Pyrex-BEWARE

Got any** new** Pyrex dishes in your cooking utensils? This is a must
read.

I Checked at Wall Mart and all the warnings are there.

About 5:30 PM there was a loud bang from the oven. Sylvia opened the
oven door and the Pyrex dish had shattered into a million pieces.
The roast beef (our first in many months) was peppered with small
shards of very sharp glass. Normally,I am quick to inform Sylvia she
did something stupid. However,this time she was nowhere near the
stove when it blew. I shoveled the glass and the now mashed potatoes
into a bucket with two putty knives. I then sucked the remains with
the shop vac. I let everything cool down and then scrubbed the oven
with Simple Green and some hot soapy water. It took over an hour to
clean up the goo. Upon completion I ran the oven empty to see if the
temperature controller was working okay. I suspected the oven got
too hot and the dish simply blew. This was not the case however.
The oven came up to temperature and cycled normally. We threw a
disgusting frozen pizza in the oven and it cooked okay.

What is going on?

I Googled exploding Pyrex dishes and got ten million hits.
Exploding Pyrex is very common.

Here is the story: . A long, long time ago in a country we all know and love was a
company named Corning. They made Pryex dishes. The material they
used is called borosilicate glass. This stuff is indestructible.
But like everything else, the Bottom Liners had a great idea: sell
the technology to another company. The*** Chinese*** discovered that using
soda lime glass was almost as good as borosilicate glass and a lot
cheaper. Today, Wal-Mart is the largest distributor of Pryex
products. Corning not only sold the technology to a company called
World Kitchen, they also sold the rights to the original Pyrex logo.
Seamless. The consumer will never know.

Now it seems people are getting hurt using soda lime Pyrex. We
were lucky because the dish broke while the oven was closed and the
damage was limited to the oven cavity. Others have been less
fortunate. Some dishes explode when they are lifted from the heating
rack in the oven with devastating results. Some people are heavily
scarred. World Kitchen is in denial. They say that the dishes are
another brand, not theirs. Contrary to their denials the victims
usually have more than one of these dishes and the Pryex logo is
clearly visible.

If you buy a Pryex dish beware. The label on the front says oven
safe, freezer safe, microwave safe. The instructions on the back
tell another story. You cannot move a soda lime Pyrex dish from the
freezer to the oven and expect it to survive. The fine print goes on
and on about what you are not allowed to do with the Pyrex dish. The
fine print has prevented World Kitchen from being sued because they
have warned the consumer that their Pyrex dishes are junk from the
get go. And they are the same price as the original Corning dishes.
What a bunch of losers we all are for buying this crap.
What to do?
If you own borosilicate Pryex dishes, no fear. They have to be more
than 25 years old to be sure they are indeed Corning dishes. I am
not sure if the old Pryex dishes have anything stamped in them that
indicates they are made by Corning. You may continue to use the soda
lime dishes for holding stuff. Just do not attempt to roast or
microwave with them as the hazard is very clear.

The reason the soda lime dishes let go is that over time they
develop micro-cracks. Once a few micro-cracks are present and once
some liquid finds its way into the cracks you have the bomb
situation. The liquid is like shoving a crowbar in the dish and
pulling it apart. Super heated liquids expand rapidly and it is the
super heated liquids that force the soda lime glass to shatter into
tens of thousands of shards.

Since Corning no longer makes Pyrex and Sylvia proudly holds a
large collection of the soda lime Pyrex, we decided that one bomb in
the kitchen is enough. The Pyrex dishes will go bye-bye in this
week’s trash. I do not know what we will use for cake and pie dishes
going forward . If you have some suggestions we are listening.

I strongly urge you not to use the soda lime Pyrex for the oven,
stovetop or microwave. The slightest invisible crack is all it takes
to have a mess and a possible injury.

As to World Kitchen: them and their cheap dishes. In case
you are wondering: *** World Kitchen*** is*** not*** a USA company.

