Question about Judas

Why was he vilified considering he allegedly set in motion the events that offered everyone on the planet everlasting salvation? Jesus had die for mans sins regardless, right?

It was not Judas who set events into motion it was the Sanhedrin. He is hated for the same reason Benedict Arnold and Bud Adams are. No one likes a traitor.

1. Yes, Christ came to willingly die for the sins of man and his death had to happen.

2. Yes, all the people who were directly involved in the arrest, trial, beatings and eventual crucifixion were fulfilling explicit prophecy.

That does not mean that those people should be honored. They are vilified because they represent fallen man at his worst, they are the epitome of why the sacrifice of Christ was necessary.

When we choose to remember historical figures we always remember those who did great things with honor and the ones who sided with evil are remembered with disdain.

We all know that the best of us needs a Savior just as much as the worst of us but that does not stop us from revering those who did a much better job at not allowing their sin nature to define them.

Judas represents man at his worst. He had a direct relationship with Jesus himself for several years and chose to betray him anyway.

Salvation is a gift offered to men for the price of just accepting it and submitting to the God who loves man enough to provide a way of reconciliation, yet many scoff at the offer and reject the God that loved them enough to die in their place.

Judas reminds us of every ungrateful moment we have ever known and every time we have sought a short term gain at the expense of our character and what we knew to be true.

**Knowing that Christ had to die for man to be saved is not the same thing as celebrating the reason man needs a Savior. **

Judas represents the awful reality of man, that is not a reality that will generate a positive memory.

Judas did show remorse and threw away the thirty pieces of silver in the temple.

And killed himself.

Man can only endure so much guilt, causing the torture and murder of the only sinless being to dwell on earth since the pre fall Adam would be a lot to live with.

Oh what a tangled web we weave…

Why was he vilified considering he allegedly set in motion the events that offered everyone on the planet everlasting salvation?

By that reasoning, Adolph Hitler should be a national hero in Israel, for having caused EuroLand and the US to support the creation of the nation Israel.

Regarding Judas, that God created something good out of Judas’s evil deed does not make Judas’s deed any less evil (nor make the Sanhedrin’s self-serving murder any less a murder; nor make Pilate’s cowardly shirking of his duty to administer justice any less reprehensible). Taking what Judas did to the personal level, Judas betrayed a friend and mentor (using a fairly apt term that is current secular usage), and valued that friendship and mentorship so little that he did so for a mere month’s wages! Throughout history, people have reserved particular hatred for betrayal: Judas wasn’t the only person Dante consigned to his lowest level of the Inferno; being a traitor in time of war is a capital crime in the US Constitution; the names of Benedict Arnold, Vidkun Quisling and Henri Petain are not exactly metaphors for honor.

If you want to call what Judas did in throwing away the 30 pieces of silver “remorse”, it’s an incomplete characterization. There is remorse that leads to repentance and restoration; Judas’s remorse was that which is born of despair and led him to suicide.

Playing “what-if” is usually fruitless, in proportion to the degree of the hypothetical being unrealistic. That said, I do think it a realistic possibility that Judas could, in his remorse, have repented. What then? Could God have forgiven Judas? Yes, I believe God would have. I also think it very realistic that Jesus would have restored Judas much as he did Peter. Would the Eleven have accepted Judas? I think that also a realistic possibility, assuming his repentance and Jesus’s act of restoration. Remember what Saul of Tarsus was and did prior to encountering Jesus on the Road to Damascus. Saul (Paul) was accepted by the leaders of the Jerusalem church and by the church at large, even without Jesus’s direct intervention.

I’m not saying that would have been a painless road for Judas, but his understanding of God probably didn’t let him see the possibility of repentance, forgiveness and restoration.

It is often speculated that Judas was trying to “force Jesus’ hand” so that he would immediately take the throne. That is a distinct possibility, but not known for certainty. I often compare the difference between Judas after tossing down the money, and Peter after his denial of Christ. Judas went out and hanged himself - but Peter went out and wept bitterly (tears of remorse and repentance). If the above speculation about Judas is true, he may have thought there was nothing left worth living for. Which, of course, doesn’t excuse his behaviour, before or after.

Ignoring any biblical prophecy, Judas betrayed a close friend to authorities whom he knew would and did execute him in a horrendous fashion on bogus charges; that is the very definition of a sumbag…

Judas was already a thief, so I’m not sure his mind in his last months was particularly focused on spiritual things such as prophecy. OTOH, I can’t imagine him being clueless of the corrupt and greedy character of the religious establishment of his day, or of the corrupt, ruthless and arrogant character of Pilate and Roman governance generally.

Yeah, that has always been the problem with me embracing the “He was trying to force Jesus into taking over” theory.

