Pro-Gun Billboard Featuring Native Americans Draws Lib Outrage

A pro-gun billboard that features images of Native Americans is drawing both contempt and support in Colorado.*
“Turn in your arms. The government will take care of you,” the sign says.
While the sarcasm is evident, the group behind the message is not.
Lamar Advertising, the company that owns the billboard, told CNN affiliate KUSA that the group who paid for the message wants to remain anonymous.
Regardless, the billboard has outraged some residents in Greeley, about 50 miles north of Denver.

Pro-Gun Billboard Featuring Native Americans Draws Lib Outrage | The Gateway Pundit*
History should teach us the consequences of actions. Those that bury their heads in the sand act surprised when events unfold that they were warned about.*

Waaaa! It’s not fair!

With at least one facility of a Silicon Valley company located there, Greeley probably has some California expats. And both Colorado State and U Colorado are fairly close.

I heard mention that some Native Americans were upset by it. I don’t know why, it’s the truth. :cowboy:

Many people can’t handle the truth. In the case of the Native Americans, they probably wanted permission rights and/or a piece of the action.

Why the heck would Native Americans be offended? They ought to be giving it a standing ovation.

[quote=“2cent, post:5, topic:39274”]
Why the heck would Native Americans be offended? They ought to be giving it a standing ovation.
[/quote]Native Americans are human and as such there will be those who will be offended and others who want a quick buck.

Funny there are those po-poing what I said but just look right here on this site. The topic of gays is a prime example of where gays wanted certain rights and now they have expanded what they want. Heck I get on the site and the first few threads are gay related most days.

They are all started by you dude…

It’s a historical image being used with no context. The story behind it has extreme tragedy behind it and it’s in poor taste to use it. Wounded knee shouldn’t be used for an agenda. It’s also ironic being as Native Americans weren’t considered Americans and had no rights.

It’s very much in context.The government told the Indians - excuse me, Native Americans - that they would take care of them. They got screwed over.The government is telling gun advocates that the gov’t will take care of them."Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."If people are taking offense at being told not to trust the government after countless historical evidences that the gov’t is NOT to be trusted, they need to have their heads - or particularly thin skin - examined.

[quote=“2cent, post:10, topic:39274”]
It’s very much in context.
****The government told the Indians - excuse me, Native Americans - that they would take care of them. They got screwed over.
The government is telling gun advocates that the gov’t will take care of them.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
If people are taking offense at being told not to trust the governmet after countless historical evidences that the gov’t is NOT to be trusted, they need to have their heads - or particularly thin skin - examined.
[/quote] Actually I’m not sure what message I’m supposed to receive from this billboard. It implies that “the government” took guns away from the Native Americans and then treated them badly. (“The government” is apparently a timeless entity that exists, unchanged, with the same goals and methods today, as it did 150 years ago.) The government referred to in the ad consisted of white Europeans who saw “Injuns” as soulless, murderous animals to be pushed aside and murdered, when convenient. The natives had built a comfortable, natural society that had no need for firearms prior to the arrival of the invaders. So they had no guns to take, until white profiteers saw a chance to make a buck, by arming them and encouraging them to make a courageous, if suicidal, stand against the overwhelming military force of the invading Europeans. The irony is the fact is that the men in this picture are holding weapons sold to them illegally by people who’s only interest was profit. And those weapons were most often used to kill innocent settlers. The dominate white culture at the time would probably be dumbfounded by the notion that modern “patriots” would suggest that their actions were somehow unconstitutional. It wasn’t just “the government” that wanted to keep guns away from the tribes. So what is the message of this billboard? Is it, “We favor arming insurgents,even if they only want to kill you!” Or is it, “GUNS! Because what fun is history, without some pointless slaughter?”

[quote=“OldStyleBlues, post:11, topic:39274”]
Actually I’m not sure what message I’m supposed to receive from this billboard. It implies that “the government” took guns away from the Native Americans and then treated them badly.
[/quote]No, it doesn’t.

