Programable Thermostats

Word of advice

Do not buy a programable themstat unless you know how to use it. I had someone buy one who basically never left the home for any length of time and is always calling me to come over and find out why the thermostat changes during the night.

The answer is simple, they fiddle with it and set up programs. The solution would be to go back to a simple thermostat that one turns up and down with a switch for heat and air.

How much more expensive is a programmable thermostat? Mike “automatically” turns the thermostat down at night, and whoever gets up in the morning turns it back up. Why should you need a program for that?

[quote=“Susanna, post:2, topic:32303”]
How much more expensive is a programmable thermostat? Mike “automatically” turns the thermostat down at night, and whoever gets up in the morning turns it back up. Why should you need a program for that?
[/quote]The one in particular cost $70. People like to have thermostats that will go down at night for sleeping or will set the temperature up if they come home at a certain time. The problem is in cases like this they keep fiddling with it so during the night or day the temperature goes down even though I have repeatedly shown them how to set it so it functions as a non programmable thermostat.

I don’t know what mine cost - it came with the new furnace. The new furnace, installed, and vent pipes cleaned, cost $3520.

I bought mine at Orchard for 35 dollars.
It goes to 70 degrees at 6 AM, drops to 62 at 10 AM, goes back to 70 at 6 PM and drops to 62 again at 10 PM.

This is the default program, it works well for us so I have not changed it.

If you are home during the colder schedule and want to keep it warmer you just manually push the up arrow and the temp scrolls up to where you want it, at the next preset time/temp change it just resumes the old settings.

Saved us a lot of money since I installed it 6 years ago.

Well, we’re usually home all day - at least one of us. The last time we were both gone, we never turned it up in the morning, and it was co-o-o-old! when we got home in the afternoon.

Frankly i have NO IDEA how to ‘program’ one of those things and actually live in a house with NO central heat or cooling. two window heat pump units and a fireplace. That’s it. So far has worked for the last five years, here’s hoping we last another year.

My grandparents have one and so do we. None of us use the “program” feature though. We have a certain temp we keep during the summer and winter. My grandparents just adjust it to suit them.