Prescreening Townhall questions

The every-four-years ritual of a national “town hall” style debate began as a nerve-racking experiment in live television. Moderator Carole Simpson was so nervous about turning over the microphone to regular folks and their questions that she spent days mapping out the presidential candidates and their issues on “a zillion 3-by-5 cards,” in case she had to take over the questioning herself.

Snip:

Town halls have lost some of their spontaneity. The 80 or so undecided voters chosen for Tuesday’s event must submit their questions in advance and moderator Candy Crowley of CNN will decide which people to call on. She can pose her own follow-up questions.

In 1992, questions weren’t screened beforehand. Simpson walked through the audience Oprah-style and a producer signaled which person to talk to next, seeking a good demographic mix. She had no idea what each person might ask.

“They were not the questions the media had been focusing on,” said Simpson, who now teaches journalism at Emerson College in Boston. “They were asking about bread-and-butter issues that they were interested in - the education in their schools, the crime in their neighborhoods, the economy and jobs.”

News from The Associated Press

Basically more of the same of making a Townhall a sham. You can be guaranteed the candidates will know the questions asked before hand and that Obama will put ringers in the audience to try to trip up Rommey.

“Townhall,” then, is just a nice-sounding name. No more “town hall” than the president’s state of the union address.

sam, are you implying that Candy Crowley might be biased? I’m shocked! Shocked! Just because she labelled the Romney-Ryan ticket a suicide ticket …

[quote=“Susanna, post:2, topic:36582”]
“Townhall,” then, is just a nice-sounding name. No more “town hall” than the president’s state of the union address.
[/quote]Sounds all comfy cozy, huh. Everyone’s talking like Obozo has some inside track, in a town hall setting. If he gets “softballed”, Romney needs to de-glove and start swinging. I doubt he will, but he will need to in order to show America he will hold feet to the fire.
On a positive note, “preparedness” is a Mormon tenet. They prepare for every eventuality. I expect Romney to come “loaded for bear”, but I am unsure if he will “pull the trigger.”

Like Pete said…

"CNN’s Candy Crowley Claims Some GOPers Think Ryan Pick ‘Some Sort of Ticket Death Wish’
As NewsBusters has been noting all Saturday morning, now that Paul Ryan has been chosen as Mitt Romney’s running mate, the goal of the Obama-loving media is to rip him to shreds.

Doing her part Saturday was CNN’s Candy Crowley who claimed some Republicans (unnamed, of course) think this “looks a little bit like some sort of ticket death wish.”

Read more: CNN’s Candy Crowley Claims Some GOPers Think Ryan Pick

Her more prominent liberal leanings documented here:
CNN’s Moderator Candy Crowley: A Political News Pro, But Still Liberal in the Media-Elite Mold | NewsBusters.org

Candy Crow is a DNC SHILL and I will BET $$$$$$$$$$ that 'bammy boy gets an inside track on the questions, wish I could see the 3x5 question cards each will get, bet the ones that got to bamy are fleshed out with race, leaning and lots of data that Romney will not get…the dice are loaded, the wheel has a brake and the cards are marked all in bammy’s favor. Bet money the room is even tilted to the left!

[quote=“17Oaks, post:6, topic:36582”]
Candy Crow is a DNC SHILL and I will BET $$$$$$$$$$ that 'bammy boy gets an inside track on the questions, wish I could see the 3x5 question cards each will get, bet the ones that got to bamy are fleshed out with race, leaning and lots of data that Romney will not get…the dice are loaded, the wheel has a brake and the cards are marked all in bammy’s favor. Bet money the room is even tilted to the left!
[/quote]That is the only way Obama can sound smart if someone feeds him the answers for writes the speech he reads otherwise it is back to ho hum ah oh oh

And I will say we will hear a lot of its _______ (fill in the blank) fault not mine from Obama

Townhall…? Prescreened questions is no “townhall” debate or meeting. Another reason why the media needs to stay out of elections and let the people decide for themselves. It is so hard to find some to discuss politics with that aren’t just using talking points they heard on the nightly news.