President Obama forcing the Middle Class to put Section 8 Housing in neighborhoods

And even this can be very arbitrary.

Problem is, Jazz, so many are that it’s next to impossible NOT to see.
I don’t want to go back on everything I just got through saying about the possible plusses, but it would be just as unfair of me not to tell the whole story.
The woman I knew got in, and out, asap. That’s what Section 8 housing should be; a temporary leg-up for those in a scrape. They should also be as strictly run as the apartment she was in.
Why did she get out so fast? Number one, she had young children, and while straight, not stupid. The amount of drug dealing - that she reported to HUD - was stunning. (HUD near ASKED her to stay.)
Another thing I don’t know, that while looking in perfect condition on the outside, how much damage incurred on the inside, and no idea how much tax payers are laying out for this place.
STILL, it worked for her, and another elderly couple that I know of who lived there. Maybe many more, I don’t know.
Thing is, though, the place isn’t in tatters and trashed like so many Section 8 housing is.
Maybe because it’s in a small town? Maybe because the smaller size makes it possible for the ‘rule makers’ to keep the tenants in line?
I really don’t know. There’s a trailer park on the other end of town that doesn’t look half as nice on the outside, so go figure.
Another factoid I must add; not to bum you out, simply a reality.
A landlord I personally know has a 4-plex in town just south of ours. We had a few rentals ourselves. First thing he recommended was, "Go Section 8! That way you’re assured of the rent every month!"
We also heard about the countless hours he spent renovating after the destruction they caused.

All that aside, you still don’t put Section 8 housing in the middle of a suburb.

Spoken like someone who has never been near a housing project. I pray fervently that one is built next to you so you can enjoy an extra 30 percent dip in home value and added panoply of drug abusers, prostitutes, and gang bangers that will add to the flavor of your neighborhood.

Limousine liberals should be forced to live next to section 8 housing.

I’m nastier than you candy. LimoLibs should be the live-in on-site managers of Section 8 housing complexes.

Good point. I was being far too nice to the limousine liberals.

Living near SF, Santa Cruz and Berserkeley I have ample opportunity to observe the species Liberalis Limousinus; living near East Palo Alto and Oakland, I have sadly ample opportunity to observe the excrescence of their labor.

Nice. Well said. I would call it “the excrement of their labor” personally.

[quote=“PeteS_in_CA, post:27, topic:32149”]
Living near SF, Santa Cruz and Berserkeley I have ample opportunity to observe the species Liberalis Limousinus; living near East Palo Alto and Oakland, I have sadly ample opportunity to observe the excrescence of their labor.
[/quote]Not to side track anything but last night I was reading about Jane Russel an actress and she pointed out that back years ago Hollywood was mainly composed of Republicans unlike what we see today.

Yeah, years ago, we had entertainers with brains. There are still a few around, but I believe most of them are elderly, so the breed is dying out. Modern entertainers are inclined to think, “Yeah, I played such and such a part in a movie, therefore, I am an expert on it.”

Houses in my old neighborhood in Flahriduh, where our house was purchased in 2004 for 120k-ish, are now selling in the 70k range due to the influx of Sec8 houses, foreclosures, and short sales. We were lucky and sold ours for what we paid.

I live near a couple housing projects and I will have to say your statement is accurate. Housing Projects do nothing to solve the basic issues as to why we need section 8 housing. It concentrates the problems in an area which puts surrounding neighborhoods in danger. As an urban planning major I’ll say these giant projects often fail.

As an urban planning major, what would be your solution to needed housing for the lower income? I have been in architecture since the early sixties. I have seen urban housing models come and urban models go. The school teaches an ideal society, witness the unisonian Wrightian models or the Fuller model often taught but never expounded on. Not one class I ever attended expounded on the psychology of lower level living.

I live near a couple housing projects and I will have to say your statement is accurate. Housing Projects do nothing to solve the basic issues as to why we need section 8 housing. It concentrates the problems in an area which puts surrounding neighborhoods in danger. As an urban planning major I’ll say these giant projects often fail.

Aren’t we as a society a bit schizophrenic/MPD on government housing projects? On one hand, they are pointed to as necessary, almost salvific, for people in poverty. OTOH, and in different contexts, “The Projects” is a metaphor for “Hell Holes”. Is there such an animal as a government housing project of this sort that isn’t a failure or worse?

Not really, Pete. There are some models around , that under strict controls --FOR A TIME-- may be idealic, but because of the psychology of the lower strata of society [ I hate saying this but it is borne out] the rules for living are more open based on the survival instinct, the “turf” mentality and the studies of the “king of the hill” attitudes.
I truly wish there were better answers to housing the lower strata, but with the sociology pattern seemingly preset, there are none.

One answer MIGHT be, although I’ve no idea if it’d work in a high-density metropolis, is to keep each apartment complex small so that it’s managable. Like I said, the one we have in town is 8-10, 2 or 3 br, apts. on one level. The surrounding grass is as green as the day the complex was built, the sidewalks and parking lot swept clean, and the exterior of the vinyl-sided building in very good, if not excellent, repair.
Thing is, I’ve been inside 2 of those apts. They’re slobs. Oh, the paint, appliances, drapery, etc. seem to be in good enough repair. But the general housekeeping left a lot to be desired.
Point being, I don’t think it’s the residents who are keeping this place in such good shape so much as the high liklihood of it being a very strict manager w/a managable-sized apt.
I take it you, et.al., live in more densely populated areas than I. Do you think that sort of planning would work in your areas? I guess the first question would be is if there are enough managers with a spine to go around. Still, I think one manager could do a better job handling 2 smaller complexes, as opposed to 1 larger one.
What do you think?
Oh! Before I forget, IIRC, there is a time limit to how long a ‘qualified’ resident may stay. Maybe that’s the key.