Philly abortion doctor guilty in 3 babies' deaths

Philly abortion doctor guilty in 3 babies’ deaths
May 13, 5:43 PM (ET)
By MARYCLAIRE DALE

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - An abortion doctor was convicted Monday of first-degree murder and could face execution in the deaths of three babies who were delivered alive and then killed with scissors at his grimy, “house of horrors” clinic.

In a case that became a grisly flashpoint in the nation’s abortion debate, Dr. Kermit Gosnell, 72, was also found guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the overdose death of an abortion patient. He was cleared in the death of a fourth baby, who prosecutors say let out a whimper before the doctor cut the spinal cord.

Gosnell was also convicted of infanticide, racketeering and more than 200 counts of violating Pennsylvania’s abortion laws by performing third-term abortions or failing to counsel women 24 hours in advance. The courtroom was locked for more than 30 minutes as the verdicts were read and the jurors polled one by one.

His co-defendant, former clinic employee Eileen O’Neill, was convicted of taking part in a corrupt organization and illegally billing for her services as if she were a licensed doctor.

Gosnell is 72. Would that he’d been brought to justice more timely!

Yes. But, at least he’s being brought to justice…to answer to the brutal and mengelesque practice he had going. Personally, I hope he doesn’t get the death penalty. That’s too easy for him. Let him rot in prison with other deviants.

Justice is served. But let’s not forget that Gosnell was providing a service to poor women in desparate circumstances. If such women could have gotten an abortion in the first trimester, their circumstances would have been no different than a million others.

So, in your opinion, Gosnell was still a good guy with good intentions?

Jazz: Come on… You can’t possibly believe that this new-age Dr. Mengele’s intentions was to provide assistance to poor women!!! BY HIS NEGLIGENCE, HE KILLED AN INNOCENT WOMAN!!! (Not to mention hundreds–perhaps thousands of babies!) Not exactly a Dr. Tom Dooley in my opinion! He preyed on women’s confusion and desperation FOR PROFIT!!! He was/is a monster! Monsters don’t belong in free society.

So, in your opinion, Gosnell was still a good guy with good intentions?

No, CL, he’s a monster preying on the poor and desparate.

I am as opposed to abortion as you are. Yes, we differ in that I acknowledge the legal right, and believe the “solution” of criminalizing the practice will just force more poor and desparate women into the arms of the Gosnells of the world.

The PRACTICAL (and legal) approaches I have advocated in post after post after post will do more to reduce abortions than any of the anti-women, anti-liberty rhetoric spouted by social “conservatives”.

I’ll say it again - the best way to reduce abortions is to reduce the number of unintended pregnancies. Wanted babies don’t get aborted. And the best way to make sure that every baby is a wanted baby is to increase education and access to CONTRACEPTIVES.

Gosnell’s victims were almost all poor women. Broadening access to birth control among poor women reduces abortion rates. And here’s proof: Researchers at the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis tracked, over a four year period, 9,200 low-income women in the St. Louis area who were given their choice of FDA-approved birth control methods at no cost. Among teens in the study, the birthrate dropped to ONE-FIFTH the national birth rate for teens. And abortions dropped to LESS THAN HALF of the regional and national rates.

Let’s work together for solutions that work, instead of demonizing poor women and those who want to reduce abortions just as you do as evil baby-killers.

Your post made it sound like you were trying to find some saving grace with Gosnell even though you believe that he is a monster. It came off as, ‘Gosnell is a monster. But, He’s a well-meaning monster.’

I think he’s saying that if women have easy access to first-trimester abortions, they won’t turn to monsters like Gosnell.

That’s the sense I got, too.