Pope Francis approves miracle required to make Mother Teresa a saint

Pope Francis approves miracle required to make Mother Teresa a saint | Fox News

Has there been a more selfless person?

The truth is that every human being who died as a Christian is a saint, and was a saint while living. Every single person who has a personal relationship to Jesus Christ is a saint, living or dead. That is the description of a saint.

Yes.

I think I have to agree with RW. Mother Teresa spent MUCH more of her time fund-raising than actually taking care of the poor souls in Calcutta. THEY were tended to by the other sisters…NOT Teresa. She was also adept at self-promotion. Who HASN’T heard of her in this country?

I don’t know what all is what; I don’t believe that it’s for the Pope to “approve” or “disapprove” miracles. But I’m certainly not going to knock Mother Teresa. I understand that she did in fact do a lot. And whatever the reasons actually are (I don’t know), just because everyone has heard of her doesn’t mean that she was self-promoting; fame comes by many avenues. Trig Palin certainly didn’t self-promote, and neither did Terri Schiavo.

I also seem to remember that Mother Teresa died about the same time as Princess Diana - and the publicity about Diana completely overshadowed Mother Teresa. Whether that means anything or not (except for pointing out the shallowness of the media, and probably the general public), I don’t know, but there it is for whatever it’s worth.

Oh, yes, and as FC said, I am quite certain that she got her own fingers “dirty,” and didn’t leave everything up to her co-workers.

Anyway, the real issue here is that the Pope has no authority from God to determine her “sainthood,” in spite of the fact that the Roman Catholic church “recognizes” that ability. That is the province of God, and God only.

Well, sainthood isn’t actually a biblical concept to start with. It was created by the Catholic Church, and it makes sense for it to be governed by them.
Saints are more or less “mini-gods”. They tend to be associated with particular types of miracles, much like lesser Roman or Greek gods, like Pan or Bacheus.

I view Sainthood as just acknowledging individuals that have done great things for humanity in the name of the Lord.

This. Saints are Christian role models who should be honored for their lives and faith; they are in no way to be worshiped as deities in any sense of word.

[quote=“Seravee, post:9, topic:47981”]
I view Sainthood as just acknowledging individuals that have done great things for humanity in the name of the Lord.
[/quote]That has nothing to do with the Catholic idea of sainthood.
You probably also just think of the pope as just another dude, rather than the only direct voice of God on Earth.

The concept of sainthood is uniquely Catholic. A Protestant is not going to share the view, for the same reason you don’t use holy water or believe in purgatory.

The word “saint” can have more than one meaning. What the pope is doing here, doesn’t have a Protestant equivalent.

“Saints” are God’s holy ones. Every true Christian is a saint in the Biblical sense.

No a Protestant but ok. I view all religions as having merit and understand what the office of the Pope is. Of the 3 Popes I have know in my lifetime, I have each afford them the proper respect.