Remodeling budget savers

Use Freecycle, or similar sites to post what you want and to pass on the items you no longer need. Don’t be afraid to visit flea markets, thrift stores or charitable stores in order to find what you need. I recently bought a 200 dollar light fixture for 75 bucks at a local thrift shop.Appliances have skyrocketed in price, take advantage of another person’s remodeling by using refurbished appliances.

Another voice from the past heard! Hi, EE, stick around for a while. I’ve used Freecycle, got rid of a bunch of fairly good stuff I could no longer use, as well as some junk. And I got a really nice set of encyclopedias (FC was wanting something newer than what he had, which, I believe [and he still has it] is dated 1957).

A friend of mine once said, (and there’s a lot of truth in this): “You spend the first 50 years of you life collecting stuff, and the next 50 trying to get rid of it.”

[quote=“evilelvis, post:1, topic:43275”]
Use Freecycle, or similar sites to post what you want and to pass on the items you no longer need. Don’t be afraid to visit flea markets, thrift stores or charitable stores in order to find what you need. I recently bought a 200 dollar light fixture for 75 bucks at a local thrift shop.Appliances have skyrocketed in price, take advantage of another person’s remodeling by using refurbished appliances.
[/quote]I used to work for an auction company. I found out that there are Salvage companies that frequent liquidation auctions, buying up entire department stores and other concerns and reselling them from a warehouse, at pennies on the dollar.
One such salvage company in our area, Repo Salvage, has bargains you cannot find, elsewhere. For example, I bought a very large jetted garden tub, for 200 bucks, with the shrink wrap still on it. The same quality tub from the local home improvement store was over a thousand bucks. They were also selling a 2000 dollar refrigerator, brand new, for 600 bucks. All the features you’d expect, for about 30% of the MSRP.
Places like this are quite common.

1 Like