Questions to your view

Hey
I am a student from Germany and I’m interested in your political views.
During the election I have seen both sides and I have also checked the main points of the Republicans and the Democrats and I do not really get your arguments.
First: Why are you against Health Care for everyone? Of course you think everyone should be able to choose and do whatever he/she wants, but here in Germany this system works well and everyone has a basic governmental insurance so that he can go to doctors when he’s sick.
Concerning the government you also mention to lower taxes and reduce the impact of the government. But then again, who should pay for the infrastructure and the roads you drive your trucks on? I just can’t find an answer to this question because as an individual you surely would not pay the construction companies to build the roads.
Second: Why do you think rich people should pay less taxes? In Germany we have the highest tax rates for people with the highest income. I myself come from a family with a relatively high income and we can live the life we want and rich people live a happy life in Germany, not many are complaining because they just know it’s necessary for the national welfare. (of course, everyone is trying to lower his tax rate, but within our tax laws it is legal to do so. this year the state has a record high in tax income but we are still maybe the strongest economy in Europe, so there is no contradiction)
Third: Why are you so angry about latino immigrants. Of course, illegal immigration must be stopped, but the country has always been a country of immigrants. And I also understand that you hate to see illegal immigrants taking away the jobs of the Americans. But there are just no “true” Americans because the ones with the longest history in the US are either Native Americans or also descendants of immigrants from the 17th or 18th century. And by the way, the so called “minorities” are going to be the majority in the years to come and this will have a great impact on the elections. Republicans will have to move away from the right and conservative side and have to be open for changes in the US system because I think these changes are going to come.
From my point of view in Europe the US slowly but steady loses its influence on World Economics and the power is shifting to Asia. Businesses are moving their production to cheap asian countries and thereby these countries become stronger and consume much more.

This is just my view and I am looking forward to some answers to my questions.
Thank you!

Greetings from Germany

1. Health care is none of the Government’s business. People could afford their own if the government didn’t tax us so severely to pay for it for other people - minus their administrative costs, and all the waste that goes with it, and all the other wasteful programs.

2. Rich people are paying the lion’s share of the taxes already. If they are overtaxed, they won’t be able to spend the money required to keep the economy going so that we can all have jobs. Who do you suppose it is that provides the jobs?

3. We aren’t angry about Latino immigrants specifically; we are angry about **illegal **immigrants, many of whom can’t pay there own way, so we have to provide for them (same principle as #1); we are also angry that **legal **immigrants have to jump through all kinds of hoops to get authorizations to live here, while the illegals have to do nothing. The only reason it appears to be “Latino” immigrants that we are against is that they make up the bulk of the illegals. There are also legal Latino immigrants - we have no problem with those - and there are illegal immigrants of every stripe.

Alpha…I’ll answer from my point of view:

1. Health Care…we believe in the FREE market…not the government. We believe you can have unlimited health care, good health care or cheap health care. But not all 3. We believe in personal responsibility for such things except for those who are genuinely unable to provide for themselves. Those who are fat or smoke for example have no right to rob my pocket for their medical bills.
    The US healthcare CAN provide the best care in the world…but there are definite problems with the system…largely caused by government interference. The Republicans have plans for reform that don’t require a government takeover of 16% of our economy.
    Finally…it’s expensive. You may have noticed that we have a 16 trillion dollar debt time bomb where every American’s share of the debt is 35% higher than the Greeks.

2. Who pays for the infrastructure? State and local governments or the users of that infrastructure. (Toll roads). Do you think America had no roads before the 1950’s when the Feds got involved?

3. What do you define as “rich”?? The top earners here DO pay a higher tax rate than middle or poor. 47% pay ZERO income taxes at the bottom. The top 10% of earners here pay 71% of all income taxes collected. Is that fair enough?? What we are fighting for is lower tax RATES for ALL to spur the economy AND generate more actual tax revenue from the boom. The Dems want to RAISE taxes on the top earning brackets many of which are small business owners who file taxes as individuals rather than as corporations. Our corporate tax rate is 36%. Yours is 15%. Can we compete with Germany in the market?? A job killer.

