REAL Salsa (And it ain't Made in New Yawk City!)

SALSA (about a gallon)

12 Cups chopped fresh tomatoes, (mostly drained)
3 Cups chopped green peppers
2-3 Cups chopped carrots
3 Cups chopped onions
1 Cup (+/-, to taste) celery
4 Cloves garlic; finely chopped
3/4 Cups finely chopped habanero peppers (10-12)
1 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. tabasco
1 Cup honey
1/2 Cup Cider Vinegar

Cook, 45 minutes. Spoon into jars.
Can @ 11lbs. for 50 mins.

[quote=“2cent, post:1, topic:40612”]
SALSA (about a gallon)

12 Cups chopped fresh tomatoes, (mostly drained)
3 Cups chopped green peppers
2-3 Cups chopped carrots
3 Cups chopped onions
1 Cup (+/-, to taste) celery
4 Cloves garlic; finely chopped
3/4 Cups finely chopped habanero peppers (10-12)
1 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. tabasco
1 Cup honey
1/2 Cup Cider Vinegar

Cook, 45 minutes. Spoon into jars.
Can @ 11lbs. for 50 mins.
[/quote]Just Askin, 2cent. Do you like cilantro? Most salsas I make have at least a small amount.

I’m in Mexico City right now and will find a REAL salsa recipe for y’all.

Same here. We do not cook our salsa though. Is that common?

You could always just ask me… >_> Not like I not a Mexican or anything…

Did you know that people who find cilantro repugnant (me, among others) have a genetic disposition to dislike cilantro? I read about that years ago. It’s genetically linked the same way being able to curl your tongue under itself is and people who cannot sit “Indian” style. (Most people who cannot sit “Indian” style can sit with the bottom part of their leg (from the knee down) bent outward and back…my bones would break if I tried that.) I can’t even stand to smell the stuff–it tastes and smells like soap to me. I use parsley (fresh), usually Italian lemon parsley, in recipes where cilantro is part of it.

I once went to a Russian restaurant in Richmond, VA with my sisters. No matter what you ordered, the chefs sprinkled a gob of dried cilantro over it. It was awful.

I make my own salsa pretty much as 2cent has written, although I don’t use habanero peppers–they’re WAAAAAY too hot for me. :devil: I might put a small amount of jalapeno papper in it, but very little.

I don’t care for cilantro.
Btw, that’s my husband’s recipe. He’s the one who grew up eating hot peppers, etc. I don’t touch the stuff. (Even evacuate the kitchen as he’s making it.)

For Chili Powder, (we call it “Killi” Powder), he dries mass quantities of habaneros, then grinds them to sprinkle atop many dishes.

I’d have to constantly be walking around with a fire hose…

[QUOTE=ClassicalTeacher;611690**]Did you know that people who find cilantro repugnant (me, among others) have a genetic disposition to dislike cilantro? I read about that years ago. It’s genetically linked the same way being able to curl your tongue under itself is and people who cannot sit “Indian” style. (Most people who cannot sit “Indian” style can sit with the bottom part of their leg (from the knee down) bent outward and back…my bones would break if I tried that.)** I can’t even stand to smell the stuff–it tastes and smells like soap to me. I use parsley (fresh), usually Italian lemon parsley, in recipes where cilantro is part of it.

I once went to a Russian restaurant in Richmond, VA with my sisters. No matter what you ordered, the chefs sprinkled a gob of dried cilantro over it. It was awful.

I make my own salsa pretty much as 2cent has written, although I don’t use habanero peppers–they’re WAAAAAY too hot for me. :devil: I might put a small amount of jalapeno papper in it, but very little.[/QUOTE]
And like people who are terrified by spiders? My daughter is one of those; she read somewhere that it might be a deficiency of some kind. That, of course, is not likely to apply to the body contortions!

1 Like

We’re much in the same boat.
I can tell from the next room when he’s messing w/those recipes. The aroma alone, I think gets in my sinuses. My eyes start to water; the whole nine yards.

AND he uses the blender to turn his habaneros into powder. How many times do you think I wash THAT before I’m satisfied; considering that I don’t even shake extra black pepper on anything. Too hot!

Mr. 2, otoh, would be happier if he could get ahold of some local Serrano’s. I. Don’t. THINK. So!
There’s a hotter one - can’t think of it’s name - that even Mexicans down in Mexico keep hidden away from regular customers, as it can cause real damage to somebody who isn’t accustomed to such height of ‘hot.’

I’ll admit, Mr. 2 can’t eat the hot he once did, but that ain’t saying much! lol

When I was growing up, my mother (100% Italian) always kept jars of Italian-style hot peppers (don’t know if you’ve ever seen them–not the ones in vinegar, but in oil) or she’d make her own. I could eat them by the gallon. I loved them. But, as I grew older, I found I could tolerate them less and less to the point now where I can’t eat hot peppers anymore. My grandfather at 89 years old could still eat them…and I used to make them for him even though I didn’t eat them anymore.

I think I know the peppers you are referring to. I don’t remember the name either, but if I remember correctly they might be some kind of Asian pepper–maybe Mandarin. The Chinese have very hot and spicy dishes. And did you ever taste that green stuff the Japanese use on sushi? I think it’s called wasabi sauce, but I’m telling you it takes only a tiny dot on your tongue to set your little wagon on fire, man! It’s also loaded with horseradish, which takes your breath away. So, basically it’s a “death wish” hot sauce. I do use black pepper, but sparingly–just enough to give it a little taste. I used to have a friend who would coat a hamburger until it disappeared under layers of black pepper. I don’t know how she managed to eat it.

Three ripe mango’s(still somewhat firm) peeled and finely diced. Two habanero peppers finely minced. 1/2 finely diced red onion. 4 cloves garlic, finely minced. a bit of cilantro finely minced, the juice of two limes and a pinch of sea salt. Mix everything well in a bowl and go to town. This stuff is great on chicken or fish tacos.

Fish tacos???
You’re not serious.
Somebody in New Yawk City musta come up with that gawd-awful whatever.

In my mind, spices are supposed to enhance, not overpower, the flavor of the food you are cooking.

Even with something some consider as benign as black pepper. If you can taste the black pepper over the mashed peppers, it’s overdone.

(I will not order mashed potatoes in a restaurant because most consider black pepper a “main ingredient.” Ya do that, and you’ve done ruined any mashed 'taters I can eat.)

[quote=“2cent, post:13, topic:40612”]
Fish tacos???
You’re not serious.
[/quote]No, I had them in Mexico.

[quote=“JStang, post:15, topic:40612”]
No, I had them in Mexico.
[/quote]So did I.

You have got to be kidding me. (Facetiously meant, of course.)

I can’t think of anything more…
Nevermind. Let’s just say, I doubt I’d care for them.

Wanna know the name… Asians use lots of different chili peppers which all vary drastically in intensity. Nobody in my family trusts me anymore when asked if I think something is hot if that gives you any indication. … I don’t blame them either.

No tomatoes? How can it be salsa without tomatoes?

(Hey OSB: You’ve had the Italian hot peppers in oil in jars haven’t you? Asking because I think they’re only a Chicago thing.)

[quote=“2cent, post:13, topic:40612”]
Fish tacos???
You’re not serious.
[/quote]Nope. I ate my first fish taco in Tijuana, 50 some odd years ago. Also, Tacos con Camerones.(shrimp). Delicious.

OSB, you and I are oil and vinegar here, but as far as good eats, we have similar tastes, methinks.