Scary; I have several pyrex/corning ware dishes - but they are pre-Chinese.

I am surprised that Caroline has fostered this lie about Pyrex–this email has been around the net for years and is totally untrue. I am a very conservative person and hate China as much as anyone, but China has NOTHING to do with Pyrex. All of the technology is American made and Pyrex is made in Pennsylvania as it has always been–and World Kitchen is a UNITED STATES company that in located in Rosemont, Illinois. Caroline appears to be one of those fear mongers that forward any email that come across the net.

I am happy to hear that this is not true. Can you please post a link.

While you are correct that World Kitchen is a US corporation, Snopes has said that many pyrex utensils are made in China. However, the baking dishes in question are not.
Exploding Pyrex is a reality. Pyrex has the fine print on the back that, to me, refutes that it is oven safe, as they recommend no direct heat, such as broilers, etc.
Calling Caroline a liar is and eluding to her as a fear monger is insulting. Not what i consider to be a conservative behavior. If she has concerns, she is justified to bring it to our attention. If she is misinformed, she will find out, without the need for insults.JMHO.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/SusannaHarriff/Smilies/yeahthat.gif

And nice for a first post!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/SusannaHarriff/Smilies/sarcasm.gif

Thanks for the heads up Caroline.

Are Pyrex Bowls Dangerous?

Maybe.

Pyrex bowls were originally made of something called borosilicate glass, which is very resistant to thermal shock.

Currently, Pyrex is made of soda-lime glass, presumably as a cost-cutting measure, as soda-lime glass is very inexpensive. Also, Pyrex is no longer made by the original manufacturer, and is essentially a brand name, rather than a material.

What Now?

The Pyrex website makes no mention of a change in materials, and does not specify what type of glass is used in their products.

They claim: “PYREX glassware products can go directly from refrigerator or freezer to a microwave, convection, or preheated conventional oven.”

Since Pyrex is no longer made of the same special thermal shock resistant glass, **one should take extra care when using it. **

Do not place Pyrex on your stove top. Do not change its temperature rapidly, regardless of what the website says.

Pyrex, in its current incarnation, should be treated more like any other piece of glass.

—MEGHANN MARCO

Pyrex: Why Pyrex Bowls “Explode”

Wow! I am so glad I read this. I have started to collect things for my home like dishes and linens and such so this is VERY helpful. If any other ladies out there have any other things they think I should know about cookware and such PLEASE let me know! =]

Is this for your hope chest, Livia?

Pyrex was around long before the freezer-to-oven materials were developed.

I am a little leary of purchasing new pyrex now. I"ve had it explode on me before. I was lucky but i don’t want it to happen again.

No, a little too old for that lol. Just need to start getting better stuff. Walmart brand only works for a few months before stuff sticks. And as far as the linens go, just wondering what brand are good, which are not, ya know stuff like that.

Well, there’s some truth to what it’s made out of, but the spontaneously exploding part has been debunked.

STATS: Exploding the exploding Pyrex rumor

The main issues of exploding Pyrex comes from people not following the warnings. Glass is still glass and it can crack under extreme temperature differences.

Any glass bakeware product can break if it is not used properly. For that reason, we want to remind consumers to review the PYREX® Safety and Usage Instructions provided with our products. While not a substitute for reviewing the entire Safety and Usage Instructions, set forth below are selected highlights.

PYREX GLASS BAKEWARE SAFETY AND USAGE INSTRUCTIONS:

NEVER use on top of the stove, under a broiler, in a toaster oven, or place over oven vent or pilot light.
AVOID severe hot to cold temperature changes, including:
DO NOT add liquid to hot dish
DO NOT place hot dish or glass cover in sink
DO NOT immerse hot dish in water
DO NOT place hot dish on cold or wet surfaces
Handle hot ovenware and glass covers with dry potholders
ALWAYS add a small amount of liquid to the vessel prior to baking foods that release liquids while cooking.
DO NOT overheat oil or butter in microwave. Use minimum amount of cooking time.
DO NOT use or repair any item that is chipped, cracked or scratched.
CARE INSTRUCTIONS:

To loosen baked-on-food, allow glass to cool, then soak.
If scouring is necessary, use only plastic or nylon cleaning pads with nonabrasive cleansers.

