Principal nixes honors night - too 'devastating' for those not honored

Some things just perplex me.
How will we teach our children to strive to be their best if we dumb things down as to not offend someone.
The article states a separate event was combined with a main event. This seems like it is counter to the idea the principle states.

» Principal nixes honors night – too ‘devastating’ for those not honored » News – GOPUSA

IPSWICH – John Gillis has two students at the middle school who have worked hard to make the honor roll this year, but they won’t be able to attend the school’s annual honors night to celebrate their achievement.

That’s because the school administration has decided to end the long-standing tradition in favor of recognizing students during an assembly attended by all students. During the assembly, students will be given awards for academics, sports, arts and everything in between.

The real world rewards excellence, not mediocrity. Who wants a neurosurgeon who is just OK?! I was glad to know that mine had been at Bethesda and had at least one President as a patient! Who wants a pretty good cardiologist? Who wants a so-so mechanic? Electrician? Lawyer? CPA? If this school doesn’t rward excellence, how will students rcognize what they are good at, on what things to work, and for what paths in life they are best suited? This is really educational malpractice cloaked in feel-goodism.

This is nothing new, really. Public schools (and some private) have done away with any kind of recognitions of achievement. In some Catholic schools, teachers are required to find some kind of certificate to give to each student so that no one feels left out. As Pete said, the real world doesn’t reward mediocrity, but excellence. This false sense of achievement gives rise to the idea that everyone is equal–and that is one of the biggest lies perpetrated on society ever.

Agreed, Pete. It also undercuts the American values of aspiration and assimilation. Schools don’t publicly honor the excellence of individuals to breed resentment, but to build pride and, ultimately, comraderie.

A not particularly brilliant or deep observation … I sometimes wonder whether the aural disasters that are a staple of the beginning of American Idol - people who really think they sing wonderfully, but are awful - are due to friends and family being unable to be honest and tell them, “Dude(ette)! You sound horrible!”