Report: Lego To Stop Production Of ‘Star Wars’ Set Due To Anti-Muslim Backlash

April 1, 2013 12:38 PM

ENFIELD, Conn. (CBS Connecticut) — Lego will reportedly cease production of a popular “Star Wars” toy set after Muslim communities complained about the product.

The Independent reports that several Muslim groups in Austria claimed “Jabba’s Palace” was anti-Muslim as it showed popular “Star Wars” character Jabba the Hut in a mosque-like lair with a hookah, guns and an imprisoned Chewbacca.

OK, I did some Googling, and despite the publication date, this appears to be real rather than an April Fools Day prank. **IF TRUE:

The stupid is strong in this one!

Lego should have known better! They should have made Jabba’s palace look like a ranch style or Cape Cod style house!**

:Thud:

I didnt think muslims bought legos, they dont make very good shrapnel

If a Christian group was upset they’d say “screw you”…Some muslims will start blowing stuff up…

The heck they don’t! Ever step on one in the middle of the night? LOL

From the OP:

Melissa Gunes, spokeswoman for Austria’s Turkish Cultural Association, told The Independent. “The game is pedagogical dynamite. It depicts Muslims as terrorists.”

(Aside from being malarky)…Say it ain’t so!.

Still:

In a statement, Lego says the decision to stop production of the set didn’t come from the criticism.“As a normal process products in the LEGO Star Wars assortment usually have a life-cycle of one to three years after which they leave the assortment and may be renewed after some years,” the statement read. “The LEGO Star Wars product Jabba’s Palace 9516 was planned from the beginning to be in the assortment only until the end of 2013 as new exiting models from the Star Wars universe will follow.

Me thinks the headline is a tad misleading.

Me thinks the headline is a tad misleading.

Definitely. In fact it’s meaning is pretty much the reverse of what the article reports. But my habit is to use an article’s title (or an edited version of it, if too long) as the thread Subject.

Tim Hawkins on Legos:

Or not: LEGO.com About Us Reaction to criticism of LEGO Star Wars product:

Yeah, can’t trust those media people:

HuffPo UK

The Telegraph

CBS (linked in OP)

Yahoo! India

NBC News

[quote=“PeteS_in_CA, post:1, topic:38905”]
April 1, 2013 12:38 PM

OK, I did some Googling, and despite the publication date, this appears to be real rather than an April Fools Day prank. IF TRUE:
Lego should have known better! They should have made Jabba’s palace look like a ranch style or Cape Cod style house!

[/quote] It’s a real news story but it’s not true that that’s why they’re pulling that set according to Lego. They don’t do permanant runs of sets.

Jabba’s Palace has been scheduled to exit in 2013 since launch & not due to critique. [QUOTE]The LEGO Group@LEGO_Group
No. We typically keep a product in the assortment for a few years & it was scheduled to exit end 13 when it was launched last yr.
8:19 PM - 01 Apr 13
LEGO.com About Us Reaction to criticism of LEGO Star Wars product:[/QUOTE] Right wing media latches on to a morsel and runs with it like a monkey going after the last banana.

I knew there was a reason I hated those Sand People.

huffington post is right wing :rofl::rofl::rofl:

watch out your agenda is showing

[quote=“UNTRugby, post:11, topic:38905”]

[/quote]Why I heard the same of MediaMatters:smack:

Sounds like someone saw a chance to hurt a great capitalist company, and took advantage of it.

Jabba’s Palace has been scheduled to exit in 2013 since launch & not due to critique.

The LEGO Group@LEGO_Group
No. We typically keep a product in the assortment for a few years & it was scheduled to exit end 13 when it was launched last yr.
8:19 PM - 01 Apr 13 LEGO.com About Us Reaction to criticism of LEGO Star Wars product:

[quote=“UNTRugby, post:11, topic:38905”]

[/quote] Didn’t see it at Huffington. Regardless the story isn’t true.

Correct but all of the media reported wrong and you only blamed the “right wing” media. See the problem?

[quote=“UNTRugby, post:16, topic:38905”]
Correct but all of the media reported wrong and you only blamed the “right wing” media. See the problem?
[/quote] A quick 30 second Google search and glance, I noticed Right wing sources on the first page,(Blaze, Daily caller,). After that I just went straight to the horses mouth.

Heh! Exactly why I included HuffPo UK in my list of links. OTOH, there’s the absurdity of CBS and NBC being labelled, “Right wing media”. I only included them because they’re mainstream “real” journalists, not as a snare for a resident liberal to step in.

Thing is, both stories could be true. Lego may have been planning to stop production of the set by the end of 2013, but ended production under pressure from Muslim groups who weren’t mollified by Lego’s January announcement that the set in question would be going away at the end of this year (and hyper-vehiculating George Lucas).

Didn’t see it at Huffington.

It was the first source on my list in the post just before yours (which I posted 20 minutes before your post). Then, too, had you glanced at my OP, you would have seen the linked article was from CBS, and I always include the source of every article I post. And glancing down my list of sources that posted the story, you might have noticed NBC. Were you blinded by your bias, OSB?

[quote=“PeteS_in_CA, post:18, topic:38905”]
Heh! Exactly why I included HuffPo UK in my list of links. OTOH, there’s the absurdity of CBS and NBC being labelled, “Right wing media”. I only included them because they’re mainstream “real” journalists, not as a snare for a resident liberal to step in.

Thing is, both stories could be true. Lego may have been planning to stop production of the set by the end of 2013, but ended production under pressure from Muslim groups who weren’t mollified by Lego’s January announcement that the set in question would be going away at the end of this year (and hyper-vehiculating George Lucas).
[/quote] According to my co-worker who collects lego’s with an obsession and Lego themselves, this set is still in production and will continue to be until the scheduled pull date. I do think it’s BS that Lego acknowledged this either way. The Turks whining about this have never even seen Star Wars. Jabba the Hut is a “bad man” and makes them look bad? WTF.