4. We LOVE immigrants. We hate illegal immigrants who suck money and jobs from our economy, pay no taxes, engage in criminal behavior far in excess of their numbers and make those who wish to immigrate LEGALLY stand in line longer. This is not about minorities… it is about illegals. As to who has the right to BE HERE… cut the BS History. We are a 250 year old country and what came before matters not…unless you think the Scandinavians today also have a right to German territory.

As to the changes you forsee… we’ve looked at Europe and we don’t like it much…though about half the country loves the nanny state…We will continue to fight for the values that made the country great…embodied in our founding and founding documents. We may lose over the short term…but the crash is coming as it must for the broken philosophy of liberalism. Then perhaps our values will return as a majority view again.

Yes…Asia/China is becoming stronger… Cheap labor and strong work ethic & lots of smart people. Also lots of corruption, lack of freedom and a toxic environment…with hundreds of millions NOT participating in the gains they see others making. I remember when Japan was going to rule the world economically for the same reasons. What happened? I’d say Germany has more to fear than we do from Asia AND from your fellow Europeans who rely on Angela to fund their un-earned lifestyle.

“Those who are fat or smoke for example have no right to rob my pocket for their medical bills.” That could very well be a quote from Atlas Shrugged :yes: I totally agree with that, we have the same problem here but not in this dimension. People live healthier now but still there are lots of people who smoke and are fat. But many US citizens can’t afford health care because the minimum wage is not high enough (is that correct?) and the costs of living rise and they barely get along with their money. If government imposes a minimum wage for the workers the problem with illegal immigrants could also be solved. Why do you oppose the system of governmental interference when you see it working in many European states (not just Germany)

Yes, the corporate tax is 15%, but this tax is just imposed on corporations. There is a second tax for EVERY company, business, also small shops which they pay to the regional government, not the state. And this second tax (I don’t know if there’s an English translation) makes up a higher amount of money than the corporate tax. (it’s Gewerbesteuer if you want to look it up). And I am totally okay with the high income citizens paying the lion’s share of taxes. What the government does with that money is a totally different question and I also think it could be spent better.

But there’s not just the roads, the big majority of kindergardens, schools, hospitals, etc. is governmental. I have heard that public schools are much worse than expensive private schools and that basically denies low income kids good education. Most universities in Germany are free and if you have to pay for them it’s not 10.000$!

And I totally share your views on the immigrants!

alpha

Here in the USA salaries and benefits take 75% of a school district budget.
Do you know what percentage is in your country ?

Also when talking taxes for companies you need to consider; Federal, State, County, Township, and School taxes. Every level assesses taxes on companies and citizens.

Why do you oppose the system of governmental interference when you see it working in many European states (not just Germany)

:rofl:

Do you not see the financial problems in Europe ???

Do you not see riots in Greece ???

governmental interference is THE PROBLEM.

You did not hear “both sides” in our last election, you heard one side with different nuances.

In 2010 “both sides” were being debated but not in 2012.

The POOR already get health coverage here through Medicaid. The OLD get it through Medicare. Many choose not to buy insurance, instead getting X-boxes and big TV’s etc. …then complain that they can’t afford the costs when they get in an accident or develope a "PRE-EXISTING Condition like diabetes. It’s like demanding you get car insurance AFTER you’ve had the accident.
That said…there are PLENTY of problems since most insurance is through companies people work for…and if you get fired or the company goes under…you don’t have a job or insurance. We also are lawsuit happy and sue doctors and increase medical costs here dramatically. Then also the government rates of pay for medicaid and medicare (and free emergency treatment for illegals) don’t allow doctors & hospitals to make $$… so they charge those who don’t have those benefits more to make up the difference. These are the type of situations we need to address…but not at the cost of the government…sensible reforms can be made and the people in individual states can try out different systems if they like. What we don’t need is ANOTHER one size fits all Federal Gov’t program to run our lives, determine what care we are entitled to and add government inefficiency and red tape to our system.

Yes, the corporate tax is 15%, but this tax is just imposed on corporations. There is a second tax for EVERY company, business, also small shops which they pay to the regional government, not the state. And this second tax (I don’t know if there’s an English translation) makes up a higher amount of money than the corporate tax. (it’s Gewerbesteuer if you want to look it up).
Yah…well we have many other taxes on companies here too…state & city tax on earnings, real estate taxes, property taxes, etc. …this one reason why we are now ranked much further down on global competitiveness compared to both Asia and some Euro countries.

