Perry proposes amending Texas constitution to allow state to return excess taxes

Gov. Rick Perry will use his State of the State address to call for amending the Texas Constitution to allow the state to return tax money it collects but doesn’t spend back to its citizens, according to an excerpt of the speech released to The Associated Press.[FONT=arial]Perry, who is scheduled to deliver the speech Tuesday morning to a joint session of the Legislature, will tell lawmakers that he has “never bought into the notion that if you collect more, you need to spend more.”[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]“Today, I’m calling for a mechanism to be put in place so when we do bring in more than we need, we’ll have the option of returning tax money directly to the people who paid it,” the governor plans to say. “Currently, that’s not something our constitution allows. We need to fix that.”[/FONT]

Perry proposes amending Texas constitution to allow state to return excess taxes | Fox News

I think it is a good idea. it will be a popular move that is for sure. I wouldn’t mind seeing it pay down our debt or put towards other line items that were cut such as education. It will be hard to get democrats on board as they love to spend, spend, spend but I am sure that they will reconsider if they are facing re-election anytime soon.

I’d prefer to see something like lowering a tax rate. It’s hard for a state that doesn’t deal with yearly income taxes to do refunds. Well, unless they do refunds for property taxes, but… that would only affect property owners. I have no problems with that though.

First establish an emergency fund that can only be drawn on in case of severe emergency.

How to keep politician’s greedy hands off it? There’s the problem, but I think it can be fixed.

Personally I would prefer it to be either be used to pay off the debt or reinvested.

I agree and once that is done put any further extra into an untouchable fund to help hold off any further tax raises

Dang, I wish CA had this problem!

I agree. When/if we can get our deficit/debt problem under control this would be a wise move. I have no problem with our current tax rates. As it stands now the Feds take more from me than my owns state does. Personally I prefer it the other way. If anyone is gonna take money from me I would prefer it go to my state.

Not everyone can be blessed to live in the greatest state on Earth. :wink:

Florida had it, and put it in a ‘Rainy Day Fund’. That fund went real fast under Charlie Crist, our former chameleon Republican Governor, who supported Obama, BTW. I believe the surplus occured and the ‘Rainy Day Fund’ was established under Jeb Bush.

Charlie “Tan” or Bill Nelson… it was an unwinnable choice. Like David Duke vs Edwin Edwards that we had.

I admit voting for Charlie “Tan” and having a self loathing complex for a while. Same with Edwin.

I voted for Charlie “tunrncoat” Crist, other than that I voted straight Republican line except where there was no Republican on the ticket (local) and them I wrote my own name in.

Did you get elected to anything?

I had a friend who wrote herself in once when there was nobody running for a position, and she got elected. Actually, it may have been more than one position.