REAL Salsa (And it ain't Made in New Yawk City!)

Fish tacos just sound like such a terrible way to eat fish. I honestly thought people were joking about fish tacos.

1 Like

[quote=“ClassicalTeacher, post:21, topic:40612”]
Fish tacos just sound like such a terrible way to eat fish. I honestly thought people were joking about fish tacos.
[/quote]Yes, it DOES sound maybe a little icky, but the fish is firm, like Atlantic Cod, GRILLED AND CRISPY most of the time (but not always), and the shrimp variety is really really tasty.

1 Like

Bobjam: Well, the fish itself looks good, but I’d have to eat it by itself. It looks better than what I imagined. I don’t like a lot of “stuff” on fish. I like it broiled with a little butter, lemon, and some light herbs–that’s it. I don’t care too much for breaded and fried fish, although I will eat a fish sandwich once in awhile. But, I pretty much prefer fish broiled or baked. And…well…I don’t like shrimp no matter how it’s made.

[quote=“ClassicalTeacher, post:23, topic:40612”]
breaded and fried fish
[/quote]Sometimes it’s breaded, but I like it better when it’s not. The image shown is NOT breaded, but rather GRILLED.

And there’s a BIG difference between “fried” and “grilled”. Good fish tacos, to me anyway, are neither breaded nor fried.

There is a flavor, probably because of all the other ingredients in tacos AND the shell, that is unique to fish tacos. Fish prepared by itself, as you described, IS good. But fish tacos give the fish an entirely different flavor.

If you don’t like your fish grilled and crispy, perhaps a baked halibut steak would work in a taco for you. A taco would give that halibut steak a new flavor for you, and I think you’d like it.

Of course a lot of it has to do with how you marinate the fish for using in a taco, and the other ingredients and spices.

Shredded red cabbage is good in a fish taco, and perhaps some Salsa like OSB uses.

The way you describe it, I think I’d try it. I love halibut, but it is so expensive now. Swordfish is another of my favorites, but that is even more expensive than halibut. I like cod because it is firm–I don’t like real “soft” (don’t know how else to describe it) like Turbot, Bass, Flounder, Ocean Perch, Scrod, and Monkfish. If I could have any fish that I want, I think I would have to choose Swordfish or Halibut. I also like salmon, but it has to be fresh–the frozen stuff is nasty. I once made a whole salmon stuffed with crabmeat stuffing for Christmas Eve one year. It was the best salmon I ever had–I bought it from a fishmonger right off the Atlantic Ocean in south Florida.

Here in Mexico there are some amazing fish tacos.

My husband decided he’d nibble on one of those Ghost peppers the other night.
Dude’s insane.

Oh. And y’all are right about those fish taco’s. He grew up w/them, too.
I’d never heard of such a thing before.

I’m crazy… but the ghost pepper? I ain’t THAT crazy. YOWCH! Would be worth the youtube watching if you recorded it though… lol

[quote=“Maylar, post:18, topic:40612”]
Wanna know the name… Asians use lots of different chili peppers
[/quote]One of my brothers (the Democrat from Florida), one time when we were at a Dim Sum place in LA, thought he’d show us all how macho he was.

So he reached into the jar of Asian chilli peppers that were on the table (I think it was those little red jobs that Thai’s use a lot in their dishes), pulled out a handful, and put them in his mouth . . . with the comment that “you guys are sissies . . . watch this.”

Beads of sweat began to show on his forehead, and soon he was grabbing for everyone’s glasses of water, and gasping.

So much for “macho” demonstrations . . . figures it would be a Democrat.

2 Likes

We were at our friends; the ones who decided to grow a plant full. She used her cell camera to video it, but he, of course, kept his composure.

Him? Show that he couldn’t do ‘hot’??? He’s hilarious.
(And no, not generally over-stuffed w/an overgrown ego.)

Actually, he handled it well. But it wasn’t much of a bite. Still, better than I thought he (or anybody) would.
Then he took aNOTHER bite.
Guy’s nuts. Smart enough to avoid the seeds, at least.

…and that kisses were out of the question. lol

[quote=“BobJam, post:22, topic:40612”]
Yes, it DOES sound maybe a little icky, but the fish is firm, like Atlantic Cod, GRILLED AND CRISPY most of the time (but not always), and the shrimp variety is really really tasty.

[/quote]Yummy, looks delicious.

Try this recipe. You’ll not regret it.

1/2 lb salad shrimp cooked.
1/2 lb bay scallops, cooked and chopped into bite-sized pieces
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 -2 garlic clove, chopped
fresh ground pepper
1 tablespoon seasoning salt

Directions:

Chop all fresh ingredients and place in a large bowl.
Add the chopped seafood.
Slowly add lime juice until everything is incorporated. You may need more than is in the ingredients list.
Add seasoning salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
Feel free to add tomatoes, corn, or anything else you might like. It is also okay to use all shrimp or all scallops or to substitute in just about any other shellfish or white fish that you like.
Refrigerate at least 3 hours, for salsa, or use warm, for taco filling.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with tortilla chips or as taco filling.

1 Like

In his mind, it was probably your fault that he did it. LOL!

1 Like