Pop Culture’s Most Popular TV Show Is–Brace Yourself–The Bible

Pop Culture’s Most Popular TV Show Is–Brace Yourself–The Bible
by Megan Basham

2013/03/08

This past Sunday the television industry felt the ground shake when the first installment of the History Channel’s five-part miniseries, The Bible, drew a whopping 14.3 million viewers. … And it officially made The Bible the number one scripted cable broadcast of the year.

The news was apparently so astonishing it prompted Business Week to investigate exactly how the basic cable network pulled it off and inspired Time magazine’s resident T.V. critic, James Poniewozik, to ponder whether The Bible’s success will lead to further mainstream forays into religious-themed entertainment.

What’s more astonishing, given how often pro-faith productions put up massive numbers, is that major media outlets still feel the need to run shocked headlines about it.

First, of course, came The Passion of the Christ. The highest-earning R-rated movie of all time was expected to issue a wake-up call to the industry about the potential for films based on Scripture. When it didn’t, a series of indie movies from Sherwood Baptist Church reaped so much cash from their fairly meager showing, the Hollywood Reporter called them, “some of the most profitable films in modern history.” …

All of this should have sent a clear message to network and studio executives long before last Sunday—if you build something of even middling quality (and, unfortunately, middling is generous in The Bible’s case) that is even remotely respectful of Christian faith, Christians of all stripes will tune in or buy tickets to see it.

Hollyweird has the rep of being all about $$, but this is not currently true, IMO. Anti-war pic after anti-war pic have flowed from Hollyweird for the past 10 years, all financial disasters, yet I’m sure there are more to come (and bomb). One pic comes out, “Zero Dark Thirty”, that celebrates an accomplishment in the War On Terror, and two things happen: it’s a big financial success; Hollyweirders find reasons to condemn it. Hollyweird churns out out anti-Christian pics like “The Handmaid’s Tale”, most of them financial disasters (and you can guarantee there will be a steady stream of more coming). But “The Passion of the Christ”, Sherwood Baptist’s films, The “Veggie Tales” series, Rob “Doughnut Man” Evans and the “Psalty” series are all highly successful financially, and Hollyweird condemns or ignores them (Not heard of some of the examples I cited? Like I said, “ignores them”, i.e. the silent treatment.). Hollyweird loves $$; there are ideologies Hollyweird loves enough and hates enough to forgo $$.

I’m recording this now. And I’m not watching it because I believe any religious anything. I’m watching it because in the past year, the History channel has been killing it with these high production mini-series. If you guys haven’t seen them yet, you should check out “The Men Whole Built America” and “Mankind: The Story Of All Of Us”. I don’t know what the ratings were for those specials. I’m sure much lower than the Bible, but they are awesome. You should check them out.

I have watched both episodes, that have aired. Fairly Good so far, but there are some discrepancies. I’ll watch all five, and then decide their worth, to me.

Too much is left out. What they show is good watching but I wish they would do the whole Bible.
They study the Iliad and the Odyssey in public schools but ban the bible? The Bible is our oldest written history of a Race of people and their spiritual evolvement. It’s worse than hypocrisy, it’s hatred for Jews, it’s RACISM!!

They probably contain more Biblical truths than some people see in their lifetimes. I’m not able to watch it, of course (no TV signal), but I base this on what I have read about it, and FC told me some about the interview with Roma Downey & her husband on Focus on the Family.

Thats wild. I used to go to Sherwood Baptist in Albany, GA.

I saw half of the third episode and I thought they would completely screw it up. There are inaccuracies, but I was pleasantly surprised.

The Ten Commandments was a classic, and I think that film had a few inaccuracies.

[quote=“Susanna, post:5, topic:38610”]
They probably contain more Biblical truths than some people see in their lifetimes. I’m not able to watch it, of course (no TV signal), but I base this on what I have read about it, and FC told me some about the interview with Roma Downey & her husband on Focus on the Family.
[/quote]Oh, I agree. There is a disclaimer that things have been condensed for time. Nastew has a point, that it “jumps” ahead quite a bit, and in so doing, neglect certain points/accounts. Still, moderately entertaining and fairly well done. Hard to give an accurate account, in 5-2 hour episodes.