WARNING: Failure to follow these instructions can cause immediate or later breakage which can result in personal injury or property damage.

Exploding Pyrex:

Claim: Pyrex brand glass bakeware is now manufactured from different material and is more susceptible ot breakage:

Mixture:

True: Pyrex, like all brands of glass bakeware, is subject to breakage due to thermal shock.

True: Pyrex blass bakeware was originally made from borosilicate glass and is now made from tempered soda-lime glass.

False: Pyrex switched from using borosilicate glass to tempered soda-lime glass only after Corning sold the brand to World Kitchen in 1998

False: The Consumer Product Safety Commission has determined that Pyrex glass bakeware products are unsafe.

False: World Kitchen, the current owner of the Pyrex brand, is based outside the U.S.

False: All Pyrex glass bakeware products are manufactured in China.

MORE

Just put 2 loaves of banana bread in the oven (metal pans). But in the process of preparing it, I used 3 glass measuring cups. 2 are pyrex, one is “glassbake”. I’ve had the glassbake for nearly 50 years. It has a couple of chips. The older of the 2 pyrex ones has the warning on the bottom “not for lab or stove top use.” FC bought it when he was in the military, in Hawaii. The other does not have any warning that I could see. I bought it about 10 years ago when I went to work in a suburb of Cleveland, and had to live part-time in an apartment in the area.

Not true?
Uhmm whatever. I am not known for my kitchen skills…okay? I have gotten pretty good though. Anyway. I have had two personal experiences with exploding Pyrex (purchased with in the past couple of years.) As well as my friend’s explosion experience. Iwill admit my first one was my fault…it’s not totally unexplained because of the cold air hitting hot glass thing. And, possibly my friend’s explosion was a mistake on her part. Bottom line is with at least one of my experiences with this issue we were all wondering what has happened to Pyrex. Since it’s known to be so impossible to break or explode. I have never heard of or read the email about this whole China thing…I can’t say that it’s not possible. Maybe not to the extent of them trying to blow me up personally but still…makes me think.

Hey, nice to see you back.

Thanks for posting on this. It’s always good to have personal experience with the subject at hand.

Looks like Pyrex changed materials;
Why Pyrex Bowls “Explode” - The Consumerist

We chalked it up to the normal thing today’s companies are doing to save money. Cheap and shoddy manufacturing decisions to save a penny.

I know for a fact that in my second incident there was no sensible reason for my casserole dish to explode as it did. It was chicken cooking in a low temp 350 degrees with plenty of juices and water. There was no extreme heat change. It was the middle of a hot summer. The air in the kitchen was not the least bit cold to cause a crazy thermal conflict between a hot glass dish and cold air. It just wasn’t possible. All I did was pull it out of the oven like normal. Within a split second of taking it off the oven rack it blew up. Now this is a funny running joke about my kitchen skils…but still…this wasn’t funny at all. :angry26: Luckily nobody was hurt. I am so parnoid now I only want metal dishes to use in the oven now.

We stood there scratching our heads at what happened. And, honestly made jokes about the possibility of it being a Chinese conspiracy

We do a dirty santa thingy with our family in december and it’s loads of fun…this year my husband ended up with a huge box of pyrex which of course is not what he wanted…but he thought i might want it and frankly i’m a little leary of the stuff now. My brother’s wife wanted it and effected a trade with him after i convinced him that i didn’t need or want additional.

I wouldn’t want or need additional blow ups either…nope I don’t think I will be buying any more pyrex…or any glass casserole dishes that should be safe in the oven. Especially not from Wallmart