Progressive rock legend Emerson dies

BBC
3/11/16

Keith Emerson, the co-founder and keyboardist of progressive rock group Emerson, Lake and Palmer, has died aged 71, according to his former bandmates.

“We regret to announce that Keith Emerson died last night at his home in Santa Monica, Los Angeles,” read a statement on the band’s Facebook page.

Emerson was considered one of the top keyboard players of the prog rock era.

He died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, Santa Monica police confirmed to the BBC.

It’s been a sad year for the pop and rock music world.

[quote=“PeteS_in_CA, post:1, topic:48436”]
BBC
3/11/16

It’s been a sad year for the pop and rock music world.
[/quote]I was going to say that he was a “Lucky Man” but this isn’t the time for a pun.

All kidding aside my friend and I were having lunch and commenting on the number of rock deaths:

[LIST=1]
[]David Bowie;
[
]Glen Frye; and
[]The principal of Earth, Wind & Fire whose name escapes me; and now
[
]Keith Emerson
[/LIST]
The discussion ran on how the harsh life style of the 60’s and 70’s probably shortened their lives. Even my favorite, Gordon Lightfoot, narrowly escaped death at 65 when a stomach aneurysm burst. He spent a lengthy interval in an induced coma. Drugs and alcohol didn’t help any of them.

“Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends…”

R.I.P., Keith Emerson. :frowning:

Awwww… :frowning:

ELP was one of several music groups and musicians who were influential in the rockier corner of my musical tastes - Iron Butterfly, Steppenwolf, and Frijid Pink in the 60s, Phil Keaggy, Paul Clark, Return to Forever, Jean Luc Ponty, Petra, and Resurrection Band (aka Rez Band) in the 70s, Dream Theater in the 00s.

[quote=“PeteS_in_CA, post:6, topic:48436”]
ELP was one of several music groups and musicians who were influential in the rockier corner of my musical tastes - Iron Butterfly, Steppenwolf, and Frijid Pink in the 60s, Phil Keaggy, Paul Clark, Return to Forever, Jean Luc Ponty, Petra, and Resurrection Band (aka Rez Band) in the 70s, Dream Theater in the 00s.
[/quote]ELP brought me to become a classical music lover, through their great rendition of “Pictures at an Exhibition.” My Dad of blessed memory made the bridge over to the “real” version, the Mussorsky-Ravel orchestration. Ironically I now like the original piano version more. I had great difficulty obtaining that version.

[quote=“PeteS_in_CA, post:6, topic:48436”]
[/quote]You’re a DT fan? Cool!

I think I heard parts of the piano version on radio in the '80s. I have a CD of the full orchestral version that I like.

[quote=“Fantasy_Chaser, post:9, topic:48436”]
I think I heard parts of the piano version on radio in the '80s. I have a CD of the full orchestral version that I like.
[/quote]PM me your e-mail address and I’ll send you the piano version.

I never thought he would have been into progressive metal.

[quote=“John_Blutarski, post:11, topic:48436”]
I never thought he would have been into progressive metal.
[/quote]Probably not the typical DT demographic. They gonna be in my area soon. Hoping I can make it to see 'em. Got to see them last year. They didn’t used to even come to my state at all, I had to drive to Pete’s neck of the woods to see them a few years back (multi-purpose trip), before we got to know Pete.

I always liked ELP. Ever since I heard “Lucky Man” I was hooked. I always liked Steppenwolf. I met John Kay at a party once in Chicago back in the 60’s. He was wasted. I read where he committed suicide but didn’t say why.

John Kay is still alive.
Biography

I just started listening to them in that last couple of years. I bought their most recent CD. I used to not care much for metal but progressive metal seems to catch my interest. I can’t stand the death metal grunting.

Yeah, it’s one of my favorite genres. I like lots of metal though. You might take a look at Symphony X, Spock’s Beard, Neal Morse, Transatlantic, Big Elf, Hourglass, Scale the Summit, Liquid Tension Experiment, Between Buried and Me (death metal vocals in this one), Winery Dogs, Flying Colors. A lot of these have some kind of tie to DT – not necessarily proggy or metal for those where there’s a DT connection. (Buried and Hourglass don’t have DT tie, for example, but are quite proggy.) I also love Americana, alt-country and roots rock, if those aren’t quite interchangeable terms – and 1960s rock ‘n’ roll.

Most recent? “The Astonishing”? Just out in January and very good. The last few have been really good. I think “Black Clouds” is a good recent highlight, but check out “Scenes From a Memory,” “Images and Words” and “Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.”

DT is still the king of prog metal though! Been a fan since I heard “Pull me Under” on the radio back around '91 or '90, whenever it came out. Never got to see them till 2008.

I don’t like country at all. I do appreciate their new women singers that have good, powerful, and clear voices.

I have checked out some of the bands that you mentioned via youtube and I like some of them. I was always into prog rock but there isn’t much new there. Most of the new prog is metal. I came across Ayreon and like that too. I also like the symphonic metal where it seems like they take a female opera singer and put her in front of a metal band that is heavy on the symphony type of sound.

I’d really rather not; partly because even audio files (especially of that length) take forever to download on dial-up.

Gad zooks! Very bad/disjointed grammatical paragraph I wrote up there. I was referring to Emerson committing suicide.

[quote=“Fantasy_Chaser, post:18, topic:48436”]
I’d really rather not; partly because even audio files (especially of that length) take forever to download on dial-up.
[/quote]The CD is worth buying.