Report: Lois Lerner has been Placed on Administrative Leave

Report: Lois Lerner has been Placed on Administrative Leave
by Bryan Preston

2013/05/23

NRO’s Eliana Johnson reports that some disciplinary action may have been taken against IRS abuse scandal figure Lois Lerner.

[quote]Lois Lerner, the Internal Revenue Service’s director of exempt organizations, has been placed on administrative leave, according to a source in the agency’s Cincinnati office.

IRS agents such as Lerner are supposed to avoid committing the “10 Deadly Sins.” According to GovExec, they are:

1. Providing a false statement under oath with respect to a material matter involving a taxpayer or taxpayer representative.
  1. With respect to a taxpayer, taxpayer representative or other employee of the IRS, the violation of any right under the Constitution or federal laws such as the 1964 Civil Rights Act and the 1990 Americans With Disabilities Act.
  2. Violations of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, Treasury Department regulations or IRS policies for the purpose of retaliating against, or harassing, a taxpayer, taxpayer representative, or other employee of the IRS.
  1. Willful misuse of the provisions of Section 6103 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 for the purpose of concealing information from a congressional inquiry.
    [/quote]
    I’m not ready to sing, “Ding-dong the witch got fired!” yet, but Lerner may have gotten hyper-vehiculated. Or this might be something much less and/or much less than deserved. Whether she’s ready and willing to be the scape-goat may be the next, interesting, question. And I hope it is. Even at her level and degree of partisanship, I think it doubtful that she risked her high-level job on her personal initiative. And if she was following order or had permission from on high, what might she be able to prove?

Paid administrative leave. Pete, we should all have a job that pays us to stay home while allowing us to build time toward our retirement and annual pay increases.

Hey, I’d love that myself.

Like I said, I’m not ready to throw a party. The administrative leave might be a precursor - terms dictated by civil service regs - to being fired. Or it might be a paid vacation - get her out of the public eye for a bit (out of sight, out of mind … take advantage of a presumed short public attention span) - that is a precursor to a promotion.

An update to the OP article:

Update: The official IRS timeline of abuse says that Lerner learned of it in 2012 and stopped it. Turns out, whenever she learned of it, she sent letters out to several of the abused groups that continued it.

[quote]Lerner, the director of the IRS exempt organizations office in Washington, D.C., signed cover letters to 15 conservative organizations currently represented by the American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ) between in March and April of 2012. The letters, such as this one sent to the Ohio Liberty Council on March 16, 2012, informed the groups applying for tax-exempt status that the IRS was “unable to make a final determination on your exempt status without additional information,” and included a list of detailed questions of the kind that a Treasury inspector general’s audit found to be inappropriate. …
[/quote]

And a Lerner update on another front:

Lois Lerner, Slapped With Lawsuit Papers at Home

Couldn’t happen to a nicer … lady.

Admittedly, I skimmed the stories, so if it included the part that she refused to leave, so they FORCED her into a paid vacation, I missed it.

I do like this comment from Pete’s last link:

So, if she was being sued in her official capacity she would be entitled to attorney representation from the IRS? Does this mean she doesn’t get to use representation retained by the IRS? If not, I think this is a stroke of genius because it puts her in a position to start digging into her own pockets to fight the heat. She may just get a lot more compliant and willing to answer questions…maybe even start selling out her superiors (whether accusations are true or not!).

Hmm. Dunno if it’ll make her spill the beans, but it sure will be fun thinking of her going broke trying NOT to! LOL

The best way, IMO, to learn how far up the DC feeding chain this (and other “scandals”) go is to bring pressure to bear on the small and medium sized fish who get hypervehiculated and scape-goated. Once they’re under the bus they can see clearly that their higher ups are usinjg them as shields rather than shielding them. Hopefully that unseals some lips and loosens some tongues.

And, yeah, even if applying heat doesn’t help Lerner see the light, there’s a significant element of justice in her being subjected to what she inflicted on innocent citizens simply wanting to be active in society and politics.

Lois Lerner learned her arrogance well.
She must be well-connected.

She’ll find out how well just as soon as they throw her under the bus.