Probably need a new furnace. HELP???

Okay, here’s what’s been going on. The heat pump kicks on, but the blower does not. Ergo, no heat being conducted, and thusly, not coming into the home. However, sometimes it works just fine. When it does not, we shut off the heat at the new thermostat, wait a while, then turn it back on. MOST times that does the trick.
It’s a TRANE and is only 30 years old.
Tomorrow the owner of a heat/air business is coming to check it out.
Any B.S. I should watch out for?
Also, many states - via the fed - are giving out substantial ‘rebates’ for replacing your furnace with ‘energy efficient’ ones. In MO, it practically PAYS you to replace your furnace. Not that I’m so high on that idea, but in AR, they seem to be out in lah-lah land, and never heard of such a thing.
Any tips on THAT particular side of the issue?

I’d sure be grateful. I don’t want to go clinging to straws, but this is about the last thing we need right now. (Like ANYbody needs to hear your furnace needs replacing…ever? :biggrin:)

I took the rebate when my water heater went out, what the hell, got a bit of my taxes back. Make sure you get the model # and any EPA related numbers or words off it before it’s installed. You have to check a list and make sure it’s on there. The checking was fairly painless, but I had to crawl back into the cubby the tank is in twice to get numbers.

Sounds to me like the blower motor or a relay may have taken a crap on you. If that’s the case it may not be to bad unless after 30 years the motor has changed to the point they have to back order parts. Good luck!

I don’t know much about heat pumps, but I do know that when we turn the thermostat up nine degrees in the morning, if the filter is dirty, the furnace will sometimes stop before the temp comes all the way up. Usually, we discover it sometime later (wondering why we’re so cold), and if we bumped the thermostat down below whatever temp it is (to where the thermostat clicks off) then bump it back up, it came back on. But changing the filter did the trick.

Sounds like the blower fan relay is bad. Just replaced mine, last Summer. The relay is a switch that tells the blower when to come on. Not a bad fix. The part for me was 45 bucks and 85 for labor, since it was on a Saturday.

Thanks, folks.

T. Perkins, will do.

Fantacy Chaser, I replace the filter once a month.

Tiny - Sorry, I didn’t make it clear that the relay switch was replaced when the new thermostat went in a month or so ago.
Also forgot to add that that repairman tried to replace the motor. Incompatable. Told us that no matter who we call in the future, not to fall for replacement parts for the heat/air unit. We’d spend more in the long run.

'Preciate the input folks. Thanks again.

I hate service people who want to replace everything. I thought of upgrading my furnace but the difference I would get in efficiency would not even begin to pay for the expense of installing the new furnace.

A while back I had to replace a sensor on the furnace that would not allow the furnace to run. I replaced the main valve and the thermocouple as well as had it cleaned.

2cent, if possible, I suggest you get a second opinion.

I will if it’s possible, Suz.
This is getting more fun by the minute. First the cust. serv. rep. at Entergy asks where I came up w/any idea of a rebate plan.
Uhh…YOUR website, ma’am.
Then she tells me that I have to choose a business that’s affiliated w/the program (she didn’t know about) that’s listed on the website (she didn’t know about.) Problem is the linky comes up blank. So, acting like I’m asking her to give up her firstborn to give me a few names over the phone, she proceeds to give me names of businesses a good 250 miles away from where I live. (Although asking where I lived was the first question out of her mouth.) Obviously, she finally gave me a local company.

A NEW rep called me this a.m., THIS time directing me to the specific area of their website that’ll answer ALL of my questions. Need I tell you that, no, it did not?
Long story, short - I’m being lead into a circle jerk by the very company that’s supposedly promoting the plan.
Website says you have to have an Entergy associate do a ‘walk-thu’ first - here’s the number.
You call the number. Nice lady at the other end of the line says, “No, you have to have the furnace guy some give you an estimate first.”

ACK!!!
I’m this [] close to calling Rep. Boozman and telling HIM to straighten it out. I’m sure he’d be pleased to learn that Entergy is claiming ALL credit for this rebate program.
Well, aren’t YOU pleased to learn that YOUR tax dollars aren’t funding it?

2cent

Replacing a 30 year old heat pump WILL save you money (the heat pumps are far more efficient now even the ones NOT listed as high efficient), if you can afford to replace the equipment. Rebates are usually for the high efficiency units though.

Here are a couple websites that may help;

ENERGY STAR

EDIT: Federal Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency : ENERGY STAR

and
A website with professionals in HVAC that can help answer questions. They won’t help you do it yourself (no DYI), but will give suggestions on what to ask the contractor or guide you on selecting equipment.