If my (“The government” is apparently a timeless entity that exists, unchanged, with the same goals and methods today, as it did 150 years ago.) The government referred to in the ad consisted of white Europeans who saw “Injuns” as soulless, murderous animals to be pushed aside and murdered, when convenient. The natives had built a comfortable, natural society that had no need for firearms prior to the arrival of the invaders. So they had no guns to take, until white profiteers saw a chance to make a buck, by arming them and encouraging them to make a courageous, if suicidal, stand against the overwhelming military force of the invading Europeans. The irony is the fact is that the men in this picture are holding weapons sold to them illegally by people who’s only interest was profit. And those weapons were most often used to kill innocent settlers. The dominate white culture at the time would probably be dumbfounded by the notion that modern “patriots” would suggest that their actions were somehow unconstitutional. It wasn’t just “the government” that wanted to keep guns away from the tribes. So what is the message of this billboard? Is it, “We favor arming insurgents,even if they only want to kill you!” Or is it, "GUNS! Because what fun is history, without some pointless slaughter?"
You’re either trying to act naive, or are so bereft of the facts that it’s pitiful.I’m not going to repeat my post. It was straighforward.What part of, “The government is not to be trusted,” don’t you get?

[quote=“2cent, post:12, topic:39274”]
No, it doesn’t. You’re either trying to act naive, or are so bereft of the facts that it’s pitiful.I’m not going to repeat my post. It was straighforward.What part of, “The government is not to be trusted,” don’t you get?
[/quote] There is zero correlation between the people in the image and American Gun advocates. The usage of this image is pure exploitation.

Uh, yeah, it does. “Turn in your arms,” is on the dang billboard.

[quote=“OldStyleBlues, post:13, topic:39274”]
There is zero correlation between the people in the image and American Gun advocates. The usage of this image is pure exploitation.
[/quote] Yup, there’s zero correlation between the Indians who trusted the government to take care of them and anti-gun zealots who trust the government to take care of them.Zero, zip, ziltch, nada.Are you DAFT?Or just trying to play one on a bulletin board?

[quote=“Trekky0623, post:14, topic:39274”]
Uh, yeah, it does. “Turn in your arms,” is on the dang billboard.
[/quote]God bless, not you, too! HOW could the point of the message of that bulletin board go flying over ANYbody’s head?!The message is, “DON’T TRUST THE GOERNERMENT!” "The Indians did, and look what happened to THEM!"Cripes, how much MORE plain does the message have to BE for people to digest the message?God save us all, 'cuz the schools sure won’t.And DEFINATELY, not the government.

[quote=“2cent, post:15, topic:39274”]
Yup, there’s zero correlation between the Indians who trusted the government to take care of them and anti-gun zealots who trust the government to take care of them.Zero, zip, ziltch, nada.Are you DAFT?Or just trying to play one on a bulletin board?
[/quote] The native’s didn’t “trust the government to take care of them” They had no choice in their plight. The Natives were considered sub-human enemies of the state who were being methodically exterminated by various means so you can’t compare within proper historical context the disarming of “savages” who had no rights in the first place to the gun issues of today.

[quote=“2cent, post:16, topic:39274”]
God bless, not you, too! HOW could the point of the message of that bulletin board go flying over ANYbody’s head?!The message is, “DON’T TRUST THE GOERNERMENT!” "The Indians did, and look what happened to THEM!"Cripes, how much MORE plain does the message have to BE for people to digest the message?God save us all, 'cuz the schools sure won’t.And DEFINATELY, not the government.
[/quote] No they didn’t! And what was done to them is a much much broader story than just taking their Winchesters that were sold to them illegally anyway!

God bless us, everyone. I give up. I’m not patient enough anymore to help people through re-written history.

The pro-gun folks seem to have missed the point that the tribes did not give up their guns, but got slaughtered anyway.