political views survey

[quote=“Susanna, post:39, topic:43418”]
Nope, I installed software on it
[/quote]Then if you installed software on your machine, IT WAS AN ADMIN ACCOUNT. It may not have been that the account was called “admin”, but whatever it was (it could have been called “cucumber” for all your machine cared . . . the machine doesn’t grant permissions based on what label you use, it grants permissions based on the TYPE of account.) You HAD administrator privileges for that account, otherwise it wouldn’t have “let” you install software.

[quote=“patriciareed, post:40, topic:43418”]
I don’t feel confident enough to do it without a parachute! you are correct that I never had any ambition to be a computer geek to even a very minor extent, but it has been forced upon me.
[/quote]Then if that’s the case, you are wise to get somebody that knows their way around OS’s, AND CAN BE PHYSICALLY PRESENT (doing these things via message boards is fraught with minefields . . . your description of what you “see” can frequently be misleading . . . the helper actually needs to SEE the screen . . . there is the device of “Remote Assistance”, but I wouldn’t recommend it for YOU.)

As I said in a previous post, I rily rily DO think Linux may solve what you described as YOUR problem. There may be a way to configure Windoze to do that (and you might describe your “problem” to your helper and see if he/she can do that for you), but what you want is a “set it and forget it” solution, and Linux may do that best.

[quote=“BobJam, post:38, topic:43418”]
RET is more familiar with Windoze commands than I am, but I think the space you had in the word “Software”, and you also used the word “Program” instead of “Platform” as RET instructed, is tripping up the recognition.

Again, I’m not that familiar with Windoze commands, so RET will set you straight, but I know Linux gets very cranky if you have a space where it shouldn’t be or even use upper case instead of the lower case it wants to see. I’m pretty sure Windoze is similar, but I DO know Linux is very particular about the syntax of a command.

You may be able to get away with swapping upper and lower case in the Windoze command line, but Linux will spit it back to you if you do that. Linux commands have to be exact even with case.
[/quote] I checked the log again and again it shows innumerable errors, warnings, and special log-ons with special privileges being assigned. the command prompt was C:\patsy\ and after that I typed %systemroot%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\SoftwareProtectionPlatform

the reply was as before, with the last part corrected just as I had corrected it, changing “Program” to “Platform.” I used upper case only when and where RET did. the reply again

‘C:WINDOWS\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\SoftwareProtectionPlatform’ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I am not sure why RO keeps putting a space in the word “software” in that command, it was not intentional but I cannot get it to post right. If you corrected that intuitively then my syntax is probably wrong, I quit using windows after XP so I based that on some assumptions based on research to grant your security suite permanent administrator privileges. I will see if I can correct it when I get some time.

Bob’s info post on Linux is great, I would add that there are several lesser known GUI’s like LXDE and one I just found and am downloading (OMNI) do still sport the old school start button and taskbar with an XP style menu and icon configuration, these are very fast and simple GUI’s (using less than 50 mb of ram) if you don’t need or want all the eye candy.

I will post back after trying OMNI to let you know how it is but I usually run PcLinuxOS with one of the less demanding desktop environments over the better known distro’s.

1 Like

Question about a dual installation: Linux cannot read windows formatted data drives? Like mp3s, videos and photos? Or can it?

All Linux distros can read FAT32 and most can read NTFS, they do warn that writing to an NTFS could cause errors but I have never encountered any trouble.

MP3 files, all video files except possibly .mov (never tried Apples format) and all the common image files like .jpg .jpeg .bmp .png as well as .pdf files are all just as accessible in Linux.

Every Distro I have installed in the last 5 years as a dual boot with XP can read the XP’s NTFS partition and view all of the files that I have stored in the XP’s folders directly from the Linux desktop including flash drives.

The printer support has gotten pretty good as well

1 Like

I install stuff all the time without logging on as admin.

Edit: I seem to remember trying to do something that required admin status, and the machine told me I couldn’t do it unless I was logged on as admin; it was just a matter of curiosity, so I didn’t bother.

[quote=“Susanna, post:47, topic:43418”]
I install stuff all the time without logging on as admin
[/quote]Then whatever account you’re using DOES have admin privileges for at least THAT manipulation. And if that’s the case, anybody that penetrates YOUR machine and your account (IOW, WHILE you’re logged in) can do the same thing. Your door is wide open.

[quote=“RET423, post:44, topic:43418”]
I would add that there are several lesser known GUI’s like LXDE and one I just found and am downloading (OMNI) do still sport the old school start button and taskbar with an XP style menu and icon configuration, these are very fast and simple GUI’s (using less than 50 mb of ram) if you don’t need or want all the eye candy

I will post back after trying OMNI to let you know how it is but I usually run PcLinuxOS with one of the less demanding desktop environments over the better known distro’s.
[/quote]Yes, that is why some versions of Linux are better suited than the bloated Windoze to run on older machines with lower RAM.

LXDE is a prime example of a sleek and slim DE.

I don’t run LXDE (though I DID try it, and found it satisfactory) or any of the other sleeker DE’s or Linux flavors because I really don’t have an issue with memory or speed (though every once in a while I forget to do some basic housekeeping, and the resulting slow down is an alert to do so.) I have plenty of memory, and usually keep my configs efficient.

