Pope names 7 new saints, seeks to revive faith

Some 80,000 pilgrims in flowered lei, feathered headdresses and other traditional garb flooded St. Peter’s Square on Sunday as Pope Benedict XVI added seven more saints onto the roster of Catholic role models in a bid to reinvigorate the faith in parts of the world where it’s lagging.

Two of the new saints were Americans: Kateri Tekakwitha, the first Native American saint from the U.S., and Mother Marianne Cope, a 19th century Franciscan nun who cared for leprosy patients in Hawaii.
It seemed as if a third saint, Pedro Calungsod, a 17th century Filipino teenage martyr, drew the biggest crowd of all, with Rome’s sizeable Filipino expat community turning out in flag-waving droves to welcome the country’s second saint.

My Way News - Pope names 7 new saints, seeks to revive faith

I have never been real big on saints and the only one I would have choose for sainthood was Mother Teresa. Now I realize one of the requirements of obtaining sainthood has to do with some miracle involved but I choose her because I have always heard about her unselfishness and she lived very simply as opposed to many a preacher I see who surround themselves with wealth and worldly goods.

To be canonized there need to be 2 miracles attributed to you, you need one to be beatified.

It’s nice to see two American saints added, both of them hopefully will serve as inspirations to many people to live a more charitable, humble, and spiritual life. I hope that if people can take one thing from all of their stories it is that through Christ all things are possible and all pain is healed.

I’m beautiful and they turned me down, ----------------------------------------------maybe because I’m not Catholic, do you think?

Since when could people perform miracles?

According to the Bible, all believers are Saints.

The way for the Pope to build the Church is GET BACK TO THE TRUE GOSPEL and out of the materialistic world. Adding “Saints” will not do it, rewriting the Catholic creed will not do it. Jesus told Nicodemus a Pharisee and member of the Sanhedrin, “I tell you the Truth, No ONE can see the Kingdom of God Unless he is Born again.” Salvation comes from the Shed Blood of the Atonement Lamb. THIS IS SCRIPTURE!

I think the most important change that needs to occur in the Catholic Church is a purge of the modernism infecting our Church. We need to get back to our traditional faith, revert back to the Tridentine Mass, and a return to our “Church militant” roots.

The Church recognizes Saints as people that have pleased God while on Earth, and have bypassed Purgatory and are in Heaven with Our Father. We dont presume to say that anyone is in Hell.
Saints are other role models for how to act in faith and more examples to follow in order to ‘be Jesus’ and then ‘see God’. They are out older brothers/sisters in faith.

The Catholic Church IS the true Gospel. Since the keys were handed from Christ to Peter the Church has been the Bride of Christ and his Hands on Earth. The rest of the Christian faith is but a splinter away from complete truth. The tail doesnt wag the dog.

Peace.

The Catholic Church is the gospel as opposed to the Bible? Because they often contradict.

[quote=“Bigfoot_88, post:9, topic:36710”]
The Catholic Church is the gospel as opposed to the Bible? Because they often contradict.
[/quote]If the Pope is infallible, then what he says cannot contradict the Bible. Only clarify it.

Except Popes are human, and humans sin. Many Popes have been horrible. I doubt that is a clarification of the Bible.

But if they are infallible, that makes them a God, and there can be no other God.

There is nothing in the Bible that institutes anything similar to the Catholic Pope.

When I look at the Catholic Church historically, I see a well organized power-money structure.

The Church* fuffills* the Gospel, then.
So, where would you say they contradict?

[quote=“Bigfoot_88, post:11, topic:36710”]
Except Popes are human, and humans sin. Many Popes have been horrible. I doubt that is a clarification of the Bible.
[/quote]One could say the same about the men who authored the Bible. All of them were sinning humans, that perfectly channeled God to transcribe scripture. So too, the Pope perfectly speaks for God, while failing only in personal moments that do not affect the broader faith.

But if they are infallible, that makes them a God, and there can be no other God.
[/quote]When he speaks on religious matters, he speaks as the voice of God. Similar to a prophet or an Angel of the Lord. So at these times, there is no distinction between him and God, because he conveys what God intends.

When I look at the Catholic Church historically, I see a well organized power-money structure.
[/quote]I don’t disagree. Though I feel the same way about the Levities. But if you start with the premise that the Pope is infallible and speaks for God, it gets hard to knock that down. In essence, the only way to find fault with the Catholic faith is to reject the very premise it’s based on.

A Pope is infallible only when teaching on faith and morals, ex chatheta; from the Seat of Peter. Meaning, he is protected from saying anything that isnt true. It isnt true be cause the Pope says it, its that he couldnt say anything else but the truth.

A Pope is not inpeccible, meaning he can, and does sin. He is a man, after all. I heard that Pope John Paul 2 saw his confessor 1-2 times weekly.
No one would ever equate the Papacy for godhood, and the basis of infallibility is the true and universal revealing of the mystery of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

The basis for Popes; Matthew 16:13-20.

"**When I look at the Catholic Church historically, I see a well organized power-money structure. **"
Sometimes, probably.

A Pope is infallible only when teaching on faith and morals, ex chatheta; from the Seat of Peter. Meaning, he is protected from saying anything that isnt true. It isnt true be cause the Pope says it, its that he couldnt say anything else but the truth.
A Pope is not inpeccible, meaning he can, and does sin. He is a man, after all. I heard that Pope John Paul 2 saw his confessor 1-2 times weekly.
No one would ever equate the Papacy for godhood, and the basis of infallibility is the true and universal revealing of the mystery of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
The basis for Popes; Matthew 16:13-20.
"**When I look at the Catholic Church historically, I see a well organized power-money structure. **"
Sometimes, probably.

Sorry, Edog, but Jesus fulfills the gospel, not the Catholic (or any other) Church. As to the contradictions, I firmly believe that praying to saints and confessing to a priest are contrary to John 14:6.

UUUHHHH EDOG, I do not proselytize but I know the Catholic church history and the Christ Handing the Keys to Peter is nowhere written. All He Told Peter is that On Peter’s statement of faith He would build His Church. Peter was a married man, so how does that square with celebacy? [remember Jesus healed Peter’s mother-in-law of a fever so she could wait on them]

I meant that the Catholic Church is the church that Christ Himself founded. Thanks for the check.

A priest is a man that makes a covenant to be in persona Christi, in the person of Christ, 24/7 as we are all called to be Jesus to the rest of the world.
Confessing to a priest is confessing to Jesus, the priest is also charged with determing if the confession is valid or not. Someone who confesses and isnt sorry really cant be forgiven. This isnt a club used by the church to threaten people, but to help keep people from deluding themselves and draw out things they may not have remembered to confess. My own confessor is great at helping me remember things I meant to say or explain why certain things are wrong.

There are married priests in the Catholic church, but they are required to be celibate as single men are concerned with the things of the Lord and the married man is concerned with both the Lord and his wife. His interests are divided. The priest is in persona Christi 24/7. (1 Cor 7:34)

Christ hands Peter the Keys: Matt 16:19

Not all Catholic priests are celibate, btw.

Why the middleman, Edog? God is infinitely better at determining the sincerity of repentance than any man can be.