That and the declaration that Satan “entered him”. I think his motives were pretty much void of nobility.

Dear friends; as people from of old have tried to ascertain the motives of Judas, even the greatest of theologians have never clearly devined why Judas did what he did.
Judas was from a region of Kerioth which was a hot bed of religious zealots who were looking for the Messiah. Judas Joined the followers soon rising to the inner 12 in importance. When Jesus sent out the 70 and 50 on missionary journeys [ two separate occasions] Judas as well as the others WAS endued with Power from the Holy Spirit to perform healings and other Spiritual matters.He was the "keeper " of the purse or the treasurer so to speak. there is no surprise here that GOD KNEW who Judas was and what Judas was to do. After all God IS GOD and is All Knowing, This is what Judas was Born to do. Not the Jews, not the Romans, BUT MANKIND, you and me WE were responsible for Jesus death, Judas as well as the Jews and Romans was the tool God used to make Jesus the final and ultimate Sacrifice, the Holy Lamb of God Who died to take away the sins of the world.
We cannot anymore fathom the mind of Judas 2000 years after the fact, any more than we can Fathom the Mind of God.

… This is what Judas was Born to do.

That’s a bit further than I’d go, but I’m not a Calvinist. I’d be about as poor an Arminian, FWIW.

Not the Jews, not the Romans, BUT MANKIND, you and me WE were responsible for Jesus death …

Absolutely, but that’s an even more broad perspective than the one to which I “stepped back” in my post above. Judas was responsible for betraying Jesus; the Sanhedrin, the mob, Pilate, the soldiers each had responsibility for what they did. Ultimately, it was to redeem us from our sins - something we could not do - that God set the whole matter in motion. The amazing thing to contemplate is that, as Andrae’ Crouch sang years ago, “Jesus would have died for me … if I’d been the only boy in town.”

Here is something that has always given me a hard to to ‘wrap my brain around’, so to speak.
I think most here know that I’m no God-hating, Christian-hating blasphemer who seeks the slightest joy in mocking any of the above, so please hear me out before you jump to conclusions?
I never did ‘get’ why God sent His Son. If I were ‘God’, (no blaspheme intended), and saw the world was in dire need of moral rectitude, I’d do it myself; not send my kid. And yes, I have a son, and have thought long and hard on what it would take for me to give him up for the better of others. It would be difficult, but not nearly as hard as trying to live with myself for sending him out to do my task for me.
Yes, I realize this is God we’re talking about and I’m a mere human, but it’s the only analogy I have in my mortal hands.
Also, (please, again, have patience w/me. I’m trying to learn; not mock.)…
How hard could it be to watch your child struggle and suffer if you KNEW it was going to come out alright in the end?
I’ve sent my kid out the door, kicking and screaming having no CLUE how it would turn out in the end. It’d be far easier if I did know.
I hope y’all understand what I’m getting at. It’s obviously a personal struggle, and not one I’ve often shared; especially with practical strangers. I take my relationship with God very personally and maybe TOO privately because I’m at the point where I need answers.
Or maybe just a little more faith.

But Jesus is not God’s “kid” in the way our children are our kids; He is God, part of the Godhead - the only part of God who became human, and kept His human form after the resurrection.

You’ll have to forgive me if that doesn’t come across as no different than Greek or Roman gods.

Really 2cent? I recommend reading the Iliad to see how the Greeks viewed their gods. Very differently, on several levels. Basically, Graeco-Roman gods were like humans - not very nice ones, putting it mildly - who were immortal and had greater-than-human powers. I’m going to have to post now and put off going into the Christian understanding of God.

I’ve read the Gospels, and one thing that stuck with me is that Jesus never seemed too pleased about what was going to happen to him. His idea of a happy ending was obviously much different than Adonai’s.

Christian see in the Bible (“Old Testament” and “New Testament”) that there is one God, yet three distinct persons identified as being God. Further, one of those three persons chose to become a human being - not an adult formed and dissolved at will, as Graeco-Roman gods supposedly did - starting with conception, and going through gestation, birth, childhood and into adulthood. Jesus was fully human, subject to pain and emotions, limited to one place in space and time, and ultimately subject to death. Being human, while neither sinning nor having a sin nature, Jesus, uniquely, could redeem humans who believe in Him and what He did.

In short, Christian belief about Jesus is utterly dissimilar from stories of Graeco-Roman gods who temporarily created adult human forms to visit, experience and punish inhospitable cities or Zeus becoming a bull in order to deceive his wife Hera while having sex with Europa or sibling gods playing favorites against each other, turning the battlefield at Troy into chaos.

I’ve read The Iliad.