Question for Pet owners

Back in the past I had pets but it seems anymore that there is a drive to have all sorts of things that they require. I was with someone who was thinking about vitamins for her pets and I know she also buys the Heartguard and the frontline medication and with three dogs it can be quite expensive.

That does not even include required shots and thoses RID chips.

Does any else require all this stuff? I know yesterday she was upset that the dogs seem uninterested in the chewbones that she bought.

My pets get regular shots, and Frontline - we haven’t had a problem with fleas in a long time, but the dog has got a tick or two the last several years. The Frontline is the most expensive item I spend on them.

Last time I had them to the vet, she said the cat needed to have a tooth pulled, and needed to have her teeth cleaned. She’s already had one pulled, but my previous vet (the father of the current one) just pulled it in the office. I think the current vet doesn’t do a lot of things her father did. She said I’d have to take her to the animal hospital to have the tooth pulled, and to have her teeth cleaned. But her father did stuff like that right in his office. He “fixed” them - and they had to stay overnight. She said that the cat would have to be put to sleep to have her teeth cleaned - which I don’t really doubt! - but I don’t know why she can’t do it. Maybe she doesn’t really want to. I know she needs a tooth pulled, I could see it, it looks really bad.

[quote=“Susanna, post:2, topic:37237”]
My pets get regular shots, and Frontline - we haven’t had a problem with fleas in a long time, but the dog has got a tick or two the last several years. The Frontline is the most expensive item I spend on them.

Last time I had them to the vet, she said the cat needed to have a tooth pulled, and needed to have her teeth cleaned. She’s already had one pulled, but my previous vet (the father of the current one) just pulled it in the office. I think the current vet doesn’t do a lot of things her father did. She said I’d have to take her to the animal hospital to have the tooth pulled, and to have her teeth cleaned. But her father did stuff like that right in his office. He “fixed” them - and they had to stay overnight. She said that the cat would have to be put to sleep to have her teeth cleaned - which I don’t really doubt! - but I don’t know why she can’t do it. Maybe she doesn’t really want to. I know she needs a tooth pulled, I could see it, it looks really bad.
[/quote]I had done a little research on Frontline and alternatives which were less expensive and she even has tried flea collars but she keeps complaining the stuff does not work.

Back when I was young we did not need all this stuff. I will say she is obsessive and compulsive about things. I figure what it costs for these dogs and it is over a grand a year and she really can not afford it. That does not even include shots.

Flea collars don’t work any more, because the only ones that ever did work were the ones with lindane, and, thanks to the enviro-weenies, that has been outlawed. Used to use it to keep all kinds of insects out of the house. Remember the “Hari-kari” things? Anyway, our dog that we had when we first moved here was absolutely loaded with fleas. When we had to have her put down, I asked the vet how to get rid of all the fleas left in the house without calling an exterminator. He recommended a product (an “environmental spray”) which I bought and sprayed around the areas where most of the fleas were. It took a while, but they eventually disappeared. It is a product that prevents the larva from maturing - that’s why it takes a while. We got it in '95. When our current dog was plagued with fleas, we sprayed around, and it seems to still have been effective. And I don’t think you can get it any more - just like everything else that works.

Tried to save a bit of money and switched from Frontline to Sentry. HUGE MISTAKE! The dog started having seizures. Stick with the good stuff!

[quote=“tperkins, post:5, topic:37237”]
Tried to save a bit of money and switched from Frontline to Sentry. HUGE MISTAKE! The dog started having seizures. Stick with the good stuff!
[/quote]Good advice

Fleas and Ticks: Skip the chemicals and go with a natural product such as Garlic. You can buy the capsules or smear some on a sweet potato and give one daily.

Most folks to include man vets have fallen prey to old wives tales and other nonsense on what dogs should eat.

THINK: Dogs were around long before they were pets, they were hunters, they ate almost the entire animal. If you feed you dog a broad diet to include rawhides, bones, I recommend BEEF bones for most dogs with a hunting lineage of any kind from Yorkies up. I like the beef ribs and large femurs. Dogs need a lot of calcium so then need bones. In addition to Beef bones Chicken NECKS are excellent either raw, boiled/baked or fried.

NOTE most bones in chicken when boiled can splinter, the neck bone is an exception. Fried chicken bones are fine as long as they are a well fried.

Rawhide is the skin of an animal and dogs eat it always have, but some caution is in order. DO NOT give it to them as a FEED STOCK, but rather a treat/snack. A small piece about 2x2 in is fine. Again its NOT FEED STOCK!

Avoid, wheat, barley, corn and soy products which are the primary ingredients in many dog foods and almost all dog treats

I own a dog treat/supplement manufacturing company, we do extensive research and work with vets to insure our products are the best and good for dogs. Our products contain zero additives, chemicals, wheat, barely, soy or corn, artificial anything or any chemicals or preservatives.

Take care of your dog, its the BEST friend you will ever have…

I get the sense that 17Oaks definitely knows what he’s talking about here. I know he has mentioned his dog “Buddy” several times on this forum, and while that alone doesn’t make one an authority on the topic, it is revealing anyway.

His statement that “Dogs were around long before they were pets” is very pertinent to the issue.

While I don’t agree with 17Oaks on some things, in this particular arena he is a pro.

The guy is extremely credible on the topic. I’d be inclined to take his advice here.

Thank you very much…my wife and I never had kids and we like to say: “our children have PAWS” and indeed they do, we are dog lovers. We have a good line of dog treats, sweet potatoes, rawhide, bones, ‘dogs with special needs’ [allergies, diabetes, and sensitive digestives systems]. 100% of our products are "dog tested and dog approved’ or we do not sell it. We are very PROUD of our products for the health benefits, taste and that we have the only true natural product line available.

Yep, ole Buddy the Coon hound, he owns the company!!!

Thanks again, We try to be knowledgable about dogs and what they should be eating.

If you have a disagreement on something please let me know, I am always open and few folks on this forum will change their mind faster than I will…engineers think logical and deal with facts, if you can out fact me you win…LOL

Do you have a Web Page? Shoot me a link in a PM if you would please. Maybe ask permission to post it in the Cigar Lounge.

I will send you PM, I many ask to post at some time, but at this time we are near running at capacity to produce product and meet our retail and mail order business. I am just quite hesitant to being hiring up due to what is going on.

While the feds say that 50 employees or less is small business and not affected, I do not buy it. There is a gottcha in there that if you have employees that are part time and AVERAGE 30 hrs per week they are considered FTE and there is some other stuff in there that can affect my business model.

What I am looking into is going piece work and in fact I am building my models now for that if they will let me dodge the Obama bullet(S)!!!