political views survey

do our surveys disappear after a while? or did i just misplace mine?! wouldnt surprise me

What browser do you use Patricia??? You have more problems than I can count. Use mozilla firefox and buy mcafee or the new Norton 360, update to windows 7, and install and get up to date all windows updates and watch all your problem go away.

my browsers are explorer and chrome, i have mcafee, i have windows 8.1, i update everything constantly.

and i have only mentioned on this site a fraction of my problems.

i dont think i could have caused the crash!! but if WIJG decides i am typhoid patricia i will quietly go away. but i come up clean on every virus scan. i dont think its a virus. i think its a hacker who has gained remote control or at least remote interference. i even think i might know who it is but no way to prove it.

Here’s my advice. Delete all internet history and downloads in all of your browsers. get ride of Google chrome and internet explorer and use Firefox. Firefox did an update recently that made it better/safer than Chrome. IE is the worst of all time. More advice would be to go into you add/remove programs and anything you see that was installed on your computer starting from the day these issues popped up double click on them and click ok to delete them. If you think something is supicious delete it. Anything that says windows on it keep it. What tends to happen is hacker gain access to your computer through installing programs on your computer in combination with other programs. Delete the program you delete his access.

Also add a maleware program that gets rid of harmful maleware/spyware. has to be compatible with Mcafee to prevent even more issues. If this doesn’t work if you backed up your computer to a disk also known as a restore point just start your computer from scratch. If not, take your computer to a best buy a place you can trust and tell them you want them to keep you word documents and pictures and tell them to get rid of all viruses and to restart your computer to what is was when you first got it. Might cost you %50.00 to $100.00, but it’s worth it.

[quote=“brewerfanx1, post:4, topic:43418”]
Here’s my advice. Delete all internet history and downloads in all of your browsers. get ride of Google chrome and internet explorer and use Firefox. Firefox did an update recently that made it better/safer than Chrome. IE is the worst of all time. More advice would be to go into you add/remove programs and anything you see that was installed on your computer starting from the day these issues popped up double click on them and click ok to delete them. If you think something is supicious delete it. Anything that says windows on it keep it. What tends to happen is hacker gain access to your computer through installing programs on your computer in combination with other programs. Delete the program you delete his access.

Also add a maleware program that gets rid of harmful maleware/spyware. has to be compatible with Mcafee to prevent even more issues. If this doesn’t work if you backed up your computer to a disk also known as a restore point just start your computer from scratch. If not, take your computer to a best buy a place you can trust and tell them you want them to keep you word documents and pictures and tell them to get rid of all viruses and to restart your computer to what is was when you first got it. Might cost you %50.00 to $100.00, but it’s worth it.
[/quote] this is all excellent advice. only problem, i have done all these things. several times. to several computers. at enormous expense. i dont want to do the hard drive reformat–or hard drive replacement-- again until i know that i have some way of preventing the same durn stuff from happening again (immediately). and right now i dont know of anything new to try in the preventative line that i havent already tried to no avail. so a hard drive reformat would probably be money down the drain at this point.

some folks have told me i’d have fewer security issues with a mac. probably true but i guess i am a somewhat lazy old dog who doesnt want to learn new tricks. i also believe my hacker to be highly sophisticated and lavishly resourced. its not a level playing field between him/her and me. problem is, with the physical limitations i now have, an intellectual lifeline like this site means a lot to me. i am reluctant to let a hacker, if hacker there be, and a lot of things point in that direction–i dont want to let him/her win even tho i am poorly placed to win this war. it makes me angry that someone can do this, whether or not it is being done to me. it’s just so wrong. it’s a virtual home invasion.

i approached the computer science dept at the local college with my previous computer and offered to donate it to them they could take it apart, i didnt care if i got it back, if they could determine exactly what had happened to it. i thot there might be a student or instructor who might find it an interesting challenge. no takers.

An option might be to get rid of a home phone and establish a cell phone services and buy a IPAD. Go through Verizon. You can get one for $50-$100, because when you open a new line or account you automatically qualify for their discounted pricing. If you are only on the internet to check mail and be on this site then the amount of GB you use shouldn’t be that high unless you are on all day. However, you can set up e-mail notifications for this site if someone responds to you, and if you don’t get responses, then you will be on less. This way you have a whole new IP address, whole new computer, and your home phone and internet services provider can be canceled and you can put that money towards Verizon/Ipad, and you shouldn’t have any more problems.

Ask John if you can sign up with a whole new account with all new information with a new username/password/e-mail and just PM the people you talk to on here and let them know it’s you if you want to keep it private. This will prevent 100% the hacker from being able to access your information and devices on this site or elsewhere. This is truly a fresh start. Sell your computer on Amazon or ebay or craigs list and get most of your money back. Also, when you get the IPAD don’t login to you old e-mail, bank and any other accounts you have. Call the companies over the phone and have them reset all passwords and allow you to create new user names. This should allow you to do everything you did before, but with the hacker not knowing it’s you, and him being able to find out it’s you. It’s truly a fresh start. John can delete your account completely, which will prevent this from affecting the site. (do this last part with your IPAD) Important.

I need to reset your profile. This should be a one time fix.

Microsoft’s various operating systems are - let’s see - how do I want to phrase this without contradicting an obvious fact - that Gates is right up there with Edison and we owe him a great deal; he and a handful of others, changed the world. That said, the operating systems are not that great - full of holes, constantly in need of security update, patches and the purchase of additional security software is a must - even then, you can count on viruses and the possibility of getting hacked is REAL!!