Residential HVAC - HVAC-Talk: Heating, Air & Refrigeration Discussion

Thanks so much, Bucks!
Read this after Mr. Gadget guy left, AND will check the sites you posted a.s.a.p., but for the time being, we’re going to just replace the blower motor, and another little thingie in the heat pump. $500 bucks or so, and we’re done.

OH! I don’t know what made me say 30-year-old. It’s only 23-years-old.
Regardless, same logic applies to replace with updated, and do agree. Just don’t happen to have an extra $6500 hanging around at the moment.

It was that Federal tax credit I used, not a State one. Thanks buck and sorry 2cent if I misled you any.

Is that $6,500 for another heat pump system? Because when we replaced our furnace four or five years ago, it was like $3,500.

If the same unit includes A/C coils that are in the house, then they may have to be replaced outside of the house too. Our federal government imposed a change in refridgerants that require full A/C systems to be replaced. The systems are incompatiable. As a result,this last summer, my A/C unit replacement was approx. $3500.

Trane makes really good equipment, but at 23 years old, you should start making plans to replace it pretty soon. Repair parts are going to be an issue, if they aren’t already, thanks in part to the government mandates for 13 min. seer ratings and 410a coolant… We replace a lot of units only 10 yrs old because repair parts just aren’t available.

Not sure how much longer the tax credits for the higher efficiency (15 seer and up, iirc) systems will last, but if you do replace your system with one that qualifies, the installation contractor and/or supplier should help take care of filing the paperwork or at least filling it out (at least the ones around here do).

Thanks for reminding of a potential tax credit for my A/C system replacement. The coil unit under my furnace and the outside coil had to be replaced due to a system leak 13 years after installation and the new refridgerant requirement. I wonder how much of the $3500 I will get credited?

[quote=“Susanna, post:7, topic:28725”]
2cent, if possible, I suggest you get a second opinion.
[/quote]That is a good idea

[quote=“Conservative_Libertarian, post:15, topic:28725”]
Thanks for reminding of a potential tax credit for my A/C system replacement. The coil unit under my furnace and the outside coil had to be replaced due to a system leak 13 years after installation and the new refrigerant requirement. I wonder how much of the $3500 I will get credited?
[/quote]It would still be wise to get more than one estimate because I have a feeling some of these places figure since you can apply for the credit they can jack up their price.

[quote=“2cent, post:8, topic:28725”]
I will if it’s possible, Suz.
This is getting more fun by the minute. First the cust. serv. rep. at Entergy asks where I came up w/any idea of a rebate plan.
Uhh…YOUR website, ma’am.
Then she tells me that I have to choose a business that’s affiliated w/the program (she didn’t know about) that’s listed on the website (she didn’t know about.) Problem is the linky comes up blank. So, acting like I’m asking her to give up her firstborn to give me a few names over the phone, she proceeds to give me names of businesses a good 250 miles away from where I live. (Although asking where I lived was the first question out of her mouth.) Obviously, she finally gave me a local company.

A NEW rep called me this a.m., THIS time directing me to the specific area of their website that’ll answer ALL of my questions. Need I tell you that, no, it did not?
Long story, short - I’m being lead into a circle jerk by the very company that’s supposedly promoting the plan.
Website says you have to have an Entergy associate do a ‘walk-thu’ first - here’s the number.
You call the number. Nice lady at the other end of the line says, “No, you have to have the furnace guy some give you an estimate first.”

ACK!!!
I’m this [] close to calling Rep. Boozman and telling HIM to straighten it out. I’m sure he’d be pleased to learn that Entergy is claiming ALL credit for this rebate program.
Well, aren’t YOU pleased to learn that YOUR tax dollars aren’t funding it?
[/quote]When I bought my central air they claimed I would get a rebate–never saw it.

I talked to the company that installed the unit and they were supposed to look into it since I coud not contact the manufactor directly. Nothing.

Speaking of web sites that have FAQ’s I find some of them so useless that it answers nothing.

It’s always a good idea to get multiple quotes for the repair/replacement. The problem I had was that my breakdown occurred during the hottest part of the summer while I had a contractor remodeling my bathroom. It was over 100 degrees and 95% humidity. The contractor was ready to mud the walls but, was reluctant to do so because of the high humidity. My original heating and A/C guy wouldn’t return my calls and others wouldn’t show up when they said that they would. I found one guy through a relative. He responded, fixed it correctly, was always on time, etc. He wasn’t cheap but, he knew that I was in a tight spot and didn’t gouge me. He is now my heating and A/C guy.

No, you did not. I’m just glad you got your rebate.