But if I had a memory, graphics board, or sluggishness issue, I WOULD opt for one of the lighter versions of DE’s and Linux flavors. Linux is much better at efficient code than Windoze, though recent versions of Ubuntu are starting to get bloated. One of the first things I do in installing an OS is get rid of all the crapola I don’t need and will never use (and believe me, there is a lot of crapola on some of these OS’s . . . the one-size-fits-all approach insures that.)

I don’t like a lot of eye candy either, and will generally opt to eliminate that nonsense. For example, as you might see in my DE backgrounds, I don’t use a lot of heavy and intense graphic shots of “beach scenes” or personal photos. Plain and dull is fine with me on a computer. I get all the eye candy I want on a TV.

[quote=“RET423, post:46, topic:43418”]
All Linux distros can read FAT32 and most can read NTFS, they do warn that writing to an NTFS could cause errors but I have never encountered any trouble.

MP3 files, all video files except possibly .mov (never tried Apples format) and all the common image files like .jpg .jpeg .bmp .png as well as .pdf files are all just as accessible in Linux.

Every Distro I have installed in the last 5 years as a dual boot with XP can read the XP’s NTFS partition and view all of the files that I have stored in the XP’s folders directly from the Linux desktop including flash drives.

The printer support has gotten pretty good as well
[/quote]Yes, I’ve never had much of a problem with reading the files my Windoze buddies sent me.

And for those few times that I HAVE, I have a VM that runs XP and that’s one of the things I use it for.

The Linux standard file system, called “ext4” is, IMO, superior to NTFS if only because it doesn’t need defragmenting (unless your partition is over 80% full).

Nevertheless, Linux CAN read other file systems (see link above for a listing.)

And, yes, “cups” (“Common Unix Printing System”) HAS improved.

[quote=“RET423, post:44, topic:43418”]
I am not sure why RO keeps putting a space in the word “software” in that command, it was not intentional but I cannot get it to post right. If you corrected that intuitively then my syntax is probably wrong, I quit using windows after XP so I based that on some assumptions based on research to grant your security suite permanent administrator privileges. I will see if I can correct it when I get some time.

Bob’s info post on Linux is great, I would add that there are several lesser known GUI’s like LXDE and one I just found and am downloading (OMNI) do still sport the old school start button and taskbar with an XP style menu and icon configuration, these are very fast and simple GUI’s (using less than 50 mb of ram) if you don’t need or want all the eye candy.

[/quote] thanks very much. I am determined to get this solved so I can really enjoy my computer.

Okay, I have installed PcLinuxOS with the MATE desktop on this laptop, it is LIGHTNING fast and stable. RO works flawlessly in every way with the Firefox version that is installed with it and the latest LibreOffice that easily installs is the best office suite I have used yet.

It is very similar to the Windows XP desktop without all the resource hungry eye candy, there are a few differences like single click to open program shortcuts but I think that can be changed to double click if preferred.

Here is a screenshot;
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2170[/ATTACH]
It comes with several background images and icon sets but it supports all image formats so just about any background image can be used. I quickly connected to the web via my wireless network and my Lexmark Networked Printer is responding well, the same is true regarding access to all the other computers in my Network.

As always I used the package manager (Synaptics) to update everything right after install and then installed LibreOffice, all video and music formats play flawlessly as well. My youngest son logged into a game site that he uses to try out this version and is now asking me to setup his computer as a dual boot with this operating system because it runs better and faster with this Linux version than any computer he has ever played these games with (aq.com).

Here is a link to the download for anyone who wants to check it out, it comes setup as a “Live CD” so it can be tried without installing it. It was pretty fast off the CD but a total flamethrower once I installed it to the hard drive. It is available for both 32 and 64 bit architectures.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/get-pclinuxos/mate/

The site is down for maintenance right now but that is not unusual, they have a GREAT forum for help getting things set up as well for newbies. I am very pleased with this distribution, if anyone wants a clean fast PC and no Malware worries this is worth a good hard look.

1 Like

[quote=“RET423, post:52, topic:43418”]
Okay, I have installed PcLinuxOS with the MATE . . .
[/quote]Excellent post . . . my compliments.

1 Like

I’m going to buy a Mac. problem solved.

[/QUOTE][QUOTE=RET423;670637] If anyone wants a clean fast PC and no Malware worries this is worth a good hard look.
I am busy “calling in my chips” and activating local social networks to find someone who is willing and able to do this for me or at least look over my shoulder when I do it. With your clear instructions, I could maybe do it but don’t want to take a chance. Unfortunately, my local networks are mostly older people who are not computer oriented even if they have one which most do not, but I will persevere until I find someone who is Linux literate.

Apparently, tho, this is EXACTLY what I need to do, because last night a NortonLive technician (I recently switched from Connectech) told me that my Windows 8.1 OS is “hopelessly corrupted.” It’s still limping along, but I hope to have Linux on board by the end of the week.

Do you have access to another computer while your current one is being modified?

A Chromebook might be a good option.

[quote=“RET423, post:56, topic:43418”]
Do you have access to another computer while your current one is being modified?
[/quote] hadn’t thought that thru, but whatever lucky soul ends up helping me will probably be someone who has a laptop, and I can ask them to bring it along to our session with my desktop. dumb question no doubt, but why would this be important?

If you get stuck you can post it here and we can probably help, if you are offline that won’t be possible.

[quote=“RET423, post:59, topic:43418”]
If you get stuck you can post it here and we can probably help, if you are offline that won’t be possible.
[/quote] thank you very very much. i will try to have a laptop on hand for backup.