Reagan would be far too liberal for today's GOP

I pulled this from a comment I read.My take is the GOP is to the left of Reagan and as usual liberals like to skew history to tell us this.

**he raised taxes, grew the size of the federal government, ran huge, huge deficits, and had a sensible attitude toward immigration.

**https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/11/21/gop-voters-would-prefer-romney/WiU9f86jd19UkXYQfb2yxM/story.html#comments

Thoughts?

[quote=“samspade, post:1, topic:47790”]
I pulled this from a comment I read.My take is the GOP is to the left of Reagan and as usual liberals like to skew history to tell us this. **he raised taxes, grew the size of the federal government, ran huge, huge deficits, and had a sensible attitude toward immigration.**https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/11/21/gop-voters-would-prefer-romney/WiU9f86jd19UkXYQfb2yxM/story.html#commentsThoughts?
[/quote]Reagan was conservative not a right wingnut. The deficits are a problem though and it’s not a good legacy.

The obvious thing is that those were things he conceded to the Democrats in Congress to get his military spending. And the immigration policy was supposed to come with Congress sealing the border.

The fact is the GOP has more in common with the democrats than Reagan. Under the GOP spending and taxes have gone up. Reagan made the best of a bad situation and the democrats lied about everything including immigration. This administration is the epiphany of corruption with the GOP in bed with the democrats.

[quote=“samspade, post:4, topic:47790”]
The fact is the GOP has more in common with the democrats than Reagan. Under the GOP spending and taxes have gone up. Reagan made the best of a bad situation and the democrats lied about everything including immigration. This administration is the epiphany of corruption with the GOP in bed with the democrats.
[/quote]You are only making excuses for Reagan that you refuse to say…Ryan.

So tell me why you think Reagan was bad oh obama

[quote=“samspade, post:6, topic:47790”]
So tell me why you think Reagan was bad oh obama
[/quote]What???

And the “deficits” were NOT his legacy. The were the legacy of the Democrats who controlled Congress for his entire 8-year tenure. His only mistake was in NOT wielding the veto pen more vigorously when they presented him with 3,000-page “budgets” one DAY before it needed to be signed to keep the government from shutting down. His “advisors” kept telling him that if he vetoed the budgets, SS recipients wouldn’t get their checks and some would “starve” as a result, or that the military wouldn’t get paid or the stock market would crash or the country would be thrown into utter chaos. As we know NOW, that wouldn’t happen, but Reagan’s advisors told him that would be the result. His WORST deficit was around $400 billion. Obama’s have AVERAGED around $1 TRILLION.

And the GOP has been trusting these same Ds to keep their word ever since; same results!!

One would think one could draw a conclusion from that, but obviously not! :angry26:

Reagan also agreed to a minor tax raise in exchange for Democrats promising to cut spending. Instead, they spent around $1.62 for every NEW dollar of income that resulted from his original tax lowering in his first term. When a Democrat promises to “cut spending” you’d better hold onto your wallet, because they are lying in their teeth. Even the “cuts” they have approved–as rare as that is–were minor “cuts” in the RATE of increase and not real CUTS. There’s not a government agency in existence, other than Defense, which has EVER sustained significant cuts in their budgets. Not one.

He supported gun control.

I wish the GOP would emphasize his (actual, reasoned) foreign policy more.

There is no “Far Right” in mainstream American Politics anymore so I would consider Reagan Middle Right Populist if he were to be judged by todays standards …

Ronald Reagan is not an icon of the Right because of his ideological purity it is because he took a country in shambles at home and abroad and turned it around.

His “actual, reasoned” foreign policy was to make us the baddest SOB on the planet and DARE someone else to take us on. It was no accident that the hostages in Iran were released just as he was taking the oath of office. Iran KNEW that he wouldn’t play around with them as Carter had done.

More likely, he and Iran struck a cynical deal. But since it got the hostages home, the only ones who could complain were the Dems.

Interesting he didn’t deplete the military by engaging in meaningless occupations.

France not allowing the B1B Bombers to overfly its Airspace on way to Bomb Kadafi’s Tent did not give him pause.

Oh, BS, Jazzhead. You’re buying into that nonsense put out by the Democrats (again) that he sent Bush rushing off in a Blackhawk to a meeting in Madrid to urge the Iranians to hold onto the prisoners. That was debunked ages ago. Fact is, he scared the Iranians almost as much as he scared the Democrats…with reason.

Another time; sadly long gone!!

F-111s, actually. They were based in Great Britain.