And I am totally okay with the high income citizens paying the lion’s share of taxes. What the government does with that money is a totally different question and I also think it could be spent better.
I’m not…but I’m resigned to it. What is the MORAL justification for taking more of my $$ for government if I use no more of it than you do and you pay ZERO?? What is the limit? How about what France is doing? How do you think that will work out??
We had NO income tax till 1916 in this country. Still, somehow we managed. As to spending…we need far less of it…and much federal power and $$ returned to the states which are capable of serving their citizens needs less monolithic-ally.

But there’s not just the roads, the big majority of kindergardens, schools, hospitals, etc. is governmental. I have heard that public schools are much worse than expensive private schools and that basically denies low income kids good education. Most universities in Germany are free and if you have to pay for them it’s not 10.000$!

Public Schools can be VERY VERY good in the USA…or little more than prison wards. The worst are in the cities and the victims are the poor whites and minorities. What you may not be aware of is that the USA spends more $$ per pupil than anywhere in Europe. Out results are NOT from a lack of spending.
Most Republicans see the school problems as both societal (single parent poor kids etc.) and structural…with teachers unions and the educational establishment resistant to change and protective of their HIGH pay/benefits and tenure…and less interested in the kids.
Many Republicans like myself believe that provision of VOUCHERS to parents are an excellent solution so that schools may COMPETE for the parents vouchers and poor kids can use them for public, private or religious based education rather than being locked into the failed schools that exist in far too many places. Vouchers will allow GOOD public schools to thrive and bad ones to go away in favor of new choices. I’ll save a discussion of college for another day…but I find much about the German system to admire. Note also that FEDERAL government involvement in education did not exist before 1975. It has been a failure in concept and results. It is time we took the federal control and gave it back to the states…along with the $$ budgeted.

And I totally share your views on the immigrants!
Good!

If taxes only went to roads and schools, the government would be running trillion dollar surpluses. I really can’t stand that argument for taxes.

Thank you very much for your answers, especially to “Cam”.
I got convincing answers from you and now have a new view to the problems of the US. I just picked up the information I got from the campaigns for the election (some things I already knew before), but no one really talked about solutions, it was rather blaming the other party for the problems…
I think the most important point we agree on is that the current situation is a mess and it should be changed. I am not deep into American politics and the background since my questions were rather superficial. Of course, I don’t know a perfect solution to the current state, if there is any, but it would be interesting to see if your ideas really work.
For the users who have read “Atlas Shrugged”: Do you think a state like that would work?

1. I’m not against health care for everyone. I’m against government-provided health care for everyone, including myself (and I have no income of my own, no insurance, and no prospects outside of government). In a purely capitalist health care environment, the incurred health care costs are for doctors and other medical care personnel, hospitals, medications, etc. In a government-provided health-care environment, you have all of that plus the cost of a huge government bureaucracy. You also have less accountability, and less interest in becoming a doctor or nurse. John Barron’s book MiG Pilot (true story about a Soviet fighter pilot who defected in 1976) reveals a taste of the potential for trouble with a government health care system. I say get Big Brother out of it.
  2. We don’t need nearly as much as we’re taxed for for military, roads, law enforcement/legal system, fire departments, and public libraries. Most of the money goes to wasteful and enabling (and dependence-inducing) welfare programs, scholarships (because the government is wise at choosing students who will make good?), and all kinds of grants/loans for all kinds of stupid studies, tasteless art, and pie-in-the-sky technologies.
  3. I don’t. I think they should pay more, but at the same percentage, and no deductions. Among other issues, you’d save a fortune in bureaucratic costs (which is why the lawyers will never let it happen).
  4. We’re angry about the illegal ones (of all races/ethnic backgrounds), and the legal ones who refuse to assimilate into our culture and try to remake the boondoggle that they fled in the first place. Evidence of this includes the pro-“undocumented” alien rallies where they fly both the U.S. flag and the Mexican flag. Florida is full of latino immigrants whom I am proud to call fellow Americans. One of them founded this site.
  5. They’re already doing that, and abandoned their base in the doing. I refused to vote for Romney because of it. I should have refused to vote for McCain in the previous election. The changes will undoubtedly come; and they’ll be our demise.
  6. Yes, and I place the blame squarely on leftist political policies (regardless of which party brought them about); social programs, overregulation of corporations, legal implementation of unfair advantages to labor unions which are steadily pricing American labor out of the market are all running the U.S. economy into a shoestring.

