Poll Shows Romney Winning High Water Mark for Libertarian Vote

In a recent article on TheBlaze, Reason’s Matt Welch, FreedomWork’s Matt Kibbe, and David Boaz, speculated whether Romney can win over libertarians. As we’ve shown in previous studies, libertarians represent a key swing vote that decides elections.

Well, Emily Ekins and our friends at Reason shared with us data from a recent Reason-Rupe poll by which we can measure the libertarian vote. This is the best data point yet on where libertarians stand in the 2012 election.

The Reason-Rupe September 2012 poll includes our favorite ideological questions to differentiate libertarians from liberals and conservatives. Using three questions, we can define libertarians as respondents who believe “the less government the better,” who prefer the “free market” to handle problems, and who want government to “favor no particular set of values.” These fiscally conservative, socially liberal voters represent 20% of the public in the Reason-Rupe poll, in line with previous estimates.

Poll Shows Romney Winning High Water Mark for Libertarian Vote | Cato @ Liberty

In November we will see if this is true. Libertarians just like any other party have differences in what they think so it is possible many would vote for Rommey instead of voting for the libertarian candidate.

I don’t see Libertarians doing anything but either writing in Gary Johnson or Ron Paul.

So a poll about libertarians that didn’t actually ask libertarians. Seems legit to me. LOL.

[quote=“JMB87, post:3, topic:36333”]
So a poll about libertarians that didn’t actually ask libertarians. Seems legit to me. LOL.
[/quote]Matt Welch is editor in chief of Reason, the libertarian magazine of “Free Minds and Free Markets.” He is co-author, along with Nick Gillespie, of the 2011 book

Matt Welch : Staff - Reason.com

Whoa it looks like it was conducted by libertarians by asking libertarians

I know who Matt Welch is and I know Reason, I read their site at times, however, it is irrelevant here. They didn’t actually go out and ask registered libertarians, or even ask people who would consider themselves libertarian. It was simply based on those three questions. Read it again.

Cripe, Guys and gals; we have discussed the fallacy of polls. I take ALL of them with a grain of sea salt.

Heh…look like RO’s libertarians are the FRINGE of that point of view! The fringe of the fringe! :tongue:
Glad to see the vast majority of the libertarian leaning will be voting for Mitt and working within the Rep party for change instead of enabling Obama.

Interesting that when Johnson is thrown into the mix…his % comes equally from Dems and Reps.