to stimulate the pancreas to produce more insulin.

Do you eat when you are not hungry?

Often. It is required to manage my glucose levels.

Do you snack at night?

Not usually. Every now and then my glucose runs much lower than normal at night and dictates a snack. Usually some fruit or yogurt.

Are you lethargic after a big meal?

Yes but, it doesn’t happen very often. it is usually associated with a glucose spike that I have been doing a good job of avoiding.

Are you tired and/or hungry in the afternoon without a reason to be?

I’m too busy for that to happen.

Do you continue to eat even when you are full?

Not anymore.

Do you yo-yo diet?

No.

I guess that this means that I pass the test. LOL! However, my condition has dictated things to be this way.

Looks like I have a moderate addiction. I used to continue eating when I was full, but recently, my system rebels if I do. Otherwise, I answered yes to 5 of the questions.

[quote=“Susanna, post:17, topic:33222”]
Looks like I have a moderate addiction. I used to continue eating when I was full, but recently, my system rebels if I do. Otherwise, I answered yes to 5 of the questions.
[/quote]CL is not an addict, but you are. If you are looking to lose weight, you might consider the CAD. I continue to lose,while eating my favorite foods. I almost feel guilty.
The lady who invented the diet, is a research psychologist. She found it by accident. She was 286 lbs, and a yo-yo dieter. One morning, she was preparing to go to a Dr. appointment. She was having tests, that required her not to eat, 12 hours previous to the appt. The Office called, and told her that the appt. had to be changed to 4 PM. She freaked, knowing she could not eat, until 4 or 5, that evening. On the way to her Dr., she stopped and bought a couple of doughnuts, to eat in the office, after the tests.
After the tests, she decided to wait, until she left the Dr., since a nearby cafe was in her plans. When she got there, she pigged out. She even ate the doughnuts. She was feeling guilty, all night long. The next morning, she had lost 2 lbs. Curious, she repeated the previous day’s eating schedule, and lost another pound. She enlisted the help of a friend, who is a research biologist, and they cemented the entire program. Between the two, they lost over 200 lbs, and have kept it off, 20 years. By eating low carb breakfast and lunch, they slowed the rate of weight loss, to 2-3 lbs/week. That is a healthy rate of loss.
I would Google "Carbohydrate Addict’s Diet, and read to see, if it might help you. My extremely elderly mother, has lost 36 lbs, in 16 weeks. I am finding it difficult to keep up with her, she has so much renewed energy.

I’ve been losing weight steadily for some time, but it has been due to other problems. I lost almost 60 lbs in 2 years. I think I’m starting to gain it back, though.

I, too, am a carb addict. All it takes is a spoonful and I’m off and running. I also have diabetes, but I can control it without pills, thank God. I am following the old Atkins’ diet–it works best for me because I lose the cravings. There are so many new products out there that can be used. There is a bakery in California called “Julian’s Bakery” where you can get very low carb breads (not made with soy flour) that are excellent. They are pricey, though. You can also use these “noodles” called Shiraki (something like that) in place of pasta. I haven’t tried them yet, but I have read a lot of positive feedback about them.

Ever try mock mashed potatoes made with cauliflower? Absolutely delicious.

Also, I can’t stand Paula Deen. Her recipes are so unhealthy it’s not funny. It seems like she uses pounds of cream cheese, mayo, and butter in every recipe. YUCK! I also can’t stand that Rachel Ray. I can’t stand to listen to her for more than a few minutes. I don’t know how her husband can hack it. Ugh! I do like Jacque Pepin, Nick Stellano (I think that’s his last name), and I especially enjoy “Cook’s Country” (aka “America’s Test Kitchen”). Lots of great, old-fashioned recipes and cooking techniques.