By the way, hi and welcome!

First of all, welcome.

1. “The man who can smile when things go wrong, has thought of someone else to blame it on.” Yeah, that sums up American politics nicely, blame the other side.

2. Not for very long. Human nature is what it is.

[quote=“alpha, post:1, topic:37037”]
Hey
First: Why are you against Health Care for everyone? Of course you think everyone should be able to choose and do whatever he/she wants, but here in Germany this system works well and everyone has a basic governmental insurance so that he can go to doctors when he’s sick.
[/quote]Probably everyone is for healthcare for everyone. If you’ve read “Atlas Shrugged,” you should have a good idea why it fails to deliver the best healthcare to everyone. Almost everyone in this thread gave you good answers too. Healthcare is like any other thing you need to buy in life, but it is radically more expensive today because something close to half of it is managed by a central planning committee, the government. That’s a very short answer. You’d be even better off spending time at mises.org to understand actual free market arguments regarding healthcare.

I just can’t find an answer to this question because as an individual you surely would not pay the construction companies to build the roads.
[/quote]Why not? But don’t worry, Republicans don’t generally believe in free markets for infrastructure. Most of the country, both major parties, supports publicly funded infrastructure and the taxes to fund it.

Second: Why do you think rich people should pay less taxes?
[/quote] Cam and others have answered this well, although I think taxes should be so minimal (if there are any at all) they barely register on the monthly budget. I’m not speaking for Republicans.

Third: Why are you so angry about latino immigrants. Of course, illegal immigration must be stopped, but the country has always been a country of immigrants. And I also understand that you hate to see illegal immigrants taking away the jobs of the Americans.
[/quote]Illegal immigrants cannot steal jobs. A job is a deal between two parties. It doesn’t matter the legal status of the immigrant. No American, no person, has a right to any particular job.

Again, I don’t speak for Republicans.

From my point of view in Europe the US slowly but steady loses its influence on World Economics and the power is shifting to Asia. Businesses are moving their production to cheap asian countries and thereby these countries become stronger and consume much more.
[/quote] Too much thinking collectively here. Trade is trade. When someone has something you want, you trade for it. That’s what’s happening. Regulation and government management of economic decisions has helped drive this. In a free market, those economies would soon reach a prosperous state and be on equal footing with the others. This does not diminish the quality of life for any trader. It improves it for all traders. The only obstacle to achieving widespread prosperity is government meddling in the markets.

Welcome and greetings.

[quote=“alpha, post:4, topic:37037”]
[COLOR=#333333]“Those who are fat or smoke for example have no right to rob my pocket for their medical bills.”
[/quote] It is an assumption that fat people and smokers have higher healthcare costs. You should question such basic assumptions. Consider that fat people and smokers die 10 years earlier than skinny nonsmokers. Fat smokers die even earlier. Unfortunately, I do not have a reference right at the moment, but a recent study demonstrated that skinny nonsmokers actually cost more during their lives because they spend so much time trying to stay alive longer.

In any case, introduce a public healthcare system, and it is only logical that taxpayers through their government begin regulating what people eat, drink and smoke and how they exercise. That infringement on liberty is yet another reason to adamantly oppose central healthcare planning. How can you be free if you’re not permitted to drink a beer without permission of the state – or smoke a cigarette or a joint?

[quote=“alpha, post:10, topic:37037”]

For the users who have read “Atlas Shrugged”: Do you think a state like that would work?
[/quote]Something like it, absolutely, yes; but Republicans are not really fond of the system you see in “Atlas Shrugged.” That is a libertarian book and has little to do with the struggle between the two major parties. Rather it has everything to do with the struggle against a Democrat-Republican paradigm that supports big government and central economic planning. Many, maybe most, republicans hold libertarians of all sorts in contempt. Republicans pay a lot of lip service to free markets, but I think the Republican establishment (and I would bet much of the rank and file, just like the Democrats) are afraid of an “unmanaged” economy.

Welcome to RO, alpha. Good questions, btw.

Welcome!!!