Red All Over: Newspaper Revenues Fall In Q3

Red All Over: Newspaper Revenues Fall In Q3
by Erik Sass, Nov 21, 2012, 2:09 PM
MediaPost.com

The second half of the year isn’t bringing any relief to the newspaper industry, with total advertising revenues falling 5.1% from $5.56 billion in the third quarter of 2011 to $5.27 billion in the third quarter of 2012.

Revenue declines were spread across all the major newspaper ad categories. National advertising fell 10.4% from $823 million to $738 million, retail was down 6% from $2.8 billion to $2.64 billion, and classifieds slipped 4.8% from $1.2 billion to $1.14 billion.

As in previous quarters, online ad revenues posted modest growth with a 3.6% increase from $733 million to $759 million.

This is the 25th straight quarter of ad revenue declines, according to the NAA. From 2006-2011, total newspaper ad revenues plunged 51.5% from $49.3 billion to $23.9 billion.

Online revenues continue to be a relatively small part of the overall business, representing 14.4% of total newspaper ad revenues in the third quarter of 2012. That’s up from 13.2% in the third quarter of 2011.

That 51.5% cliff-fall for newspaper ad revenue does not include this year’s revenue fall! And while online revenue grew a little, it’s far from significant enough to offset print ad revenue plunges! I’ve said it before, newspapers are being driven before a “perfect storm” of distrust of the MSM, people switching to the Internet for their news, some people not giving a d#$n about news, and reduced national literacy.

I was just talking to the local rag the other day telling the young lady I was thinking of just getting the Sunday paper instead of the whole week. I explained to her that by the time I get the paper I have read the stories on the internet sometimes days before. I did not mention that another one of my beefs was that any stories about Obama were put in the best light possible.

I figure receiving just the sunday paper would still allow me to get the gist of the news and still access the online edition if I want local stuff. Usually during the week the issues are rather thin and I read mostly the obits and the comics.

I do not do circulars nor clip coupons.