IMO - Apple/Mac has proven it offers far superior operating systems - especially when it comes to internet security. It is significantly more difficult to penetrate, so the pimple-faced geeks don’t generally concentrate on breaking in or attacking/infecting your computer. They opt for the lower hanging fruit plated up by Windows.

That said, if you insist on continuing with the Microsoft software/Windows I would recommend you look into a Houston based company - Microtec. You will have to 86 Chrome - as I recall, Microtec software/security products and Chrome are not compatible . Their anti-viral/sweeping/anti-hacking/daily malware/phishing clean-up ain’t cheap, but they install it remotely and it works. Automatic updates for as long as you own the computer is part of the deal. The company provides a 24 hr help-line number that actually has a real tech guy on the other end - from India, I suspect. I have this on two computers, a real BIG/FAST one and a laptop - had this security system for the past year (cost = $450 for both computers). First full year any Windows OS machines I have ever owned performed flawlessly.

However, rest assured - I perform personal business/banking on a very late model/sophisticated MAC. In this year of our lord, 2014, a relatively big $ Apple/MAC is a superior/safer machine. Once you get used to the OS I think you would find it more intuitive to use than any Microsoft/Windows OS. But, I doubt everyone would agree.

By the way, the cost of a Windows machine vs one of the $$ MACs is not a pile of money - at least it isn’t by the time you hang on the Microsoft/Windows machine all the programs/security software that is required - even then you will probably get infected a couple of times per year/ computer will slow down, etc… And ye gods, dealing with all of the software artifacts associated with a Microsoft OS - life is simply too short.

Good luck

many thanks to everyone who offered suggestions, all of them very well thought through. i have some difficult decisions to make.

Patricia, your survey should now be fixed. It was a bug on RO’s side. A week or so ago I changed your username to not have a space in it (was “patricia reed”) when you were having problems with your password not working… well, the poor design of the survey code requires that the username match – along with the user ID – so it needed me to do a little reset on your account.

Your survey should be just like you left it.

[quote=“WhoIsJohnGalt, post:10, topic:43418”]
Patricia, your survey should now be fixed. It was a bug on RO’s side. A week or so ago I changed your username to not have a space in it (was “patricia reed”) when you were having problems with your password not working… well, the poor design of the survey code requires that the username match – along with the user ID – so it needed me to do a little reset on your account.

Your survey should be just like you left it.
[/quote] many thanks!

still an occasional glitch, one of which just happened to me just now as I started this reply. when I reply to a post, the quote that I want to reply to, is always scrunched up against the right margin, and I cannot start my reply after the end of the quote. I have to either go back and insert my reply before the quote, which is confusing to the reader, or I have to go to advanced format, which is what I usually do and it works, so not a big deal. however, often I really don’t need the advanced format but have to use it because of this odd little glitch. it happens every time I use explorer, only some of the time in chrome.

I won’t be able to solve any design issues that crop up in Internet Explorer any time soon. Hopefully RO will get a much needed design update before the end of the year, but it’s low priority at the moment.

[quote=“WhoIsJohnGalt, post:12, topic:43418”]
I won’t be able to solve any design issues that crop up in Internet Explorer any time soon. Hopefully RO will get a much needed design update before the end of the year, but it’s low priority at the moment.
[/quote] ok. I usually find ways to work around these minor glitches. still haven’t found my survey tho, guess I forgot where I put it! (smile)

In every one of your posts, in the top right there is a “Political Views: Survey” link. The Survey part is the link to your survey :slight_smile:

[quote=“WhoIsJohnGalt, post:14, topic:43418”]
In every one of your posts, in the top right there is a “Political Views: Survey” link. The Survey part is the link to your survey :slight_smile:
[/quote] oops…

Do you know anyone who knows how to set up a dual boot system on your computer? I set my wifes computer up so she has a choice at boot to load Windows or a version of Linux that I like, that way I can reboot to Linux if she is having a web issue and see if the problem goes away or persists.

That is a quick way to determine if there is a virus issue since Linux is virtually immune to such annoyances and if you decide you like the Linux setup you never have to boot into Windows again, this is a zero cost solution if you know someone with the chops to set it up.

2 Likes

[quote=“RET423, post:16, topic:43418”]
Do you know anyone who knows how to set up a dual boot system on your computer? I set my wifes computer up so she has a choice at boot to load Windows or a version of Linux that I like, that way I can reboot to Linux if she is having a web issue and see if the problem goes away or persists.

That is a quick way to determine if there is a virus issue since Linux is virtually immune to such annoyances and if you decide you like the Linux setup you never have to boot into Windows again, this is a zero cost solution if you know someone with the chops to set it up.
[/quote]And it’s actually pretty easy to do, at least from the Linux side . . . the classic “follow the on screen instructions”.

Patricia, not that I’m unsympathetic to your computer issues, but I never understood the point in taking a political survey, as most people lie in them, anyway.
Not a major issue w/me; just one of those things I don’t do. Kinda like the quote surrounding statistics: “Lies, damn lies, and statistics.”

Then how do we know if you are on the right or left?

[quote=“RET423, post:16, topic:43418”]

[/quote] the feeling I get with my computer (but who knows) is not so much that it has viruses (its always pure as the driven snow on scans) but that someone has obtained user and even administrator privileges through remote access and changes settings, among other things, at will. I am keenly aware that this is a statistically improbable scenario. however, lets say we just humor it and go with it as a thought experiment. would Linux solve this or prevent this if in fact this was the problem?